Any 2010 hopefuls? (1 Viewer)

eb590

HSC
Burgmann Applicants,
I didn't get in either and also got that stupid email that we were sent.

Anyway I rang the Dean of the College to see what the go was with there being so few places and here's a summary of what he said:
  • Many 2nd,3rd,4th year (etc) students have stayed on at the college for next year and he said they now occupy 300 of the 350 places available at the college
  • Normally there are at least 80 places available to first year
What does this mean for you?
  • The remaining 50 places were then selected from 500 applications to the college. The process was done by constantly bringing down the applications into categories based on your ability to contribute to the college - sadly even though many of us could have given a lot to the college some people did have to miss out.
So, is there any chance I can still go to Burgmann or do I need to apply elsewhere?

There is still hope! - however it is slim hope, so you have 2 main options:
  1. You are still able to get a place at Burgmann college because even though 50 places have been awarded, it is not yet known whether these applicants will get an offer for the ANU
  • If the successful applicants are not offered a place at ANU or defer, there will be more places available at Burgmann
  • These will be limited places and it would be quite risky to leave Burgmann as your first preference. The reason being that should you still not get an offer for Burgmann it will be more difficult to get into a college you like despite the accommodation guarantee.
2. Best Course of Action:
Change your preferences - move them all up one, if you do this and are applying to anywhere except Johns they will not know you have changed your preferences.
(Johns has already begun the selection process whereas other colleges only offer places AFTER an academic offer has been made)
Your new preferences will still be said to be received on the date you originally lodged your application (e.g. 30th August) rather than 16th December.

I really hope this helps anyone who was confused about it, and I'm very sorry you didn't get your first preference.

Please feel free to msg me if you've got any questions!
Good luck;)

gingerwitch28

HSC
Thanks a lot for that :) My mum called up someone she knows who works at ANU and then she told me that her friend had said Ursula Hall (my second) was lovely and the rooms are bigger than Burgmann - unfortunately no TARDIS but that can be dealt with :p - so I'm coming to terms with it. I'll go change my preferences now - I think Ursula's less-party-dominated reputation could mean a good fit for me. Again, thankyou :)

Edit: Just so you all know, you need to email the uni accom email address (it's in the Burgmann rejection email) to change your preferences ;)

Last edited:

tazraz

HSC
I swear the Tardis is just a cupboard and basin with a fancy Doctor Who nickname. I think it has become somewhat of a selling point. I'm going to change my first preference to Bruce, it sounds ok. Anyone going to the advisory day in Sydney tomorrow?

gingerwitch28

HSC
It was a selling point for me insofar as I didn't think people would look at me weird when they discovered my passionate love for all things Who :p

philphie

Banned
HSC
i might go to ANU for development studies but i'm from sydney. so what do you do for fun in Canberra? ransack old parli house?

Wepwawet

HSC
We like having good clean fun here. Supping tea or listening to good music like Porcupine Tree is always great fun.

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
I got into Burgmann!

I had to do a phone interview and they were stoked with how much I was willing to contribute to Burgmann Life and offered me a spot right there :) they sent the confirmation email like 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)