Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (1 Viewer)

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
I never learnt the lead acid cell? Only dry cell. Am i meant to know both? FML GG HSC
nope you only are required to know one.
but some questions are better focused with one or the other.
I learnt both because I'm a nerd like that.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Explain how microscopic membrane filters purify contaminated waters, in terms of their design and competition. (4 marks)

QZP

HSC
Yes but you said one benefit, and I didn't feel like talking about environmental benefit so i decided to go with social impacts...
Its not wrong :C but that's because im lazy and its a 2 marker. If it was a 3-4 or more marker, then yeah no shit talk about the lead and the acid. I don't think 2 marks calls for that though :(

A
you know... I always wondered why it isn't
3-hydroxypentane-1,3,5-tricarboxylic acid...
It's a rule in naming molecules to have the least possible sum of numbers

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yes but you said one benefit, and I didn't feel like talking about environmental benefit so i decided to go with social impacts...
Its not wrong :C but that's because im lazy and its a 2 marker. If it was a 3-4 or more marker, then yeah no shit talk about the lead and the acid. I don't think 2 marks calls for that though :(
Better responses clearly linked the benefit to a property of lead or sulfuric acid. Weaker responses did not give a specific benefit, but rather general statements that could have many meanings, such as ‘convenient and reliable’. (notes from the marking centre). I don't think your answer would have got 2 based off of that.

QZP

HSC
Honestly, should I learn lead acid cell right now? Where did you get that Q SSH

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I never learnt the lead acid cell? Only dry cell. Am i meant to know both? FML GG HSC
They target lead acid a fair bit, like that environmental impact of a named electrochemical cell would have been a lot easier for lead-acid as well. It's not really fair when the syllabus specifies we only need to know one. My teacher told us we should know a bit on both, and one in depth.

timeflies

HSC
I don't think you would need to, I did the dry cell as well but did fine in this question when I saw it before because they give a labelled diagram of the cell with Lead and Sulfuric Acid shown so you can infer it.

Edit: The dotpoint only requires you to know one and it'd be really harsh for them to ask a question like this without providing information about the cell so I don't think they'd do it.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Explain how microscopic membrane filters purify contaminated waters, in terms of their design and competition. (4 marks)
question was one a few pages back. I answered it :L

It's a rule in naming molecules to have the least possible sum of numbers
Yes but, you start on the carbon that is attached to the carboxylic acid as carbon 1. not the next carbon... it's weird.
I've asked a few people and they always just said "oh its a convention"

Better responses clearly linked the benefit to a property of lead or sulfuric acid. Weaker responses did not give a specific benefit, but rather general statements that could have many meanings, such as ‘convenient and reliable’. (notes from the marking centre). I don't think your answer would have got 2 based off of that.
Hmm... I did mention replacing (or lack of). But cheers, thank you, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Yeah after having learnt both, the lead-acid cell is the better one to be quite honest.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yes but, you start on the carbon that is attached to the carboxylic acid as carbon 1. not the next carbon... it's weird.
I've asked a few people and they always just said "oh its a convention"
It's weird because the c is part of the functional group, making it part of the main chain would make the name of the compound weird. I can't believe this hasn't occurred to me before.

Edit: the alternate name you provided would also be wrong pheelx

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
It's weird because the c is part of the functional group, making it part of the main chain would make the name of the compound weird. I can't believe this hasn't occurred to me before.
hahaha, yeah I was like dafaq when I learnt it because i was like nigga that carbon backbone has 5 carbons, not 3...
:(

nah just rote learn it. You'll never be asked to justify this
Yeah but still it's just interesting to note that. Lol.
The justification is that it's a convention, apparently
IUPAC just so happened to name it that.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC

Edit: the alternate name you provided would also be wrong pheelx
Hmmm...

3-carboxy-3-hydroxypentanedioic acid?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Hmmm...

3-carboxy-3-hydroxypentanedioic acid?
It would be something weird, you wouldn't be able to say that there are three carboxylic acid functional groups attached though, because the carbon is part of the main chain now.

zhertec

HSC
I hear seventhroot is pretty hot, but you might have to ask Adrita for permission first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)