2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition/Iemma or Debnam? (1 Viewer)

2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition?

• Labor

Votes: 125 46.5%
  • Coalition

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
ihavenothing said:
Everything about him stinks...he is just too caustic for that important moderate Liberal element to work and besides, Iemma has come up trumps on most of his rants about the Islamic community, so I doubt he will pick up any speed at all maybe one or two seats but the Liberal Party is definately stupid for choosing him to replace Brogden.
I wouldn't bet on that. Debnam's address in relation to practical multiculturalism resonates with many in the community. The ALP is trying as hard as it can to paint a picture of Debnam as a right wing extremist, which when one actually looks at the policies that have been announced to date, could not be further from the mark.

I've said it before an I'll say it again. It's a sad state of affairs in government when the ALP's campaign is based upon slandering the opposition leader, and conveying their 'new' direction for the state. Surely after 12 years in government, the election talk should be based upon how the ALP has improved NSW and how they intend to continue that trend? The sad reality is however, that this cannot occur due to the negligible amount of positives outcomes for NSW over the past 12 years.

People criticise the Commonwealth for failed investment, yet in NSW we have a government that has prioritised a AAA credit rating and 'spin' rather than ensuring adequate levels of investment in education, health and infrastructure in coincidence with smart, and necessary planning. If the latter had in fact been undertaken, we would not be continually slugged with exorbitant road tolls, to pay for a road system that will be unable to sustain population growth over the next 10 years. Foresight from government has all but disappeared..

Nick Minchin

HSC
N/A
The premier [Morris Iemma] declined to say if he knew who the first Prime Minister of Australia was, joking: "Are we having an examination here?"

Quizzed about his knowledge of Australian history, Mr Iemma said Sir Henry Parkes was the first NSW premier (pre-federation), when the correct answer is Stuart Donaldson.

He also did not know who the first NSW premier was post-federation – Sir John See
I guess that makes Morris Iemma a big 'tool' as well aye?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Nick Minchin said:
I guess that makes Morris Iemma a big 'tool' as well aye?
And a much bigger one than Debnam.

Iemma2lose

so says my 1000th post, and so it is written.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Musk said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/minister-sorry-for-train-shame/2007/02/02/1169919506933.html

wow at the rate their going liberials r gonna need a 10 min add to meantion the blunders in the last 10 yrs
Try catching a train like that with people who have broken the seal. For two and a half hours. I thought they were going to wet themselves. Pretty much, whenever I go up to, or come home from Sydney, the train has no toilets.

South Coast is hard hit with train problems. This is because people in Wollongong/Shellharbour/Kiama areas are all working class people. People that believe the Liberal party can't represent them. Pretty much the Labor party sees those seats (that represent the cities/municipality, the former two moreso than Kiama) as three easy victories, therefore aren't as worried with tune-ups to the area.

If voters are to punish Labor, they'll either vote independent or Greens (I think they voted Greens once before). I can't fathom unionist working class citizens voting for Liberal (why vote for a party that doesn't represent your interest/viewpoint one bit).

daichan

HSC
So who's apathetic on this one? The poll says only 5 per cent... I'm one of them but I'm just apathetic to the two major parties and I dont think there's much point in 'other' 'cause they have no power.

It wont take long for us to come together to take control of the planet.
We will have power.:wave:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Here's an interesting analysis of the poll result from mumble.com.au:

New South Wales poll - a bit iffy?

Taverner Poll in Sun-Herald says 54 to 46 in NSW. At the 2003 election it was 56 to 44.
From the primary votes, those 2pps look a little odd. Taverner has primaries of 39 to 38, a substantial change from 42.5 to 34.6 in 2003. Three and a half percent, give or take, has gone from Labor to the Coalition, and the same number, 23 percent, will vote for someone else.
If you just applied that 3.5 to the two party preferreds, you would get 52.5 to 47.5 - much more encouraging for the Coalition.
Don't know how Mr Mitchell-Taverner does his preferences, but hopefully he remembers that under optional preferential voting about half of them will probably "exhaust", including Green ones.
Makes a bit of a point. It is a fairly small sample as well..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Debnam promises to freeze transport fares
NSW Opposition Leader Peter Debnam has promised to freeze fares across the state's public transport system if he wins next month's state election.
Mr Debnam said today he would freeze all public transport fares on day one of government, continuing through his entire first term.

"We need to re-establish trust between the government and the commuters using public transport in NSW," Mr Debnam said.

