Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
bible is a primary source

:cool:
No, theoretically God would be the primary source, Ezekial the secondary source and the bible itself would be a secondary secondary.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
No, theoretically God would be the primary source, Ezekial the secondary source and the bible itself would be a secondary secondary.
lol

philphie

Banned
HSC
because they aren't core texts in our culture. i don't have a problem with mandatory bible classes if they're given in a non-religious, critical approach as if it were an HSC English text. In fact, I think that'd be a fantastic idea. I think that's what he was try to say - I'll give him the benefit of doubt.
he never said anything about australian culture, abbott was talking about civilisation.

and we already have studies of religion for 'unbias' critical study of the bible, buyt in my experience doing tudies of religion at a catholic school it is definitely not unbias critical study

philphie

Banned
HSC
We are a Western country. You cannot deny that the most important and influential book of Western civilization has been the Holy Bible. It makes sense to have it seriously on the curriculum, if only to instill its historical significance in the development of this land and the predominant culture behind it. By all means teach it critically and without bias, but teach it none the less.
you know let's give it up from the left and make it compulsory for every child to read Catcher and the Rye!!!!!!! aHAHAHAHAHAHA

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We are also a people who insist that our children are taught from reliable materials and sadly the bible is very thin on referencing.
Lol wot. God is the primary source. Did you not gather this?

Lentern

HSC
Lol wot. God is the primary source. Did you not gather this?
Did you not notice ten minutes ago my saying that God is the primary source? God just has a certain ambiguity about him thats all.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
there are pros and cons

cons
it is shoving religion down peoples throats, which is not helpful for spreading the gospel.

pros
they would have the chance to read the bible.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
there are pros and cons

cons
it is shoving religion down peoples throats, which is not helpful for spreading the gospel.

pros
There are no advantages with forcible reading of the bible! People deserve the right to choose for themselves whether or not they'll learn a religion. For those wishing to learn about religion, scripture classes and Studies of Religion hsc course are available.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I don't think it should be forced. But to pretend there are not benifits of reading the bible is silly

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Also it will conflict with science. How would you like it if Science departments had to accept answers based on religion in Junior science classes? Just like in that Simpsons episode where all the answers were God and Lisa was getting pissed off.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Also it will conflict with science. How would you like it if Science departments had to accept answers based on religion in Junior science classes? Just like in that Simpsons episode where all the answers were God and Lisa was getting pissed off.
Lols! The answers were "the Leader!"

philphie

Banned
HSC
there are pros and cons

cons

pros
just because you're not given a chance tor ead the bible doesn't mean the choice doesn't exist

philphie

Banned
HSC
What are the benefits then? Proper ones too.

i think spirituality (not necessarily religious) has some value, depending on how you read the Bible it could inspire just a sense of self in the universe without any Christian connotations

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

And that's something we want exposed to our children? It's vile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)