ACST101 and STAT170 not advisable together? (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
That timetable was pretty good because for me ACST101 required a lot of time to study (i did more study for acst than my other units - MKTG101, BUSL100 and BBA102 in that semester). Those other units weren't too difficult so they didn't require as much study as ACST (imo). As I struggled with that unit at the beginning those extra hours really helped me and I was able to pass. Having ECON111, ACCG106 and STAT170 in Sem 2 wasn't too bad imo they didn't require as much study time than ACST individually so I was able to split time between them quite evenly, so going into the final exams in Sem 2 I went in with a D average for ACCG, D average for STAT and P average for ECON (I found this one to be the hardest of all imo). So yes i think it did reflect my grades, because if I had ECON and ACST together... I don't even want to think what my grades would be like :p
Hey thanks for your input!

Yeah I most likely would have not coped with all those subjects in one semester. But out of curiousity why was ECON111 hard for you? I just want to be prepared for this course. Generally if you remember, what were the topics in this course and what did you have to do. I did alright in Economics during HSC, since this is a foundation unit, I'm assuming its on par with economics in yr 12 (just an assumption please correct if I'm wrong) :)

thanks!

rayy_bann

HSC
any advice for someone who is doing acst101 and econ111 in the same semester?
Hey! I'm a first year and don't have much information to help you, but from what I heard, I think ACST101 is more mathematics oriented as opposed to ECON111. I think Economics involves essays/more writing? (I think- please someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, I would assume you will not be too overwhelmed with the mathematics topics.

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys!

rayy_bann

HSC
Hmm, my 2nd sem of my first year was a little something like acst101, econ111, stat170 and accg106. I managed to get 2 D's and 2 HD's but damn that was difficult. Econ111 is challenging but if you do econ110 first sem or have a decent understanding of econ you should breeze through it. Same with accg106 with hsc business studies. A lot of the maths in acst101 isn't new, but it's the elements that really kills everyone.

oh; although it personally doesnt matter, if I remember correctly, all the actuaries do acst101 2nd semester, meaning the average mark is a lot higher, so quite often it would leave not actuary students behind the average, but this doesn't impact your mark at all, more of a psychological thing.

I feel a little more confidence that I can possibly survive these subjects with obviously- hard work. But out of curiousity, how is ECON111 like? Does it involve more essay/writing compared to ACST? What are the topics studied? If you done HSC Economics, is this course somewhat similar? Therefore, if I did it, will it be somehow advantageous for this course?

Thanks!

rayy_bann

HSC
I found this on Macq website:

Microeconomic Principles - ECON111
This unit aims to provide an introduction to the main ideas and concepts involved in modern economics; and attempts to provide students with an understanding of how the economy works, what type of problems economists attempt to solve, and how they set about trying to solve them. The unit is primarily concerned with the analysis of individual decision-making units, and the behaviour of firms and industries in the economy, i.e. with microeconomics. Topics covered include: consumer choice and demand analysis; the firm and its production and costs; market structures from perfect competition to monopoly; factor markets; income distribution, poverty and discrimination; welfare economics; and market failure and microeconomic reform.

These topics were also present in HSC Economics. I hope its generally the same in ECON111. Did anyone do Economics Hsc? :)

Gangstar1

HSC
I'm doing eco 110 and eco 111 on my first semester am i gonna die ? =(

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
DAVID WESTCOTT IS KING! lol, I loved him, angry old bastard really knows how to drill things into your head. His pure anger and hatred was quite entertaining.
Yea he definitely made you aware of what you needed to know and he certainly knows his stuff. Did he also point at people who were disruptive during the lecture when you did the unit? I remember one time a few people were being noisy so he stopped the iLecture and proceeded to rip them a new one. I noticed throughout the Semester that he gave 2 or so warnings if someone was disruptive.

1. He stops and stares at the disrupting student.
2. He stops and points and student.

Then if student is still disruptive he will go off at them and they would get embarrassed.

Yeah I most likely would have not coped with all those subjects in one semester. But out of curiousity why was ECON111 hard for you? I just want to be prepared for this course. Generally if you remember, what were the topics in this course and what did you have to do. I did alright in Economics during HSC, since this is a foundation unit, I'm assuming its on par with economics in yr 12 (just an assumption please correct if I'm wrong) :)

thanks!
Np, and I guess the reason ECON111 was hard for me was because I never did Economics in HS so everything was new to me. In my opinion it was a lot of content to take in throughout the semester (but since you did Econ in HS I think you'll do fine)

Last edited:

Fisiks

HSC
What are the assessments / exam like for econ111? Similar to HSC economics with short -medium response and essays or just one of those styles of question?

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
What are the assessments / exam like for econ111? Similar to HSC economics with short -medium response and essays or just one of those styles of question?
There is a mid-term test around week 5 which consists of 20 multiple choice questions, there are also the tutorial presentations. Then you'll have a major assignment due in week 8 (it contains short-medium response questions), and the final contains multiple choice and extended response questions. There are also about 4 quizzes that are available every 3 weeks or so (only worth 5%). There was never any sort of "essay" question, so you won't have to do any of that.

