• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

z-scores (1 Viewer)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
it goes by the formula

z score = (score - mean) divided by the standard deviation. So if you're asked this question:

Question:"Mina received the mark 75 in her english exam. In the class the mean was 62 and the standard deviation was 8. Find her z score and what this means."

Answer:

z = (75 - 62) / 8
= 1.625
:. z = 1.6 (1 dp)

This means that Mina's score is 1.6 standard deviations above the mean.

It's basically quite a good topic if u just follow the formula. They can also GIVE u the z-score and ask u to find the Standard Deviation, so all u do is work back from the formula.

Hope that helps. :)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Without Wings said:
the formula for z scores is on the formula sheet too
Gotta love those formula sheets...

except they don't give you the formula for area of a trapezium...

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
No - you are meant to know the circumference of a circle formula. Bit annoying that they don't give it you. Same with the area of a trapezium. Be prepared to get a question based on that. The formula is not given on the sheet. :(

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I've completed heaps of past papers, and majority of the time there has been a question making u use the Trap. Formula, so yes make sure you know it :)

I use to have big problems trying to remember formulas (even thru junior years), but I'm good at it now and I put it down to practice. Keep doing heaps of questions which require you to use formulas. Try to use a formula without checking it up. If you forget it, find it out then write it out a few times and see if you remember it the next day. Don't just wake up and say, "ok what's the formula for a circle?". Open your text book and find a question which involves the formula - it'll help you learn them better :)

it works, i promise!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
the 'z-score' is basically how many standard deviations from a mean a particular statistic is

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
grk_styl said:
yes, so if u got a z-score of -2 that would mean that you're 2 standard deviations below the mean, ie. NOT a good mark.
Yeap, it took me a while to understand that and wondered why it didn't go below -3 or above 3!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Happeninchick said:
No - you are meant to know the circumference of a circle formula. Bit annoying that they don't give it you. Same with the area of a trapezium. Be prepared to get a question based on that. The formula is not given on the sheet. :(
True, especially when finding out the area of a field based on surveyors numbers. They mostly slip a trapezium in there. You could work it out by making it into a square/rectangle with two triangles but that would take too long.

Tha formula isn't that hard anyways

h/2 (a + b) where a and b are the two parralell sides and h is the height.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know their z-score for their trial mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)