Yeats help please. (1 Viewer)

Lordie

HSC
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how you should approach a Yeats Essay to get into the A range? My best is 15/20, and I want to push it up.

Is it best to answer the question, poem by poem, showing techniques/their structure/direct quoting from the poems, and using readings with them?

Or, is it best to go by themes, and then just show how poems support these themes?

Thanks.

ant191

HSC
yeah but we were told that it also needs to include also needs to include a criticts response into the essay, and you challenge or agree with the critic

hahahayley

HSC
Lordie said:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how you should approach a Yeats Essay to get into the A range? My best is 15/20, and I want to push it up.

Is it best to answer the question, poem by poem, showing techniques/their structure/direct quoting from the poems, and using readings with them?

Or, is it best to go by themes, and then just show how poems support these themes?

Thanks.
I go poem by poem, based on date. Mention various readings, support them with quotes from the text and critics quotes.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I have been getting very good marks for this module but with the HSC you never know...

I have never mentioned readings in my answers, I tend to rely on my own personal interpretation which I think is what the markers are looking for however if there is a reading you agree with and you can show why then it's fine to use that in your answer. I also include the context of the poem and how that shaped Yeats' creation and my interpretation.

I tend to answer poem by poem and put them in an order that will link together well for my arguement. It is VERY important to use specific, helpful and direct quotes from the text because as it is a critical study, a very detailed knowledge of the work is needed.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to do it, and that's just my two cents.

Last edited:

Lordie

HSC
Caitlin63 said:
I have been getting very good marks for this module but with the HSC you never know...

I have never mentioned readings in my answers, I tend to rely on my own personal interpretation which I think is what the markers are looking for however if there is a reading you agree with and you can show why then it's fine to use that in your answer. I also include the context of the poem and how that shaped Yeats' creation and my interpretation.

I tend to answer poem by poem and put them in an order that will link together well for my arguement. It is VERY important to use specific, helpful and direct quotes from the text because as it is a critical study, a very detailed knowledge of the work is needed.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to do it, and that's just my two cents.
Thanks. That's generally the way I approach them too.

When you use your interpretation, what do you say, not simply, "My interpretation, eh?"

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
No, I just talk about the themes and how they can be taken in different context to give the poetry enduring power eg Easter 1916, while written for a specific historical context addresses aspects of the universal human condition making in applicable to our society today... yada yada. :p
Best of luck on monday

Lordie

HSC
Caitlin63 said:
No, I just talk about the themes and how they can be taken in different context to give the poetry enduring power eg Easter 1916, while written for a specific historical context addresses aspects of the universal human condition making in applicable to our society today... yada yada. :p
Best of luck on monday
Thanks. It's good to know I'm doing the right things. Heh.

Good luck to you as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)