Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Half-Half

Votes: 32 36.4%

• Total voters

sunny

meh.
HSC
Without having read the entire thread, I can say this:

1) First year tends to suck. You do subjects not necessarily related to your degree and you'll get bored.

2) Some lecturers pass off first year subjects, putting more time and effort into higher level courses.

3) You need to work by yourself. Crap lecturer? Crap tutor? Can't change out of the class? Tough luck, its your job to find someone who can help you with work (classmate, someone whos done the course, textbook).

Alot of my school friends that I've graduated with are doing very poorly. They were always the hard working type in high school with 97+ UAIs - now they're barely passing subjects: they're simply not working.

Don't be put off because there's no pressure to work now. Rest assured the pressure will come.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
i like uni

but like the pace of things r pretty fast and that they expect u do know something and that if u dunno it already, they dun give a fuck..unlike high school

true, that.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
To add to what sunny has already said..
It's amazing to find ppl who got exorbitant UAI's in high school complain about their crappy marks at uni and whinge that there's essentially not enough spoon-feeding like in high school
My response to that is basically why bother graduating then? with an attitude like that, you wont find at job - simple as that

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
To add to what sunny has already said..
It's amazing to find ppl who got exorbitant UAI's in high school complain about their crappy marks at uni and whinge that there's essentially not enough spoon-feeding like in high school
My response to that is basically why bother graduating then? with an attitude like that, you wont find at job - simple as that
haha yea

like atm i'm trying to learn C++ on my own and like theres an assignment due in a few days time
my friends has no computer knowledge wat so ever, and still hasn't learn C++ yet, was like "oh i can do it later" cos he thinks he will learn it all with the help from lecturers..

*shakes head*

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Im going to say straight out that I don't like it. I HATED it the first two weeks (Ive just finished week 3).
Its not so much my subjects that I don't like (although that does have something to do with it, the content is all so basic, to cater for those who have never been exposed to the subject matter before--for eg. Foundations of Law A at UOW basically mirrors the Prelim legal studies course)
But its also the uni. I guess I put it on myself cos I didn't really want to go to UOW but when I got offered law I couldn't say no--I realise now I should have gone to the uni I wanted to and waited to transfer. I just don't like the feel of UOW.
I think Im also unhappy cos I haven't found any real friends yet, like you sit next to a new person each lec/tute and chat, but bar one or two, Ive never really talked to them again (theres a few cool exceptions--hi suz!).
Also, Im doing Arts/Law, but my Arts subjects seem sooo pointless and unlike law which I know that I am studying toward a particular end, these subjects just seem so random and a waste of time. If I stay at UOW next year I will definitely be transferring to comm/law.
Another thing is that in the break (4 months) I pretty much worked full time and loved it. I guess part of the reason I don't like uni is cos I am comparing it with work, how much I like it and how great the people are and the whole working 'lifestyle'.
Anywayz, Ive contacted the law faculty at Macq to see if there is any possibility of my transferring semester 2 and filling any spaces of dropouts *crosses fingers*

Last edited:

suz

HSC
Hey Ms 12 don't worry it wll get better, I'm the opposite, I love my arts side of the degree, perhaps changing to commerce might be the better thing to do, don't leave uow! lol
Gmraso and I are trying to organise a bos meetup so don't worry we will have lots of bos friends!!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
cos none of the city unis accept mid year transfers to law, well uts doesn't, usyd is out of the questions marks-wise, and I think Id be equally as unhappy at UNSW

Originally posted by spin spin sugar
why macq ms 12? why not one of the city unis? macq is soo far
so is uow
itd be about the same for me

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
i ve found uni quite fun so far :) .....lolz....there is stuff i learnt in like year 4 (on my own) that people dont know....like DOS which is helping me learn Unix way quicker than many people...:D so guess i have an edge over so many...yay.....jeez and what cud be better than spending time in UTS building 10 ?? huh :D

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
hey ms 12 have you thought about deferring for a year and just working full time? til you could have another go at the degree somewhere else? maybe thats what you need- HEAPS of ppl i have spoken to have done that.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Believe me Ive thought about it, but Im scared I won't go back and that won't be good in the long run

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jezzmo
i don't think that's quite what she meant. (correct me if i'm wrong, jlh). it seems a bit pointless to me when in some lectures people copy down the slides word for word even though you can get exact copies of those slides off the web.
LOL, i often tend to copy stuff down, even though it's on the web as well, but the thing is i learn better by writing stuff down then Only listening...anyways, i think i'd learn how it all works in uni :)

