Michael Jordan (1 Viewer)

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
I just bullshitted mostly, saying that sports people can use physics to perform better. But you were also meant to calculate that he would have to jump 12 metres or something te stay in the air for 2.5 seconds, which is impossible

Worst. Question. Ever.

kris12345

yeah if u worked it out 2.5 secs was like 7.53 metres in the air which is basically impossible to jump if u r human, so i said whilst u need to know about the laws of physics he probably just made the 2.5 seconds bit up

Charon.

HSC
N/A
that question was soo pointless. I reckon one of the examiners saw the article and was so outraged by it that they thought they had to put it in the hsc.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
kris12345 said:
yeah if u worked it out 2.5 secs was like 7.53 metres in the air which is basically impossible to jump if u r human, so i said whilst u need to know about the laws of physics he probably just made the 2.5 seconds bit up
yeah 1.25 sec each way
but i got part of the quest only

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
It is their way of getting back at the people who are good at sports

And how stupid was it, that the question was worth 6, and so was the following question - and we had less that half the amount of writing space! What the hell?!
And then for a later 4 mark question we are given a whole page!

Jezzabelle

The Bograt said:
It is their way of getting back at the people who are good at sports

And how stupid was it, that the question was worth 6, and so was the following question - and we had less that half the amount of writing space! What the hell?!
And then for a later 4 mark question we are given a whole page!
yep. that line space thing buggered me too

stoydgen

Shiftius Curry
HSC
I ahted the question lol, but i bullshitted my way through it.

Good thing im a fan of jordan :p

kris12345

yeah totoal equals 2.5 seconds and time to max height equals 1.25 seconds cause its the same time to go up as it is to come back

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I disagree I think it was a good question, because it is forcing students to apply knowledge to a new situation. Also I have seen lots of people putting strange responses up here, in terms of their value for the max height reached, so it shows that lots of people were unable to apply the formula from the furmulae sheet correctly. Good question to sort out the band 5/6 ppl from the rest

kris12345

it was definately a different question i didnt find it too bad but i think a lot of people would have got lost in the question and what it asked, i play basketball so that kinda helped me decide to work it out as if it were a standing jump shot so that u=0 and stuff but u cant really complain about it was based on formulas from the syllabus

gerardk

would i be right if my answer was summin like this:
said that the laws of physics was referrin to the eqns of motion v=u + at etc...then i said with the x = ut ..x/u=2.5 so that means the minimum range that MJ would be 5m and the u would be 2m/s...this is possible as long jumpers can jump around 7m. then i talked about v-u=9.8*2.5 =24.5 so therefore v-u=24.5 so v would have to be greater that 24.5m/s which is very unlikely.. whaddya think? stupid or will it pass???

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I'm sure they will be accepting a broad range of answers. I used v = u + at, to show that his maximum height will be 24.5 m, because at the maximim height v = 0, and knowing that a = -9.8 and t = 2.5, we get the 24.5 m answer. This is obviously way higher than a person can jump, so I said that the magazine was obviously exadurating. That should be all you had to say for full marks

Kelvy

HSC
Cactus,

When u use v=u + at, t is not 2.5 for max height, t is 1.25 s :) cos t = 2.5 is the time of flight i.e. going up AND down.

Yes, i said the magazine is exaggerating

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
yeah u got me, sorry i forgot that. Thats what I did for my solution in the paper but obviously I dont have that here with me. So t=1.25 and the max height is 12.25

Kelvy

HSC
Blame the stupid BOS definitions!!!!!!1 Stupid "ASSESS" LOl! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ahvan

the first reaction upon the question:
"WTF!!!???" screams the mind.
and then it was bullshit.

and yep. the line space thing also really bugged me.......

nit

HSC
Yeh, I did the height thing, as well as looking at it in terms of acceleration and g-forces using an estimated 1 second for the velocity to change, and comparing that to the forces on the occupants of rockets...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)