you interested in Engineering? (3 Viewers)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
well, after obtaining your results, are there people who are interested or planning to do an engineering course? I do but i cant decide to goto whether USYD or UNSW. i heard UNSW has a better reputation, is it true?

By the way, I'm planning to do Chemical Engineering, anybody doing the same? what are your thoughts on this ay course?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I have both computer and software engineering as two of my preferences @ UNSW. However my first preference is Information Technology @ USYD, but if i dont get that then im thinking about maybe doing a combined degree of computer science and engineering at UNSW.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
UNSW has a solid rep for Engineering, whereas Usyd has a focus on medicine and science, and UTS is primarily a computers and IT uni

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Alot of my friends that are going to uni want to do engineering. I don't know why, is their good money in it?

sig

HSC
B Commerce/ B Engineering (Mechatronics) @ UNSW

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Chemical Eng cutoff at USYD is 82.8 last year, for UNSW is 80.2 or something like that, i just feel my efforts during my hsc is kinda wasted if i dont pick the course with higher cutoff thats all, cos people been telling me that UNSW has a better reputation for engineering, ohe well.....

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
sigh
im sick of this "make your points worthwhile" bullshit,i know people who got 99.95 and are doing engineering/science courses

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I agree with Li0n, high UAI cut offs dont mean the course is better than one with a low cut off. A guy i know got 99.60 and did chemical engineering with about 82 cutoff.

kow_dude

HSC
acmilan said:
I agree with Li0n, high UAI cut offs dont mean the course is better than one with a low cut off. A guy i know got 99.60 and did chemical engineering with about 82 cutoff.
that's ridiculous... dont u think ?

Plebeian

kow_dude said:
Why? A high UAI simply means he gets to pick which course he wants before most other people. That is no reason for him to suddenly change his entire set of interests to do law or something just "because he can".

I'm doing BE (probably Mechanical) / BSc (Adv - probably Physics & Nanotech) at USyd. I have also heard that UNSW has a better reputation for some fields of engineering, but I picked Sydney because the science part of my degree is probably the more important one.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
kow_dude said:
No not really. He actually turned down a $5000 a year scholarship to do that course. Thats what he wanted to do so why change his mind and do something else just because he got a high UAI. Does the fact that chemical engineering have a lower cut off make it easier or a worse degree than ones with higher cut offs? Some subjects with high cut offs are only that way because they are so popular that only the very best students are accepted, not because they are better degrees

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the required uai is just supply and demand

its pretty safe to say engineering is one of the hardest degrees out there yet the uai's are around 80's cause no that many ppl apply to it.

i reckon like a 82.5 chemical engineering course would be a shitload harder than say a 98.5 advanced arts degree.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
and in terms of the different uni's,

if i got knocked back for med, i would do engineering at syd, i prefer the educational atmosphere there for reasons well founded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)