choosing subjects for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

selablad

HSC
I thought all the years went by pretty fast...as it gets higher...as in year 1 went by really slowly, and year 10 really fast, and now year 11 faster still...but they all improved along with that as well...as in year 1 was bad, and year 10 the best, and year 11 better still...

Or something.

ecd90

HSC
leoyh said:
2) scaling - i did this and picked chemistry and it absolutely screwed me over. i hated it, therefore didnt pay attention, therefore sucked (i didnt actually suck but i wasnt doing anywhere near as well as i was in the other subjects that i enjoyed)
exact same situation for me, i picked chem and it was an absolute bitch, dropped it at end of year 11.

open windows

HSC
Pick subjects you love. Pick something you're excited and motivated to learn more about. It'll make everything so much easier.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
also take into consideration the teacher you might have
I don't think so. It is hard to predict (in many cases) who you are getting as a teacher & no one should choose subject based on teachers. If I did, I wouldn't be doing half of my current subjects.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kaz1 said:
i did and a year old issue with the teacher through until a little around year 11 and by the time i wanted to study the subject he taught and weve placed the issue aside it was too late

justxlouise

HSC
Do subjects you enjoy and are good at.
It's pointless doing a subject you dislike and don't do well in.
Besides, it doesn't matter if the subject does not relate to the career path you have in mind.
When you start uni, you start anew

Aplus

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
I don't think I would ever take that into consideration.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone,
I'm having some issues with choosing my subjects.
You see, our school requires everyone to do 12 units for year 12 as well as year 11...i've basically only got 10 units of subjects that i definetely want to do for year 11 & 12. i want to do english advanced, mathematics, biology, geography and business studies. but i don't really know what to do for my last 2 units. i want to do business at uni...so if you can help me, i'll really appeciate it ;-)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nhoustonrocks said:
Hi everyone,
You see, our school requires everyone to do 12 units for year 12 as well as year 11...i've basically only got 10 units of subjects that i definetely want to do for year 11 & 12. i want to do english advanced, mathematics, biology, geography and business studies. but i don't really know what to do for my last 2 units. i want to do business at uni...so if you can help me, i'll really appeciate it ;-)
What about Economics? Economics is similar to Business Studies. However, it's much harder Business Studies.

You may be also interested in either IPT or SDD as they may help you with general skills that are essential in our modern businesses.

Alternatively, you may consider doing some Extension subjects such as Mathematics Extension 1 or English Extension 1.

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
Hi everyone,
hey! i go to abbotsleigh as well, i'm in year 12.
umm i'd say economics but really, I do it and its pretty boring. stay away.

you could pick up 3 u maths and english if you like for year 11. our school policy is to do 12 units, but a lot of girls just do 11. anyway good luck

spoonbender

HSC
lyounamu said:
What about Economics? Economics is similar to Business Studies. However, it's much harder Business Studies.

You may be also interested in either IPT or SDD as they may help you with general skills that are essential in our modern businesses.

Alternatively, you may consider doing some Extension subjects such as Mathematics Extension 1 or English Extension 1.
I do SDD. It's more trouble than it's worth if you're not planning on becoming a programmer. If you're looking for stuff that relates to business aside from economics/business services, maybe Geography would be useful? They do stuff about population/deomgraphics and stuff right? Plus it's not overly difficult and you would be familiar with it from Junior school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Lyounamu you deleted your post.
Trying to make me look like a psycho huh :p
I tried to put more stuff in it. But I ended up deleting it. :mad:

I appreciate your view. But in my point it was much harder than Business Studies when I did it.

agua.fuego

HSC
Jess007 said:
well i didnt choose maths... not for the uai purposes but id say if ur good at it stick with it, coz if u doreally well it will scale u up. but if ur shit at it, it will only scale u down, like every other subject
I've dropped Maths as well, not because I was bad at it, really, I just hated it beyond all oblivion. That's basically how I chose my subjects - on what I liked and disliked.

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
OMG..finally..probably only place where I can post what I want to do in yr 11..yay

Definetely doing:

Advanced English (2)
3U Mathematics..(3) (Mathematics (2) + Mathematics Extension 1 (1) = 3U Maths)
Chemistry (2)
Physics (2)
Geography (2)

Maybe:
Modern History
Study of Religion I
Legal Studies..

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
melissa92 said:
OMG..finally..probably only place where I can post what I want to do in yr 11..yay

Advanced English (2)
Mathematics (2)
Mathematics Extension 1 (1)
Chemistry (2)
Physics (2)
Geography (2)

maybe:
Study of Religion...
lol u look like u wanna be a civil engineer

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Forbidden. said:
lol u look like u wanna be a civil engineer
Awe..thanks..xD..I want to study the things i want to study..Maths<3..English<3 Science<3 and Geography<333 (geo because im good at it..<3)

lol..
what are you doing?

Wait..just realised..you're done with your HSC..lmao

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
melissa92 said:

Definetely doing:

Advanced English (2)
3U Mathematics..(3) (Mathematics (2) + Mathematics Extension 1 (1) = 3U Maths)
Chemistry (2)
Physics (2)
Geography (2)

Maybe:
Modern History
Study of Religion I

melissa , i'm in year 10.
anyway guys i am considering these subjects for year 11 tell me what you think about it, please.

Advanced English (2U) + extension english (1U) = (3U)
maths (2U) + extension maths (1U) = (3U)

Physics (2U)
Chemistry (2U)
Biology (2U)
Modern History (2U)

i have to check if my school actually offers extension english if not then :(

so all that is 14 Units for year 11,
and when i am in year 12 i plan to drop one (2U) subject and pick up extension two maths adding another unit. which means 13 units in year twelve.

as i said before i have to check with the school if there is extension english if not, i will be sad.:(

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
dux&src said:
oh my god melissa , i'm in year 10 and i attend birrong as well.

anyway guys i am considering these subjects for year 11 tell me what you think about it, please.

Advanced English (2U) + extension english (1U) = (3U)
maths (2U) + extension maths (1U) = (3U)

Physics (2U)
Chemistry (2U)
Biology (2U)
Ancient History (2U)

i have to check if my school actually offers extension english if not then :(

so all that is 14 Units for year 11,
and when i am in year 12 i plan to drop one (2U) subject and pick up extension two maths adding another unit. which means 13 units in year twelve.

as i said before i have to check with the school if there is extension english if not, i will be sad.:(
14 units is a ton of work and most schools don't have a timetable that can accomodate 14 units.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
kaz1 said:
14 units is a ton of work and most schools don't have a timetable that can accomodate 14 units.
i have been Dux every year in high school though i think i can handle it. Besides i calculated it to be 14 times 60 hours giving a total of 840 hours.

out of 40 weeks minus public holidays and pupil free days
equals 38 weeks around and 23 periods each week of an hour means that i will have 874 hours to fit 840 hours worth of work.

assuming that the teacher isnt away or me then i would get through the syllabus.
OMG
lol no free periods
but more then likely i will have no free periods at all to study. o well i will try it though.
i can handle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)