Bad English Teaching!!!! (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
lmao

We had a catholic studies teacher last year that literally knew jack all about the the whole subject. We ask her a question and she says "I'll have to do some research and get back to you on that" even though it was on fundamental aspects of the course lol. I seriously believe she wasn't qualified; she was teaching PE since I came to the school in year 8 and all of a sudden last year 'Oh I'm a religion teacher now'.
My teacher makes himself seem all smart but when we ask questions in biology he says "Go find out yourself and get back to me" or "I'm not gonna tell you". =.=

becca12

HSC
dw im in the same boat. My Eng teacher spends 90% telling us off and 10% laughing and making jokes. It's veeeeery frustrating sometimes

delian

HSC
N/A
Universities should make a higher ATAR cut-off for teaching....
And the friggen government should pay teachers more so this way, high calibre people actually will go into teaching if there's good pay....

Teaching was once a prestigious career to an extent... Now, it has downgraded....
I guess not that many people with higher atar want to do teaching

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess not that many people with higher atar want to do teaching
Yep.
It all comes down to mainly the pay for a career to attract people into doing it.... If teachers were earning 85 000+ a year (excluding highly accompished teachers who earn 99 000 a year) then this would attract more high calibre people.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Universities should make a higher ATAR cut-off for teaching....
And the friggen government should pay teachers more so this way, high calibre people actually will go into teaching if there's good pay....

Teaching was once a prestigious career to an extent... Now, it has downgraded....
I strongly disagree.

A particular ATAR earned in Year 12 is not a measure of an individuals ability after they graduate from university. Some people move forwards, and others move backwards.

The argument in this thread is that teachers are ignoring students. A teacher's academic ability when they attended high school is not a measure of their people skills when they are working full-time.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I strongly disagree.

A particular ATAR earned in Year 12 is not a measure of an individuals ability after they graduate from university. Some people move forwards, and others move backwards.

The argument in this thread is that teachers are ignoring students. A teacher's academic ability when they attended high school is not a measure of their people skills when they are working full-time.
Then the problem is selection of staff.... Teachers who don't treat their job seriously results in students who don't treat their learning seriously.

Power Rangers

HSC
N/A
I honestly think they should interview people who want to study teaching. Teachers are incredibly important, and there are way too many shit teachers out there, or people only studying teaching because that was the only course they could get into (other than arts).

If they were more selective about who became a teacher based on their motivation, I reckon they could really fix the education system. And for fucking god's sake, GET RID OF THOSE TEACHERS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR 50 YEARS AND HAVE LOST ALL MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING. 99% of them are complacent assholes who do NOTHING. I agree that the ones who have been around for ages and haven't lost their drive/motivation are pretty damn good, but the rest of them need to make way for the fresh meet who genuinely give a shit about their students, gosh.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly think they should interview people who want to study teaching. Teachers are incredibly important, and there are way too many shit teachers out there, or people only studying teaching because that was the only course they could get into (other than arts).

If they were more selective about who became a teacher based on their motivation, I reckon they could really fix the education system. And for fucking god's sake, GET RID OF THOSE TEACHERS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR 50 YEARS AND HAVE LOST ALL MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING. 99% of them are complacent assholes who do NOTHING. I agree that the ones who have been around for ages and haven't lost their drive/motivation are pretty damn good, but the rest of them need to make way for the fresh meet who genuinely give a shit about their students, gosh.
I agree. However, teachers who are near retirement tend to be motivating for students. Experienced teachers (usually old ones) can really inspire students and they share success stories about their former students to current students. They understand the effects of hardwork. But yes, there are quite a few teachers who become complacent.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
increase incentives for people to go into teaching (better pay/conditions).

With that occuring there'll be more demand for the jobs, leading to the ability to actually be selective about who they get in to teach. Thus, teachers of better calibre.

There's a reason why heaps of crap teachers get in.

(also improving skills will be helpful)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This would *theoretically* work. However, the problem is that if we do implement such a thing, the number of teachers in NSW getting into the workforce one year will go from lets say 1000 to 300.

The thing they are working on now is to break the vicious cycle:

crap teacher ----> poorly performing and uninspired students who never want to be teachers ----> few people doing teaching ---> we need more teachers ---> lower the standards so we can get more teachers ----> Square 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)