Your opinion on degree to transfer to (2 Viewers)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok, at the moment Im doing economic and social sciences, however I wish to transfer. This is because I want to major in Marketing and my degree already requires a major/minor duo. Furthermore, I wish to take some arts units.
Honours in marketing also sounds good.

So, I thought that B Commerce (lib studies) was a perfect degree for me. I get an extra year. Don't have to do a prescribed major. Have room for some extra units.
Can major in marketing and psychology (and it seems that employers favour the psychology aspect of your degree if you go into mktg). However my desires were brought to a stand-still as I found out that you stupidly can't major in psych in this degree.

So, i started evaluating other degrees and I am considering B Arts/Commerce. BUT it is 5 years and added with a year in honours it seems a bit excessive. I'd also have to do the commerce subject prereqs. And i'd have to also major in an extra table a unit such as philosophy (which i dont mind) but its 3 majors.

So what should i do, short of drop out of uni and smoke crack?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
if you truly dont mind a whole arts degree then i think you shoudl go for it.

the comm pre reqs are not too bad. Econ 1001 and 1002 are straightforward. Obviously, you are already wading though ECMT. Acct 1a and 1b is probably boring but even im not so adverse to the subject anymore, the more i look into it. what else? I cant speak about INFS but from hearsay, it isnt hellish (not as bad as ECMT) but it IS boring. is there another pre rq? i cant remember....CLAW right? as well, i reckon claw looks really interesting and one unit of it wont kill you...(wait, is claw even a pre req? im so clueless)

the extra yr should really only be taken into consideration if you have major plans afterward. Otherwise an extra yr is not so bad in the broader context of you life and future.

im sure the science component of the b com lib studies can be stretched to include more than the minimum 12 CP's. Is that enough to cover a psych requirement or do you REALLY want a defined major?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah168 said:
if you truly dont mind a whole arts degree then i think you shoudl go for it.

the comm pre reqs are not too bad. Econ 1001 and 1002 are straightforward. Obviously, you are already wading though ECMT. Acct 1a and 1b is probably boring but even im not so adverse to the subject anymore, the more i look into it. what else? I cant speak about INFS but from hearsay, it isnt hellish (not as bad as ECMT) but it IS boring. is there another pre rq? i cant remember....CLAW right? as well, i reckon claw looks really interesting and one unit of it wont kill you...(wait, is claw even a pre req? im so clueless)

the extra yr should really only be taken into consideration if you have major plans afterward. Otherwise an extra yr is not so bad in the broader context of you life and future.

im sure the science component of the b com lib studies can be stretched to include more than the minimum 12 CP's. Is that enough to cover a psych requirement or do you REALLY want a defined major?
yes id want the employer to see that i have a psych major.
i heard that econ1002 is very much maths based and difficult in that respect?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
noooooooooooo! econ 1002 is hardly maths based! its econ1001 and even then (although i admit i do whinge abot the maths component in this) now that i look at it, its really nothing. Basic algebra (equation of a line, make y the subject, find the gradient, solving basic equations, simultaneous equations) and a teeny bit of calculus (1st deriviatives, stat points and thats it really...even if you dont know any of this, someone can give you a crash course in 5 minutes flat, im serious).

The course does involve numerical concepts (more so than in macro) but its negligable in terms of difficulty. the hard part lies in meshing all the concepts together well enough to be able to tackle q's from all angles.

Edit: you can confirm this with melbournian i guess but from his mks (66 in micro and 81 in macro?), i assume macro is lots better :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahahah theres a b science and commerce. I've never heard of it before. What a bizarre combo.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, my friend is doing it. ridiculous hours. approaching 30 hours a week i think. Urgh

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah168 said:
yeah, my friend is doing it. ridiculous hours. approaching 30 hours a week i think. Urgh
i wonder if its possible to do a law unit from b com (liberal studies). I'd be very interested in criminal law.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i dont think its possible. law units are limited to...well...law students :p

CLAW is as far as you can take it, i think

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hmmm well theres always postgrad law.
i'm so confused as to what i want to do with my life right now. When uni started i thought i had it all figured out.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hahaha believe me, im feeling the same way. No time to dwell on it though. Must pass finals first!

