Michael Jordan (1 Viewer)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
linnyss said:
its was gay wat are they tring to test to see how we can bs our way for 4 marks.!!!!!!!!! IT was the most non physic quest the answer could have been anything
I said it before and I will say it again. This was testing the candidates abilitly to apply their knowledge to a real world situation. I have seen so many wrong answers on here, or people saying 'the hang-time includes the time he is hanging onto the hoop when he dunks the ball', or 'i talked about projectile motion'. The point is, the Band 5/6 students are the ones who realised that this was asking you to apply the v = u + at formula, and explain why the results are unrealistic.

sub

well then if that's the case, cactus, then i got the marks...thank you :)

linnyss

Cactus said:
I said it before and I will say it again. This was testing the candidates abilitly to apply their knowledge to a real world situation. I have seen so many wrong answers on here, or people saying 'the hang-time includes the time he is hanging onto the hoop when he dunks the ball', or 'i talked about projectile motion'. The point is, the Band 5/6 students are the ones who realised that this was asking you to apply the v = u + at formula, and explain why the results are unrealistic.
yeah why don't they make the question clear, rather then just tell me how in sport u need physics and all that crap that u need to have the brains to play sport just confused half the state.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
1 more point; another reason it's a good question is because it rewards students who actually know what they are doing, rather than just rote learning formula and definitions. I think that is more valuable than just being able to apply a formula

superbird

HSC
i talked about conservation of momentum aswell as projectile motion. am i somewhat correct?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
linnyss said:
yeah why don't they make the question clear, rather then just tell me how in sport u need physics and all that crap that u need to have the brains to play sport just confused half the state.
That was empahsising the point that the article was incorrect.....his brains arent allowing him to jump 12.25m in the air. And again, that is sort of extraneous information which is designed to put off the less capable students. I mean, the whole point of the HSC exams is to sort out which students are better than others. There are some questions that everyone can do, and others that only Band 6 people are able to do.

linnyss

Cactus said:
1 more point; another reason it's a good question is because it rewards students who actually know what they are doing, rather than just rote learning formula and definitions. I think that is more valuable than just being able to apply a formula
yeah reward student that knows english and know wat the hell they were asking
i am telling ya even though it does test 5/6 students but the way they ask that question is unfair

Last edited:

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
superbird said:
i talked about conservation of momentum aswell as projectile motion. am i somewhat correct?
I guess it depends what you said exactly. I think that the markers will be accepting a broad range of answers for this because the questions was very broad. I think as long as you somehow used some calculations to back up what you said you shouls get the marks

Adam B

HSC
Hey did anyone comment about the forces involved in making his flight?

wouldn't he have to jump at 24.5m/s to stay in the air for 2.5 seconds ad g=9.8m/s/s.
his jump may be done in 0.2 sec so the impulse =ft (f=ma)
impulse = m (24.5/0.2)0.2
impulse =24.5m
means he has to supply 24.5 time his own bodywieght to do this?

i dunno thats what i got, does it make sense?

Rabz_17

IMO, it was the most pointless, screwed up question in the whole test. I mean wat the hell does it have to do with the section it was in, let alone any section(maybe slightly space).

Every single person in my exam, the first thing they said when we got out of the exam was "What the f@%K was with that michael jordan question"

Anyway, i think i bullshitted alright.

In relation to wat Cactus said in his post at top of this page, i'm pretty sure i did that, but didn't talk bout how unrealistic it was cos they said he did it. But meh, sports peeps aren't smart enuff to be thinkin if i jump this hard i will be able to be in the air for x amount of time whilst they're playing.

Last edited:

Gomer

HSC
I left this question to last, as i knew i would have major troubles with it. I had around 30 seconds left in the exam, so i wrote at the bottom of the page "I am a fish" and put a line through it.

Seriously.

Well, it seemed like a projectile question to me, but it was rather retarded if you ask me.

-- Gomer

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Adam B said:
Hey did anyone comment about the forces involved in making his flight?

wouldn't he have to jump at 24.5m/s to stay in the air for 2.5 seconds ad g=9.8m/s/s.
his jump may be done in 0.2 sec so the impulse =ft (f=ma)
impulse = m (24.5/0.2)0.2
impulse =24.5m
means he has to supply 24.5 time his own bodywieght to do this?

i dunno thats what i got, does it make sense?
Sounds logical to me, so long as your calculations were all correct. Basically its all the same argument, that a hang-time of 2.5 s is humanly impossible. As long as you said that and backed it up.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Gomer said:
I left this question to last, as i knew i would have major troubles with it. I had around 30 seconds left in the exam, so i wrote at the bottom of the page "I am a fish" and put a line through it.

Seriously.

Well, it seemed like a projectile question to me, but it was rather retarded if you ask me.

-- Gomer

One of my teachers is an HSC marker, he says that whenever they see a strange or humourous response, they photocopy it and give it to a particular marker who has cartooning ability. He makes up some funny cartoon strip and all the markers have a good chuckle......good thing the exams are anonymous

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i think the point of the question was to show that their punch line that brains is more important than brawn is ironic, b/c the guy with the huge legs is gonna jump higher and faster than the dweeb with the calculator and notebook working out hte optimum angle of projection above the horizontal etc

:)

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I nailed this one.

2.5 seconds airbourne --> aerodynamic knowledge. When jumping up, exercise aerodynamics, on descent, create drag to slow descent, and you can get that wonderful 2.5 seconds airbourne.

Jumping high is "bawn". Aerodynamic knowledge is "brains".
Basketball trajectory is "brains".
Bouncing a basketball needs knowledge on conservation of momentum, impulse. Landing as well. Bouncing basketball also dependent on angle of incidence and reflection (bounce), rotational velocity of the basketball and its effect due to contact and friction with the court.

I went off topic but covered most stuff. I think I went further than most candidates.. hehe.

rumour

HSC
I got 2.47 seconds when I worked it out, but I used the quadratic formula to do it, cause it would not factorise, are we allowed to use that formula or will I get marked down for using it?

EDIT:

The 2.5 seconds part was the only info that I talked about

F_W01

It was a really irrational question. Besides, to stay in the air for 2.5 seconds, you would probably have to jump to a height high jumpers would be proud of (I calculated it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)