Actuarial Studies: MQ vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

alexvincent

HSC
I went to the UNSW O Day last Saturday just out of curiosity... I never thought I would end up there. I want to do actuarial studies at MQ because I've always heard that their program is better than UNSW's. But when I attended the actuarial studies lecture, the speaker said that the courses themselves are overall the same but UNSW is better because it has better links to the industry and a number of companies. He highlighted the failure of MQ's equivalent of the co-op programs because UNSW actuarial studies graduates were getting employed over MQ grads.

I realise there would be a lot of advertising here, but how much is true and untrue? Which uni is overall better for actuarial studies?

lanyon

HSC
yeh im interested in actuarial studies too. Im pretty sure UNSW is only the best if u do co-op, otherwise MQ is better. But you should also look into ANU, ive heard from students their that they have some of the best lecturers for actuarial studies.

hello2004

There are three reasons why you should consider UNSW:

- If you get Co-op go to UNSW (industry links are great, but only to the few who can get them!!)
- If you aren't that certain of doing actuarial studies go to UNSW (if you drop out, the courses their are better)
- If you live really far from MQ, go to UNSW

If none of the above apply come to Macquarie. Did the lecturer at UNSW mention the fact that only a handful of students grauate with Associate status? Whereas at MQ (where the course was developed) anyone doing a double degree can exit with a Part II in four years.

At the moment MQ is better than UNSW for actuarial studies and it will be for a while yet. There course has far too much history to dismiss it especially for UNSW which has graduated less than five classes.

UNSW actuarial studies graduates were getting employed over MQ grads
If any UNSW grad is being hired over an MQ grad it is more likely due to the fact that he/she was a flat out better candidate (as opposed to the environment of the uni).

(BTW, MQ's course is tougher than UNSW's)

alexvincent

HSC
Is it possible to transfer from MQ to UNSW if I've realised I've made a mistake? If so, how hard is it?

I want to combine act studies with eco.. or commerce with eco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)