Your schools anti-truanting measures ? (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I left SSC Leichhardt because it sucked there.
They have rather interesting methods to encourage attendance

SMS -

If you are not marked on the roll during roll call and you do not attend school by Period 2 (almost 10am), a text message will be sent to your parents.
No mobile ? They ring your home phone number.

Just hope that your non-english speaking grandparents answer :)

Fences-

Tall fences around the less populated areas of the school, if you want to leave school grounds there is a very good chance you will be seen.

You school's anti-truancy measures please ...

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
i dont think anyone at my school is stupid enough to just walk out of school half way through the day. i think the teachers trust us that noone would do it just because theyre bored of school and want to go home, thats what sick bay is for.

as for taking days off...well theyre not too strict, normally a note from home the day after (this can sometimes slowly be forgotten about depending on your homeroom teacher) and a medical certificate if its for an important school event. before the trials nearly the whole year skipped the athletics carnival and the year coordinator didnt mind too much, it was a pointless, overcast day consisting of about a total of 20 minutes of physical activity over 6 hours.

HSC
Whats wrong with taking off in the middle of the day?

Say it's recess, and you have no more lessons...AT ALL, why waste time at school, rather then study ext maths at home?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
My school had barbed wire fences all around and someone wandering around the local shopping centre looking for truants. But the students were and still are extremely skilled and don't get caught much. I only got caught once out of probably a hundred or so truancies.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
If you are absent from school and not there by second session they will text or ring your parents/caregivers. Other then that we are allowed to live as long as we ‘swipe out’ when we have free sessions at the end of the day and if asked show the receipt to a teacher who is usually patrolling the front of the school each recess and lunchtime. The school now has high security fences with only the main gates staying open after school starts, also some teacher\security will be down at the local shopping center to attach truants.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
hmm...

my school doesnt exactly have the highest standards but the idea of just walking of school just never seems to occur to anyone

*shrugs

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My school allowed year 12 students to leave the school grounds during free periods/lunch/recess etc. So if you tried to leave at anytime, nobody cared. (With the size of the campus, i doubt they could effectively stop anybody from leaving regardless)

They also did not really concern themselves with a days absence in isolation. (At least in my experience they didnt) They would only really look for and act on regular patterns in non-attendence, and absence of more than a few days in a row.

This is of course only referring to Year 12. Much closer scrutiny was applied in dealing with the younger students.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Exphate said:
Confusing school with a prison?
Not at all. It backed onto a moderately sized area of bush, and lots of bad people with motorbkes and such hung around in there. Not that the barbed wire fence was too difficult to climb or anything.

And if you've been to a prison you'll notice they tend to have razor wire.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Bahaha we have a pole (I think kid admin can vouch for this) as our fence...
in some parts its broken and intruders are a common occurance...
truanting isn't so much of an issue, it's just that people wander off in free periods to maccas across the road, or perhaps even in their cars to places to smoke etc.

weird.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
we have broken fences, lack of fence, factories on one side, houses on the other and a retirement village out the back :/

when your absent and dont hand in an explanation note thingy, they then distribute these red intimidating letters that you need to get signed and brought back..... (i love those things, they splash a bit of colour to my folder... ) lol

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
meh, we have no strong security measures - the gates are always open. If you're away or even late you have to bring in a note, or soon enough you'll will have to stay back on a friday, to explain why. But our year-coordinator is always lenient to students, as long as they do all their work lolz.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
luscious-llama said:
Bahaha we have a pole (I think kid admin can vouch for this) as our fence...
I can indeed vouch for that, a very low security concerned school indeed. What fences you do have wouldn't stop anyone thats if you can find the fence, because it looks more like a garden barrier.

crimsonking

HSC
My school has ploarizing views on truanting.

