Bios1101 (1 Viewer)

gtan6

HSC
Hey yeah i emailed Nebuchanezzar about bios notes earlier today...
i have a complete set of Prac 1,2 and 8 and the rest I have random information on..

Nebuchanezzar: i have page 86 and 87 completed in prac 6 if u need.
Just tell me what you're missing and i will see if i have them..

gtan6

HSC
btw sorry for not posting earlier.. BOS wouldnt send me my username and stuff..

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ok, well I need quite a bit from pracs 6 and 7 it seems, as those were the weeks that we had to spend a whole lot of time doing those crappy drawings I believe.

We've got two weeks until the prac test though, plenty of time.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
err...more like 1 week and a bit for me
i have labs on tues >,<
thats why i need them asap :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hey, what's up everyone.

Ok, I'm sending you the files jeremy via your E-mail.

Arh, the internet here is like baka!
Neways got to do my readings for phil.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah got your email rex
thanks buddy for that
really appreciated :)

G

Gavvvvvin

Fuck I'm up shit creek for bio...as well as evry other subject. I'm just gonna study for the prac test the morning before whilst on the train from my prac manual which doesnt have a single answer filled in :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hmm i wonder whos prepared for the bios prac exam

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Some questions in the prac exam are easy. But some are like "WTF??!"

Please know your stuff well! They asked me to classify the leaves from memory.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol Yeah, like 3 years or so ago, a friend of mine said that they asked the wierdest of the questions in the Practical Test.

Lmao one was like Classify this fruit...alot wrote like peas, and they were penalised by leaving out the 'broad' and the type of plant the fruit was bore upon. It appears like the dissections of the animals were the popular 'hard' questions encountered.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah
as people were saying there are easy questions....i wonder what type of questions they were
im screwed ><....theres gotta be a lot of prac copying tomorrow....oh wells should be a great lab...last one yay
oh rex you have msn?

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
oh survivor, just another question....would it be sufficient if we just memorise the answers and other stuff in our prac manuals, or do we need to do more, ie background reading in order to do reasonably well in the prac exam?
any more tips you can give us :p
kindly appreciated

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
velox and i agree that its appropriate to arrange some kind of a BIOS study session for prac exam, so if you would like to be involved, write the time that your free and we'll arrange some kind of session
happy studying and good luck

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
azn_gangsta81 said:
oh survivor, just another question....would it be sufficient if we just memorise the answers and other stuff in our prac manuals, or do we need to do more, ie background reading in order to do reasonably well in the prac exam?
any more tips you can give us :p
kindly appreciated
It's fine just know everything in the manual. But just know it well. Some of the questions you can't really study for anyway. For example, they will put a pin in an organ of a dissected rat/toad and it will ask you "What is the Function of this organ?", and questions like that. You bascially you need to know the dissected rat really well (obviously you need to draw well to have any chance in the first place), then correlate this structure to the function. If you don't know the organ you're screwed; if you know the organ but don't know the function, you're screwed as well. Sometimes your rat may be different from the dissected rat in the prac test and it's hard to identify the structure/function. But nothing you can do there except to give an educated guess.

For the classification stuff, you must know "how to classify", not just know every plants you've seen in the lab. They are testing you to see whether you can APPLY the concepts you have learned to a "new" situation. They are NOT testing you whether you can memorise this plant has this classification, they want you to know how to do it by looking at any plant (e.g. how do you know its a monocot/dicot, why have you classified this leaf with this structure?).

There are 2-3 questions that requires looking at a microscope, e.g. classification of epithelia, name sturcture of the eye (i.e. receptors) and function, and plants.

Finally, strange questions include looking at a picture of an organism and know the transition period through the evolutionary pathway.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'm free Tuesday afternoons...and that's about it. Sorry about not scanning in any pages, the the God damned scanner isn't working, and I haven't tried to get it back up yet. Thanks for the pointers too Survivor.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
damn that is a fair bit to know about...but im just glad that reading the manual and answers are enough.....not even sure if i have time to know everything
hope they dont give us an organ that noone will know.....maybe a lung, heart, kidney or liver will do
yeah im free on monday 1-3, tues all arvo, wed 1-2, thurs 12-2
thats about it

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I recall Keyne specifically showing us the testicles, and judging by the way they hammered the point into us that something in the reproductive system will be examined, I guess we'll have to know of em. I doubt they'll give us something impossible like the uterus.

Also, I recall that fruit classification will definately play an important part in the final exam, or so they said. Indeed.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ahh dammit reproductive system
i bet ya theyre gonna pin something that ew can abrely see and ask us what it is and the function it performs :(
what else did keyne point out...any hints regarding the prac exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)