Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
I did it the titration method with no rounding at all

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Um, I can't remember what I did, I remember it was weird af. Give me one sec I'll do it again...

SuchSmallHands

HSC
No seriously it was all the lazy rounding, if I'd done this without the laziness my answer would have been 95.195%, despite my different method. I don't know what's going on with the question, unless the person who wrote the answers was a similarly lazy rounder.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
When I should have put 0.2708305086/0.2845 I just put 0.2708/0.2845, so I got 95.18453427% when I otherwise would have got 95.19525786%

QZP

HSC
I did it the titration method with no rounding at all
what's the titration method? my solution is practically 1 liner (24.65/20.06 x 0.2204) /0.2845 #elegance

HSC
Okay move one, some one rounded, everyone is correct -.-

New question : Why are indicators used? 3 marks.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
"Despite the rapid industrialisation that is paralleled with scientific advancements, collaboration between scientists will always be required in furthering our understanding of chemistry."
Discuss this statement in relation to a scientist which you have studied, making explicit references to where/when s/he may need to collaborate with other chemists, and the impact of their work on current day society. (7 marks)

my turn to be a cunt

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Okay move one, some one rounded, everyone is correct -.-

New question : Why are indicators used? 3 marks.
you beat me to writing a new question

Indicators are used to test chemical substances of their acidity/basicity levels. Indicators are commonly used as they are quick, disposable and reliable. They provide a range at which the indicators change colours, and further testing with other indicators or narrow range indicator yields a fairly accurate guess at the pH, and hence hydrogen ion concentration. They are commonly used where more sensitive equipment is not viable/required, e.g. home swimming pool pH test kits, acidity of soil.

Indicators, although a destructive form of testing provides a convenience that cannot be reciprocated with other means of testing for pH, as for example, indicator paper (universal paper, litmus paper) has been developed and is used ubiquitously in scientific experiments where a rough estimate of pH is required. These indicators also often act as a first guess at pH, then if required can be tested more vigorously with pH probes/meters.

zhertec

HSC
what's the titration method? my solution is practically 1 liner (24.65/20.06 x 0.2204) /0.2845 #elegance
Basically using the titration formula to find out the concentration of HCl, and since it is the same concentration in both test, I used the HCl concentration multiplied by the 1st solution's required mL of neutralisation to discover the moles of sodium carbonate required and then found the amount of sodium carbonate in grams. Although it is probably more tedious, it makes sense to me more lol

HSC
"Despite the rapid industrialisation that is paralleled with scientific advancements, collaboration between scientists will always be required in furthering our understanding of chemistry."
Discuss this statement in relation to a scientist which you have studied, making explicit references to where/when s/he may need to collaborate with other chemists, and the impact of their work on current day society. (7 marks)

my turn to be a cunt

UGLY question

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Do an easy question instead: Explain one benefit of car batteries lasting several years. (2 marks)

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Do an easy question instead: Explain one benefit of car batteries lasting several years. (2 marks)
Car batteries that last several years are highly beneficial to society and the environment. One benefit to society means that these batteries do not need changing (until their lifetime of several years is up). Usually, car battery charging is an automated process, facilitated by the alternator which recharges the battery as it is being used. The car battery is used in all other aspects of the car that require electricity, e.g. auto windows, ignition, radio, etc. Hence car batteries lasting several years are highly beneficial as they do not require the time and effort to change/replace and are used in many aspects of the car.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Car batteries that last several years are highly beneficial to society and the environment. One benefit to society means that these batteries do not need changing (until their lifetime of several years is up). Usually, car battery charging is an automated process, facilitated by the alternator which recharges the battery as it is being used. The car battery is used in all other aspects of the car that require electricity, e.g. auto windows, ignition, radio, etc. Hence car batteries lasting several years are highly beneficial as they do not require the time and effort to change/replace and are used in many aspects of the car.
Lead acid cell.

Lead.

Acid.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Lead acid cell.

Lead.

Acid.
Yes but you said one benefit, and I didn't feel like talking about environmental benefit so i decided to go with social impacts...
Its not wrong :C but that's because im lazy and its a 2 marker. If it was a 3-4 or more marker, then yeah no shit talk about the lead and the acid. I don't think 2 marks calls for that though :(

2013 chemistry HSc MC,

A
you know... I always wondered why it isn't
3-hydroxypentane-1,3,5-tricarboxylic acid...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)