• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

acturial studies (im in 12) (1 Viewer)

bigredboof

HSC
ND said:
Hey is that you Re***? (don't wanna divulge your full name if that's you for privacy reasons) You're a girl, working at Mac Bank, doing 211 and MATH133, surely it's gotta be you.

yeah, thats me. but not 211 and 133 anymore!!!!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
CrashOveride said:
hey guys i was just wondering once u finish the acst degree and do the err AIAA exams( ?) which i think are much easier to get than the FIAA, ur not actually qualified to work as an actuary but u still have the skills to land other jobs in the finance/commerce area?
u dont really sit ur exams to become AIAA if u do a double degree at mq uni. coz u do control cycles in ur 4th yr so assuming u get credits in all ur exemption subjects u don't need to sit external exams. u'd only sit external exams if u didnt get cr in exemption subjects at uni and u dun wanna repeat it at uni.

if u r AIAA ur employed as an "actuarial associate". FIAA's are titled "actuary". (at my work place anyway).

and yes ur degree will be valued in finance/commerce. You can pass all ur subjects, get ur degree and use that to help u get into finance/commerce jobs. u dont even need AIAA for that recognition.

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
Also another thing...how many of u guys are thinking of doing the master in commerce (acst) ? That gets u the Part II exemptioons if u only did the single acturial undergrad degree but i read that it may look more appealing to employers if u did a B com and then M Com vs. a double degree?

flamin'

M commerce is harder to get thats why its preferred. If you do a single degree and do honours... honours is just 4ht year the control cycle and you get Part II from that.

I asked my boss today what is a good double degree to get. She said it doesn't matter much coz once you're in you're in... i guess that means once you're working you're working and it doens't make much difference coz you pick up heaps of stuff from workign anywyas.

aditya

HSC
acturial studies and econometrics? how far apart are they.... and would it be a disad doing econometrics to persue a finance role?

RIZAL

HSC
econometrics is about recognising trends in financial/economic data and applying models to describe the numerical relationships between key economic forces such as capital, interest rates, and labor.

I think that there is a strong link between finance and econometrics and I econometric models being used in things like the Capital Asset Pricing Model and Arbitrage Pricing Theory (the fundamentals of the relationship between risk and return).

that said, the actuarial/econometrics degree is prity uncommon? i haven't met anyone taking it.

aditya

HSC
realli :eek: nice... im thikning of doing econometrics + accounting.... i rekn the finance major is a pos :D post grad finance is more suitable IMHO.... accounting to get in, econometrics to move up ?? :S

thats my philosophy anyway.... dunt have much choice :$

ALSO.... do u use many computer programs in university to model things and shit? If so what are they called? just mention the ones u learn to an extent which can be applied in the real world :S

RIZAL

HSC
aditya said:
ALSO.... do u use many computer programs in university to model things and shit? If so what are they called? just mention the ones u learn to an extent which can be applied in the real world :S

Shazam, Excel, Minitab.

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok people re: COMP115 vs. COMP125
Ive read COMP125 is more into comp architecture and suitable for people who have a decent computer background?
Anyone want to comment here :)

RIZAL

HSC
pretty sure this has been covered before.

if u are doing comp double degree or it is likely that you will transfer into comp double degree, choose 125. Else choose 115.

CloudStrife

HSC
yep wat isaaq sed bout comp125 vs 115....

can anyone comment on whether comp degree is useful if u wanna be an actual actuary wen u get a job? or banking/finance/investment type job.... coz i found comp125 very dull and boring....so thinkin if comp degree is any good for me...

bigredboof

HSC
CloudStrife said:
yep wat isaaq sed bout comp125 vs 115....

can anyone comment on whether comp degree is useful if u wanna be an actual actuary wen u get a job? or banking/finance/investment type job.... coz i found comp125 very dull and boring....so thinkin if comp degree is any good for me...

Comp degree is good if you want to get into something like quantitative applications, because they use alot of computer programming for their models.
If not, dont see why it would disadvantage you not doing the comp degree as well

CloudStrife

HSC
it seems like there's alot more theory than actual programming involved with the computing degree....thats why i'm having 2nd thoughts on it rite now...

comp125 can be quite hard if u got no programming background, and i don't realli recall much architecture stuff....there's more theory involved than 115 i know.......but 115 is heaps easy if u do hab programming background....duno if that helps ...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
I GOT IN!!! im joining you guys here yayy

WOOT APP FIN / ACTUARIAL HERE I COME =D

CrashOveride

HSC
Well i think it is factual that at least 90% if not more of ACST at least is Asian :p
Not that i am complaining, merely pointing out observations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)