Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Why should it be compulsory to learn about something that has been proven to be "heavily flawed" at the very least.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Lols! The answers were "the Leader!"
That was a different episode. There was another one were sees an exhibit at a museum about darwinism and then there was a massive outrage which lead to religion replacing science in school. Its a funny episode, should watch it. In the end Flanders cant deny the fact that Homer (and humans) obviously evolved from apes xD.

The Monkey Suit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha youre so superficial Rafy. Understanding its historical value and the way it shaped the actions of most prominent people in western civilization over the last 2000years is reason enough imo. It's unspeakably shallow to totally dismiss the text that formed the back-bone of our ancestor's faith and work that got us to where we are today. At least make an honest attempt to understand it, rather than being satisfied with something like 'LOL LEVITICUS, Christians fail:cool:'

But whatever dude. Appeal to protecting the children from a book of 'evil' and horror while campaigning for abortion, whatever dude k

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

And that's something we want exposed to our children? It's vile.
Yeah old testament is from the Torah though, so its actually Jewish not Christian.

K

khorne

If it weren't for the dark ages and the christian crusades, I'd be banging hot mars babes all day.

HSC
Uni Grad
Why do ancient history students learn about Arthur Evans?
That's just the thing, they elect to learn about it when they choose ancient. This is forcing it on every student whether they like it or not, which is wrong. It should be left to those who wish to do studies of religion, not inflicted on on everyone.

spartan31234

HSC
I wouldn't mind, even though i am atheist.

As long as the following conditions are met.

After a period of "bible studies" immediately after that you must have 2 periods of science

Bible reading cannot take more than 1 hour per week and science must be thought for at least 6 hours.

The bible reading course will have a strict syllabus so people may be only taught certain parts of it during school time.
The course has to be constructed so that what is taught in bible studies is immediately disproved in 2 hours of science.

eg a student learns about adam and eve

science: student learns the basics of evolution, and the fact that 2 people can never populate the human race as their descendent will be inbred

bible studies " the world is flat"

science " picture of the earth"

ect ect ect

until students learn never to trust anything written down, until they can cross reference it. They will learn to think critically a skill that is very important in science. They will also learn how bullshit all religions are.

Got2Kno91

HSC

After a period of "bible studies" immediately after that you must have 2 periods of science

Bible reading cannot take more than 1 hour per week and science must be thought for at least 6 hours.

The bible reading course will have a strict syllabus so people may be only taught certain parts of it during school time.
The course has to be constructed so that what is taught in bible studies is immediately disproved in 2 hours of science.

science: student learns the basics of evolution, and the fact that 2 people can never populate the human race as their descendent will be inbred

ect ect ect

until students learn never to trust anything written down, until they can cross reference it. They will learn to think critically a skill that is very important in science. They will also learn how bullshit all religions are.
It's widely accepted by most Christians now that the Bible is not to be taken literally, particularly the Old Testament. The Adam and Eve Creation story is a classic cited example of literal intepretation vs. otherwise. I'm not a Christian, btw.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It's widely accepted by most Christians now that the Bible is not to be taken literally, particularly the Old Testament. The Adam and Eve Creation story is a classic cited example of literal intepretation vs. otherwise. I'm not a Christian, btw.
I thought it was just Genesis which was not meant to be taken literally? Also i think christians only believe that because Genesis isnt even consistent itself, and says stuff which clashes with previous statements in the same chapter.

philphie

Banned
HSC

ect ect ect

LOL

how about humanist movements like agnosticism, which i am part of?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes, it would be useful for students like spartan to realise that it's not a scientific text, but a book of moral instruction for individuals. It has little if anything to do with science and does not in itself seek any confrontation with our material understanding of the universe - indeed, it actually facilitates this voyage of discovery through a shared committment to Truth.

The fact that some believe that it is in conflict with science merely speaks of the need for its critical introduction in their lives, as they are clearly not guided by or familiar with any moral formula other than their own self-interest.
then society destroys itself

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
That's just the thing, they elect to learn about it when they choose ancient. This is forcing it on every student whether they like it or not, which is wrong. It should be left to those who wish to do studies of religion, not inflicted on on everyone.
We chose to learn about ancient societies, why are we then forced to learn about lies told about ancient societies? We never consented to that we wanted to know more about what did happen.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes, it would be useful for students like spartan to realise that it's not a scientific text, but a book of moral instruction for individuals. It has little if anything to do with science and does not in itself seek any confrontation with our material understanding of the universe - indeed, it actually facilitates this voyage of discovery through a shared committment to Truth.

The fact that some believe that it is in conflict with science merely speaks of the need for its critical introduction in their lives, as they are clearly not guided by or familiar with any moral formula other than their own self-interest.
then society destroys itself
Religion may not be in direct conflict with science, yet it sure seems like a lot of its devotees are.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Then either they or you are misguided?

HSC
Uni Grad
We chose to learn about ancient societies, why are we then forced to learn about lies told about ancient societies? We never consented to that we wanted to know more about what did happen.
It doesn't take away from the fact you still chose it, you had the option of looking at the course / syllabus to find out what it was composed of and made the decision to do the subject, where as this is forced, no option to say "I don't wanna".

HSC
N/A
Bible? the new testiment is hogwash. A door knocker came around with a copy of the new testiment and I just flushed it down the toilet. Once I realized its not going down I shat in the toilet and then flushed

0bs3n3

HSC
Don't understand why everyone turns militant as soon as the Bible is mentioned...

If I recall correctly, he said the aim is to not convert. In that case I wouldn't mind if kids had a little more understanding of what the Bible actually says. At least then debating with cocksure 16 year olds would be a bit more fulfilling instead of facepalming every twelve and a half seconds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)