• We got that texting thing going on
  • Notes are needed as are medical certificates for major events
Now to some cases where truanting occurred:
  • about 9 year 12 students (myself included) where caught at the shops by the principal (I think he was driving home, but he said that students were causing trouble at the shops and one of the owners called the school). All that happened was that he took our names down and said we would be suspended if it occurred again and he threatened the people who are on Centrelink benefits that he will cancel their payments (we had a Centrelink bloke come in at the start of the year and he outlined the conditions of receiving Centrelink funding)
  • A few people were walking out the top gate, our crazy mofo principal drove his car across the top oval at about 80k's and stopped them from leaving school....SLIGHTLY dramatic in my opinion
  • Principal stands out the front before school to ensure that people don't hand around the front and give the school a 'bad name'
  • With cars now my friends and I go down to a gazebo and have a smoke, yesterday between my Legal and PE exam (how ironic, smoking while studying for PE) the bouncer (we smoke behind an RSL club) said that we had to move because we are on private property. After we said that we were only studying, he let us stay. I got doubts though, I have a feeling that in the future that he or another bouncer will call the school and down comes the principal

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
Yeah my school does the sms thing. It's kind of stupid though, because they just handed out forms one day and told us to get them filled in. I can't see why anyone wold have handed it back, seeings as it said exactly what it was for on the note. Some people handed it in with their own mobile number on the form, so if they are wagging they get an sms telling them :) It's pretty funny though, 'cause my dad sometimes gets messages when a couple of random people I've never heard of are wagging.

The only other thing is the deputy checking junior's leave passes before they get on the station bus before sport.

There used to be a fence that had barbed wire on the top, not sure if it's still there. But I think that is something the neighbour put up themselves to stop people getting into their backyard. Though I could never understand why anyone would ever jump that fence as no ever notices people just walking out the front gate. And now that people are driving Maccas runs are a common occurance.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
crimsonking said:
My school has ploarizing views on truanting.

• We got that texting thing going on
  • Notes are needed as are medical certificates for major events
Now to some cases where truanting occurred:
  • about 9 year 12 students (myself included) where caught at the shops by the principal (I think he was driving home, but he said that students were causing trouble at the shops and one of the owners called the school). All that happened was that he took our names down and said we would be suspended if it occurred again and he threatened the people who are on Centrelink benefits that he will cancel their payments (we had a Centrelink bloke come in at the start of the year and he outlined the conditions of receiving Centrelink funding)
  • A few people were walking out the top gate, our crazy mofo principal drove his car across the top oval at about 80k's and stopped them from leaving school....SLIGHTLY dramatic in my opinion
  • Principal stands out the front before school to ensure that people don't hand around the front and give the school a 'bad name'
  • With cars now my friends and I go down to a gazebo and have a smoke, yesterday between my Legal and PE exam (how ironic, smoking while studying for PE) the bouncer (we smoke behind an RSL club) said that we had to move because we are on private property. After we said that we were only studying, he let us stay. I got doubts though, I have a feeling that in the future that he or another bouncer will call the school and down comes the principal
They can cancel Centrelink payments ? Ouch ...
How do you get Centrelink payments ?

Apparently, the SMS system is most popular at schools within proximity of the city

crimsonking

HSC
They can cancel Centrelink payments ? Ouch ...
How do you get Centrelink payments ?
You can get Centrelink payments if your parents get under a certain amount of income or if you are Aboriginal. If you're in year 12, it's probably too late to get funding.

What the principal said in regards to cancelling is that if you get Centrelink funding you are expected to be at school for those designated hours, if you are not, you are breaching your conditions of the Centrelink contract and they can cancel your payments and you may have to pay a fine on top of it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
haha our school is v. strict on truants if they catch them...but it is so easy to just walk out of the school. the entrance is at the top of the hill, and once you've walked up it past a certain point nobody can see you, unless you happen to wag when cross country training is on in which case hundreds of yr 8s will be running across the gateway and you can just slip by unnoticed anyhow. if they took away the trees along the edge of the top oval it would be harder to walk out...but they never will, kekeke... and once you're out, you're out, especially if you're in year 12 coz heaps of us are allowed to leave early anyway, so they use that excuse. you won't get far on foot though, if you're going to wag and go do something fun you'd need a car or catch the lunchtime bus...unless hanging at bilo is your idea of a good time coz thats about as far as you would probably get.
and we have no SMS thingy...if you fail to turn up they just assume you are away and if u dont return a note they hound you...but no truancy charge. the only place they really get narky is when you come to school but dont go to class...ppl who do that are stupid though, because you swipe in and your attendance goes on the machine so they know you are there, so if you dont go to class its pretty damn obvious what you are doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)