Generator

HSC
N/A
If you think that you could deal with 12 credit points of regular first year maths and you really want to major in psychology, then you should consider the Science/Commerce programme. Despite what many seem to think, Science does not have to involve heavy physics and chemistry if you play your cards right.

Just another option that you should look into, I think.

kow_dude

HSC
Sarah168 said:
OMG.... ! i was about to do commerce/science. I'm currently enrolled under engineering/commerce, and transfering to just commerce next semester. Three years of uni is enough..

margaret_gn

HSC
BScience/Commerce doesn't take up to 30 hours per week, i only spend 23 hours at uni weekly, and next semester it'll only be 22 :) depends on your combination of subjects.

Mine:
ACCT1001 3hrs per week
MATH1901 3hrs
MATH1902 3hrs
CHEM1101 7hrs
PHYS1901 7hrs

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Generator said:
If you think that you could deal with 12 credit points of regular first year maths and you really want to major in psychology, then you should consider the Science/Commerce programme. Despite what many seem to think, Science does not have to involve heavy physics and chemistry if you play your cards right.

Just another option that you should look into, I think.
i didnt do any maths in yr 11/12 so no :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
haha my friend did 3u in the HSC and is reasonably good at maths...she is struggling with the weekly math quizzes in the 1st yr maths units...ick

Sarah

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
i didnt do any maths in yr 11/12 so no :p
Depends on what maths it is.

I go to UNSW but here's my input. if you really want to major in psych, i'd recommend commerce/science. If the science component requires that you do a unit in maths, consider doing stats as your maths unit. It will help you with the stats you do in psych as stats for second yr psych involves z scores, t tests, hypothesis testing, chi square (stuff ur probably doing in ecmt).

If you're really concerned about the math requirements for the Commerce/Science degree there's always bridging courses you can do if you really want to brush up on yr 11/12 stuff.

On a side note, i stopped doing Science after yr 10 and i'm majoring in psych. The assumed knowledge at my uni was 2 units of science (senior science and earth & environmental excluded). I'm doing alright so far.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah said:
Depends on what maths it is.

I go to UNSW but here's my input. if you really want to major in psych, i'd recommend commerce/science. If the science component requires that you do a unit in maths, consider doing stats as your maths unit. It will help you with the stats you do in psych as stats for second yr psych involves z scores, t tests, hypothesis testing, chi square (stuff ur probably doing in ecmt).

If you're really concerned about the math requirements for the Commerce/Science degree there's always bridging courses you can do if you really want to brush up on yr 11/12 stuff.

On a side note, i stopped doing Science after yr 10 and i'm majoring in psych. The assumed knowledge at my uni was 2 units of science (senior science and earth & environmental excluded). I'm doing alright so far.
i wouldn't be able to stand doing an exuberant amount of credit points in the science faculty. It won't be just psych, itd be other subjects which I really do not care for. I guess a psych major is out of the question :(

Sarah

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
i wouldn't be able to stand doing an exuberant amount of credit points in the science faculty. It won't be just psych, itd be other subjects which I really do not care for. I guess a psych major is out of the question :(

hey don't dismiss it altogether without investigating it.

You'd be surprised at what is considered a science.

If you're not into the hard sciences and don't mind social science/humanities subjects, check whether philosophy, history and philosophy of science or human geography are also classified as sciences (at unsw they are, not sure about usyd). If they are, you can make up science units from those subjects.

That's what i did when i was doing a combined science degree. Sciences like phsysics, chem, anatomy didn't appeal to me so i did human geography to make up units.

Point being is that you should investigate what subjects fall under the Science faculty

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah said:
hey don't dismiss it altogether without investigating it.

You'd be surprised at what is considered a science.

If you're not into the hard sciences and don't mind social science/humanities subjects, check whether philosophy, history and philosophy of science or human geography are also classified as sciences (at unsw they are, not sure about usyd). If they are, you can make up science units from those subjects.

That's what i did when i was doing a combined science degree. Sciences like phsysics, chem, anatomy didn't appeal to me so i did human geography to make up units.

Point being is that you should investigate what subjects fall under the Science faculty
history of science and geography fall into the sciences faculty. I am not interested enough in them though. Also i'd have to do the commerce prereq's which I would only do if i absolutelly have to - i really don't enjoy anything to do with numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)