I can send you the sample exam if you wish. It's only really useful for giving you an idea of the structure of the final exam, they won't give you answers so you can't really use the sample exam for studying.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
When I was in first sem I did ACST101 and STAT170 together, not knowing what I was heading into. Back then both units had a weekly online quiz which were not difficult but still stressful. In hindsight, although I despised those quizzes I found that they really help you stay on the ball because these are units where each week builds on the previous week. I also enjoyed doing the more easier units for semester 2, such as BBA and MTKG and ECON.

I think it's best to do ACST101 in first semester as I have heard that the actuarial students do this sub in second semester, and as such it's harder to do as well as them then if maths is not your forte. I may be wrong on this though.

F2001

HSC
Oh and the handbook isn't always accurate. I know plenty of people that only did general maths at school who easily beat people that did 3/4 unit, it's a different ball game at uni, just keep on top of your work and you'll be sweet.
Because all you need is really basic level of maths. AND most of the statistical techniques are actually straight out of your general mathematics course.
Someone who has Year 9 Advanced mathematics under their belt is probably capable of doing it. Workload? Maybe not.
I did it as an 100level CP filler over a year ago but IIRC it's only really basic algebra and equations.

Seriously, this unit is very easy. The difficulty people talk about is ridiculously hyped up.

This is how I am approaching things. I finished school 14 years ago and only did General Maths if that's what it's called these days. It was called maths in society when I was at school. I have been teaching myself higher levels of maths now online and I find the concepts are coming to me better than I thought. As a teenager I would just immediately switch off if things seemed too confusing. I have done 3 physics subjects as part of a building diploma and a maths subject as part of a diploma of financial services and managed to get distinctions in them. I know it was only tafe but because I had a keen interest in the subject, I put the effort in.
This is good advice, the maths dept has free online notes. Search for them, practice them and they should help you refresh yourself and inform of your current proficiency and unit capabilities.

rayy_bann

HSC
When I was in first sem I did ACST101 and STAT170 together, not knowing what I was heading into. Back then both units had a weekly online quiz which were not difficult but still stressful. In hindsight, although I despised those quizzes I found that they really help you stay on the ball because these are units where each week builds on the previous week. I also enjoyed doing the more easier units for semester 2, such as BBA and MTKG and ECON.

I think it's best to do ACST101 in first semester as I have heard that the actuarial students do this sub in second semester, and as such it's harder to do as well as them then if maths is not your forte. I may be wrong on this though.
thanks so much for the input! I made my timetable already. Initially it had ACST101 and STAT170 in one semester. But I changed it so STAT170 is in sem 1 and ACST101 is in sem2. So they're both in different semesters just not vice versa. I guess its good enough. I mean I can cope alright in maths, its just not in comparison to more writing related subjects like say, LAW109. :)

Legendaryy

HSC
after reading this thread, im starting to freak out. i put down in my first session STAT170, ECON111, ACST101 and PHL137 (people unit) and in session 2 i put down ACCG106, MKTG101, BBA102 and HRM107. my math skill is pretty okay, i dont want to put a dent in my GPA ... have i put too much workload on myself? any advice???

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Out of the subjects you've listed, I found STAT170 to be the most challenging. It's not a hard subject, but you just need to keep doing the required practise. Don't get lazy otherwise you'll fall behind.

I personally found the subjects you're studying in your second semester to be the easier ones, so you may have a chance to really kick up your GPA there (if you're anything like me).

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
after reading this thread, im starting to freak out. i put down in my first session STAT170, ECON111, ACST101 and PHL137 (people unit) and in session 2 i put down ACCG106, MKTG101, BBA102 and HRM107. my math skill is pretty okay, i dont want to put a dent in my GPA ... have i put too much workload on myself? any advice???
I don't think ACST should really be mixed up with the other maths related units. But I guess it wouldn't be bad if you had ACCG106 and ACST101 in the same semester, so maybe: ACST101, ACCG106, MKTG101 and PHL137 and for Sem 2: STAT170, ECON111, BBA102 and HRM107.

Last edited:

Legendaryy

HSC
ahh thanks for the advices, i already enrolled into my units so i can't swap them around, i'll do my best though :) !

blurp

HSC
I agree with this. Though ACST101 and STAT170 together doesn't sound too bad, I definitely wouldn't mix ACST101 with ECON111 (just my opinion though).
oh no i have econ111 and acst 101 in second semester... :( do you think my gpa will suffer cause of this

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
oh no i have econ111 and acst 101 in second semester... :( do you think my gpa will suffer cause of this
Well that was just my experience, as long as you put the effort in and stay on top of things it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sorry if this freaked you out! It wasn't my intention :(

As long as you do the work, stay on top of everything and revise (and practice!) I don't see how anything could go wrong :) I wasn't so great at maths in HS and I never did economics so that is why those two units were kinda hard for me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)