"As part of re-establishing that trust, we announce that we will freeze public transport fares for that first term of parliament until we get the performance of the system back up to scratch."

The fare freeze, across all public buses, trains, ferries and CountryLink services, will come at a cost of $110 million over four years, Mr Debnam said.

"That will come out of consolidated revenue and it will be funded by the savings from the bureaucracy," he said.

Mr Debnam said there would be no fare increases in a Liberal government's second term unless improvements were made across the transport system.

Meanwhile, the Opposition will today begin handing forms to commuters asking what one thing they want changed in NSW.

"If a message comes back from the public, then I'm going to act on it," Mr Debnam said

timmyh

HSC
we will freeze public transport fares for that first term of parliament until we get the performance of the system back up to scratch."

Hmm... apparently by making transport free the system is going to magically get better

bshoc

HSC
N/A
lolhai! said:
Debnam is a fuckwit. The money to pay for the workers in the transport business is gonna come out of my fucking pocket anyways.

Way to go liberal shits.
Says the guy who said

lolhai! said:
Labor = Science/Math HECS fees being slashed in half

I know who i'm voting for...
Nice try you leftist moron.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
OHNOES! Leftist!!

I'll be voting liberal, as a traditional labor "leftist fuckbag". Why? Oh indeed, why is the question. The reason being that being in power for too long is a totally bad thing, totally. It may be naive, but I hold the belief that the Liberal party can get in, freshen things up without bullshitting their way around ala the state labor party, and then hopefully "the state of disrepair" will be somewhat better. I think it'sd equally naive to assume that just because Debnam has the common sense and intelligence comparable to that of a sedimentary rock, that he'll stuff things up. Only one way to find out I 'spose.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
OHNOES! Leftist!!

I'll be voting liberal, as a traditional labor "leftist fuckbag". Why? Oh indeed, why is the question. The reason being that being in power for too long is a totally bad thing, totally. It may be naive, but I hold the belief that the Liberal party can get in, freshen things up without bullshitting their way around ala the state labor party, and then hopefully "the state of disrepair" will be somewhat better. I think it'sd equally naive to assume that just because Debnam has the common sense and intelligence comparable to that of a sedimentary rock, that he'll stuff things up. Only one way to find out I 'spose.
Leftist who posses a sense of political responsibility can be counted more as centrists than leftist.

Power for too long isn't the exact problem, its how that power is used, unfortunately how that power is used tends to decline in efficiency and purpose the longer one specific government is in power.

timmyh

HSC
off course u dont kno that ur uneducated
Firstly... although i dont have it displayed in huge font at the bottom of my posts i do go to uni, and therefore have some degree of education. Don't be an arrogant prick.
Secondly, if u actually look at what Debnam said, i will quote it again for u...
we announce that we will freeze public transport fares for that first term of parliament until we get the performance of the system back up to scratch."
He does not mention things like the M5 and pollution issues which i agree are important. Yes, u are right, more ppl on public transport would help with these things. However, if we go on Debnam's quotes this is not about those issues. I agree they are important and need to be dealt with.

timmyh

HSC
You largely missed the point of what i was saying... i agree with all of this:
its because its pretty obvious wat the effects of having an odd few 10000 cars *assuming the model claimed by city rail stating that one full train keeps 2500 cars off the road* especially the sole purpose of the m5 tunnel is to allow people (particularly from the western suburbs) to go to the city for main purposes of work. besides your forgetting the point is that, if its free everyone is very likely to use it.
All i am saying is that if Debnam's main reason for imposing the fare freeze was the things u mentioned i would support it. However, he does not mention these points. All i can assume then is that he is not doing it for the reasons u mentioned. I am not going to get into an engineering debate with u, whats more i dont live in sydney so i have no 1st hand knowledge. All i know is that if debnam came out and made the argument u have i would support it. As far as i know (open to be proven wrong) he hasnt....
As for:
its not because of the degree its because you dont kno how infrastructure in any city works and you make such confounding claims. you sure must work for labor
Do not assume to know my political preferences. That really is an incredibly stupid statement. And what in my post was confounding?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Eh, whatever the secret, scary reasoning that Debnam has behind the fair freeze, I agree that it's a fantastic idea. I don't see why someone would not vote for him, based on their belief that he has bizarre, unknown ambitions behind the move. You could say that it's a lie. Eh, maybe. I'd much rather vote for someone who at least puts forth an initiative, rather than someone else who just sits on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)