Michael Jordan (1 Viewer)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Projectile motion:
Of player, time in the air (2.5s) found by deltay=ut +.5at^2-->vertical motion
Of ball, range from player's hand to hoop found by R=ut--horizontal motion

The force the player would have to put on the ball to accelerate it (so other players wouldn't be able tointercept haha) using Newton's 2nd Law of motion F=ma

Also the projectilemotion in other sports eg long jump

However, I may have written Michael Jackson instead of Michael Jordan for some reason I am not aware of...hmm hopefully not though.

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
It was the worst question. They didnt ask enough of you for how ever many marks it was
Sppoke to my teacher afterwards and he thought is was stupid.

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
The way I figured it. If a basketball player can give 110% out of 100%, then WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOIN' WITH PHYSICS...??

sorry, got a bit excited....Anyways, he only stayed in the air for 2.5 seconds because he was holding on to the hoop.

-phizz

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
i found it stupid because i had no idea what it was asking for, and had no clue as to which topic it was referring to.

So I was dumb and wrote some nonsense about time dilation, yeah because all basketball players can jump at relativistic speeds.... boo....

So -4 for that question.

S

Shuter

shazzam said:
However, I may have written Michael Jackson instead of Michael Jordan for some reason I am not aware of...hmm hopefully not though.
Haha, but he also defys the laws of physics with his moonwalk.

S

Shuter

Cactus said:
I'm sure they will be accepting a broad range of answers. I used v = u + at, to show that his maximum height will be 24.5 m, because at the maximim height v = 0, and knowing that a = -9.8 and t = 2.5, we get the 24.5 m answer. This is obviously way higher than a person can jump, so I said that the magazine was obviously exadurating. That should be all you had to say for full marks
I correctly halved it but I still got a ehight of like 24.5m?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
brains over brawn was ironic, since u will be better off having really strong legs than getting out your note pad and wokring out the optimum angle to jump :D

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Hehe this question was absolutely bamboozling.
Whilst going through my HSC physics paper, i didnt expect to see this???

I got it wrong for sure... i hardly studied and crammed Astro in an hour this morning.. who cares. im finished the HSC - :D

I doubt Jordan would know much about physics anyway... i want him to tell me about projectile motion...

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
i went on about projectile motion, drew a little diagram, explained it but didnt figure out how to get any anser - i did work out initial velocity and shit but, and then i said something, filled the page so i should only lose a couple of marks for not gettin answer

Nightcrawler

i assumed that he jumped vertically and after doing my calculations, i found that MJ jumped 7.3 meters

sub

hahah, wat a retarded question...i didnt work out the height he went to, cos i forgot, but he had to jump at about 12.25m/s...which is where i sed shit about the "training"...then i sed how shit the magazine was...unreliable source to fill the page. what sort of idiot makes a test with half a page for a 6marker followed by a whole page for a retarded 4 marker...

well atleast my hsc is done :)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
The point is, that if you're good at physics and maths it means that you can play better than someone with equally good skills as you.

Eg. you should not play pool against someone who is very good at maths unless you are very good yourself. Automatic disadvantage when they can calculate optimum angles in fractions of a second...

But yes, Michael Jordan probably just made that statement because he wanted a sports scholarship and thus wanted to demonstrate that he is smart. Though you could have said something about that since it was an assess q.

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Cactus said:
I'm sure they will be accepting a broad range of answers. I used v = u + at, to show that his maximum height will be 24.5 m, because at the maximim height v = 0, and knowing that a = -9.8 and t = 2.5, we get the 24.5 m answer. This is obviously way higher than a person can jump, so I said that the magazine was obviously exadurating. That should be all you had to say for full marks
You can't use that equation for max height.

sub

cactus got it rong anyway, even if he meant speed, cos time is 1.25, cos its gotta incluse going UP and DOWN...

bubble_tea

I just talked about how he has to be atheletic and have the ability to run at a certain velocity in order to attain that period of flight.. or some bs like that.

grimreaper

HSC
you dont assume t = 1.25 to find max height. You assume v=0 instead. This gives the result that the max height is 7.3m (or at least it did for me)

Last edited:

sgt

phizz said:
The way I figured it. If a basketball player can give 110% out of 100%, then WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOIN' WITH PHYSICS...??

sorry, got a bit excited....Anyways, he only stayed in the air for 2.5 seconds because he was holding on to the hoop.

-phizz

haha lol its possible....(the hooP)

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
at max height t = half of total t cuz its halfway, u know. Thats why normally when u have to find t u double it.

lucyinthehole

i mdae no sense... oh well, markers should have fun marking. so many desperate HSC students. i'm sure some people were extremely creative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)