alternatives to not making acst (1 Viewer)

maniacguy

Note - the UNSW program does NOT include FINS1612 (Capital Markets & Institutions) unless you're a Finance major or doing it as an elective. Other alternatives include COMP1091 (Computing with C) for Actuarial/Maths students, MATH1081 (Discrete Maths) for Actuarial/Maths students who can find a convincing reason why the clash doesn't matter, Business Law subjects, Law subjects, etc. etc.

Rahul

Dead Member
in that case, for me, will only the first yr subjects come into consideration, if i transfer after the first yr?

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by maniacguy
Note - the UNSW program does NOT include FINS1612 (Capital Markets & Institutions) unless you're a Finance major or doing it as an elective. Other alternatives include COMP1091 (Computing with C) for Actuarial/Maths students, MATH1081 (Discrete Maths) for Actuarial/Maths students who can find a convincing reason why the clash doesn't matter, Business Law subjects, Law subjects, etc. etc.
sorry, i meant Business Finance, whaever's the code for that. i dint bother to look up ....

Rahul

Dead Member
hmm.. perhaps i am misinterpreting 'transfers'.

what i am thinking is that if i gain entry into, lets say, accounting, that i will do the accounting subjects in my first yr (these subjects will also include some subjects that acturials will do in their first yr). then if i transfer, i will start doing the acturials course (as if it was my undergrad yr), except the overlapping subjects i did in my first yr of accounting.
therefore, only the subjects in my first yr of accounting would be able to 'overlap' with any acturial subjects.
where am i getting it wrong there^?

hope that isnt too confusing:(

Rahul

Dead Member
ok, so for accouting...you mentioned that the 'helpful' courses were more in level 300, ie 3rd year?
so if i am looking to transfer to acst in my second year, how can these be of any use?

Rahul

Dead Member
hmmm.....this is hard to digest. well i have all the subjects for the courses, so i'll be trying to see which courses will overlap with acst...

i should be only looking for the 'overlapping' in the first year, right?

btw, can you empty your pm box flyin'?

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by flyin'
It just depends on what you're aiming to do... Overlappin' as many units as possible would definitely be useful to just get some of the units out of the way...
yes, thats what i will be looking to see to now.:)

thanks for answering ALL those questions:D

Rahul

Dead Member
here is my 'work'.

could you comment on the stat171 subject. the sites said that eather 171 or 170, will that make a considerable difference. from memory i think one was introductory and other more advanced.

also, for applied finance, the electives for the course were units from psychology, business admin and computing. but i wont know which ones exctly....will that matter?

so the most helpful from there will be, applied finance, accounting, business admin and maths. are there any other courses?

Rahul

Dead Member
Also you don't have to follow there recommended timetable. Just add whatever unit you need for ACST (unless quotaed) because you're goin' to transfer anyway. :)
hopefully:)
so are you saying when i start a course i can alter the units so i cover more acturial units?

Do COMP115, unless you are already competent in C++ code in which case COMP125. But there should be COMP115 Advance and Basis version by your year.
i have done c++ in sdd for my project actually. worked with arrays, records, pointers. thats about complex as it got.

Rahul

Dead Member
yep i do like programming actually. i had no idea there was such flexibility in choosing units:)

well preferences are in now.:)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Da Monstar
and they are .... ?
i put these in last night.
btw, i have to include BBA/B Accounting and BAppFin/B Accouting in there at the expence of other ones.

1. Bachelor of Commerce - Actuarial Studies at Macquarie University
2. Bachelor of Applied Finance at Macquarie University
3. Bachelor of Commerce - Accounting at Macquarie University
4. Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting and Finance at Macquarie University
5. Bachelor of Business Administration at Macquarie University
6. Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Commerce at University of Sydney
7. Bachelor of Commerce at University of New South Wales
8. Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering) at University of New South Wales
9. Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) at University of Sydney

SoFTuaRiaL

well, i see from ur preferences that ur main interest is in commerce (and macq :mad:). so u might as well remove 6, 8 n 9 and add those other courses ...

Rahul

Dead Member
yeh i'll be looking to do that...i had started out looking to do engineering/commerce, but then my mind changed....towards acturials:D

i better get into one of these

how is B commerce -accounting/ B law? the uai was like 95 last yr, quite low for a law degree, no? must be due to the fact it is MQ maybe

SoFTuaRiaL

u can always do a BE/BCom and major in actuarial, as i'm doing now. also, chk the post in the unsw forum. the BE/BCom is not only for software engg, it can be done with any engg major

Rahul

Dead Member
well you cant choose BE/BCom at unsw atm, there is no hecs code for it, let me know if there is tho, might have to consider it.

edit/ read your post in unsw section:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)