• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Yet another idea for this forum--student "experts" based on their faith backgrounds (3 Viewers)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I have an idea. Dont know if it will work or not though....

The idea is based on the premise that the 'average' SOR student is from a Catholic school/background (statistically I think Im safe in assuming this).
The aim is to identify certain members (dont have to be SOR students/posters) that are 'practicing members' of non-catholic/christian background/influence to have as 'experts' (am using this term very loosely) that may be able to answer any questions of 'practice' or beliefs as relating to non-christian faiths. (Heck, we could expand this to include "practicing" Christian variants as well eg Sportsgal is of Orthodox background I think...)

We obviously have two 'Jewish' students here in Ezzy and Igor (either by faith or background) that can find out Jewish 'stuff'/answer questions as they arise. I also nominate asking Saul as he is from a pretty traditional background (conservative?) and Im sure he wouldnt mind helping out.

Any feedback (positive, negative or nominating members and their religion) on this, please add to the thread I have started on this idea.

The main issue will be approaching identified members..... maybe a post in non-school and school??

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by snapperhead
The main issue will be approaching identified members..... maybe a post in non-school and school??

:uhhuh: I agee. :uhhuh:

Actually, that's a really good idea, maybe you should talk to Lazarus about it too. :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i could help with basics of hinduism....i mean very basics :p

well, not many people do hinduism anyway...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
id be happy to help out for the jewish side. im not really practising or religious but i do know a little bit.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
You do realise that the Wollongong Catholic church has gone all crazy right about now. but i don't know enough about Religion to be an expert and stuff :p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
well i went to a catholic school for 12years of my life, but i'm not catholic, but pretty much knows more than the average christian :)

i have a buddhist background, i know most of the basics, but i'm not a buddhist LOL

i also studied Judaism for hsc and know all the technical stuff, but will never have as much knowledge as a real Jew

Igor

HSC
N/A
i will help if i can. if i don't know the answer, or I'm not sure then I'll find out.

heh, i'm probably one of the few people who know little about Catholocism/ Christianity.... i never did religion classes in school, so i've been learning about all the things all you Christians do.

i knew there were simmilarities between Judaism and Christianity but i didn't know there were that many, or that they were SO simmilar.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
are you russian as well? that would be weird seeing another russian here let alone another jew.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I think its a good idea as long as if someone doesn't know the answer, they say that and don't make up things or refer them to another person, or another website.
Edit:
By the way I'm muslim. Happy to help. Might not notice a post in here, but then just PM me.

Last edited:

Igor

HSC
N/A
are you russian as well? that would be weird seeing another russian here let alone another jew.
sorry, me no Russian. I'm a racial mongrel; bit o' this, bit o' that.

Saul

*ss
HSC
We obviously have two 'Jewish' students here in Ezzy and Igor (either by faith or background) that can find out Jewish 'stuff'/answer questions as they arise. I also nominate asking Saul as he is from a pretty traditional background (conservative?) and Im sure he wouldnt mind helping out.
hehe i'm really not at all... i just know a little bit about judaism (i'm reform and enjoy nothing more than a burger full of meat cheese and bacon)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
my bad Saul...sorry!!! Stupid internet, giving me false hope!! (or Im just stupid)

BTW...do you mind if we bug you every now and again??

@ Zoe...dont be too cynical!! LOL

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
looks like we have most if not all of the bases covered..... any suggestions as to where we go from here? Or other ppl we can ask to help out? (the more the merrier I reckon)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
soiled_poncho said:
Just pretend to have an interesting cultural background.

I'll be happy to pretend to be part of a religion.
Intresting idea, ok i think im going to be Estonian.

snapperhead said:
looks like we have most if not all of the bases covered..... any suggestions as to where we go from here? Or other ppl we can ask to help out? (the more the merrier I reckon)
I thought ideas are meant to die about here? (i've got nothing) hmmm

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I was thinking more of a permanent post outlining that these ppl have volunteered to help with these religions but only after you googled it or something (ie they are not your one and only source- dont want to annoy too many people). Maybe requests should be posted and then passed on...
I dont know. I can organise the permanent announcement thingy (or at least I can ask next time Im visiting the moderators forum) but the wording is kinda important...any suggestions??

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Maybe just make the post up (not as an announcement, it will stay close to the top, not that many new threads get started) and trial it and see if it works. if it does then bother to write the email to get it sticked. Also people usually tend to be leaving soon anyway, unless your werid like Santa *cough*

Igor

HSC
N/A
"i'm reform and enjoy nothing more than a burger full of meat cheese and bacon"

heh... ME TOO!!! Bacon, eggs and milk for breakfast. aint nothing better.

my computer sucks, so the quote tags aren't working 4 me today. so I'll just pretend to know what i'm talking about and you can all pretend to know what i'm talking about and it'll all be ticketty-boo.

why not have in the post/sticky a list of all the different people and their area of expertiese? and then invite people to p.m. the ones that can help ... *after googling*

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Igor said:
"i'm reform and enjoy nothing more than a burger full of meat cheese and bacon"

heh... ME TOO!!! Bacon, eggs and milk for breakfast. aint nothing better.

my computer sucks, so the quote tags aren't working 4 me today. so I'll just pretend to know what i'm talking about and you can all pretend to know what i'm talking about and it'll all be ticketty-boo.

why not have in the post/sticky a list of all the different people and their area of expertiese? and then invite people to p.m. the ones that can help ... *after googling*
sounds like a plan its just that the wording has to be right so the "experts" dont get hammered by lazy posters.... will have to see on of the admins (probably Laz) to get it stickied ...our mod is on holidays I think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)