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
actually, no standards are set in any course except medicine that i know of. probably a portfolio for some art degrees. it's all just down to demand as to what the cut-off is like. do you understand how the cut-off system works? basically they start with the people who got 100 uai's and keep letting people into whatever course until it's full- the lowest uai that is let in then becomes the cut off. for new courses, there is no upper or lower boundary set. it, like everything else, rests solely on demand/who puts it on their preferences.

so yeah... there is no setting of standards to begin with.
The universities do have minimum UAI ranks for each and every course... There was a recent move that sought to have these ranks publicised along with the actual UAI cut-off.
The university also has the ability to determine the actual cut-off, too, for such reasons as 'prestige' or supposed difficulty (USyd raised a number of its cutoffs in 2002 due to these reasons).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by jezzmo
i don't think that's quite what she meant. (correct me if i'm wrong, jlh). it seems a bit pointless to me when in some lectures people copy down the slides word for word even though you can get exact copies of those slides off the web. also, when trivial examples are brought up that have little relevance, you see people scurrying it down onto paper, only to whisper to you 10seconds later asking "what's going on". to me, lectures are the best time to listen to the lecturer and be explained a concept. you can always write hordes of notes from a textbook later.
k, i c, well that's pointless, they should use the time in the lecture better then

and i think the same as you - female in av = female person
Originally posted by jlh
i think later on you will come to the realisation that a pass is damn good.. and anything above that is even better!!

(BTW i'm a guy!!)
ahh, this year is going to be hard

and i thought you were a girl!
Originally posted by Leanne
is anyone who doesnt like uni go to macquarie? Cos so far i havent heard of anyone who isnt satisfied there....
someone from last year said most mac people are happy. i think it's possibly more relaxed and friendly.
Originally posted by Minai
whinge that there's essentially not enough spoon-feeding like in high school
i don't understand the whole spoon feeding thing. they give us the lecture slides, and then go through them, and we add what we want - what's so different to school? how are we not being spoon fed as in school?
Originally posted by Ms 12
Believe me Ive thought about it, but Im scared I won't go back and that won't be good in the long run
and remember the hecs. but if you do do it, you have to force yourself to go back, it can be tempting not to though

vanity

HSC
i havent met one person at uni who isnt nice... i love the uni environment so much

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
ms 12.. don't worry to much about your uni situation.. i felt like that last year in first semester.. but then uni started to become fun, the social aspect as well as the workload (surprisingly...)!! i was at usyd last year but now i'm at macq.. i'm so glad i trasnferred.. macq uni is so laid back comparedt o usyd, people arn't highly competitive like at usyd, and the workload isn't as demanding because your very much free to do as you please as long as you do the assessments and hopefully pass!! i'd say stick it out for another semester, if your not happy it by the end of the year, put in a transfer.. but then again you will fall under the new hecs scheme so its tough...

Originally posted by iambored
i don't understand the whole spoon feeding thing. they give us the lecture slides, and then go through them, and we add what we want - what's so different to school? how are we not being spoon fed as in school?
actually at macq uni you are really spoonfed.. the lecture notes for most units you can buy from the coop before hand and just add whatever you want or not even go to the lectures are the notes are substitute enough (although the detail in them might be sparse)...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
First year UNI was a big shock to the system, especially since everyone for the last 12 months had been telling you that the HSC is "The most stressful thing you will ever have to do". (LIARS!)
I think in year 12 you kind of get used to being the centre of the schools attention, whereas in UNI you're basically chucked in at the deep-end with a seemingly insurmountable workload, and no one seems to give a shit about who you are or how you're coping. You really appreciate what a sweet ride high school was. But by the end of first semester you will be used to it all.
However...if you HATE your course, than maybe you hav made the wrong decision? Of course there are going to be a lot of boring classes, but if all yoru classes are crap, then maybe you shpudl quit while you're ahead.
There are times I consider chucking in the towel, but when I compare UNI to high school, it does have a LOT of plusses. High school was a bludge, but I don't think I could handle going back to the days of late notes, uniforms, bells, detentions, assembelies, roll calls, etc etc... :rolleyes: Even the classes where you would go and learn one new concept, then spend the next 2 lessons revising it. At the time that seemed like the only way to go, but looking back now... what a waste of time! UNI may be tough, but it is a hell of a lot more efficient.

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
Originally posted by jlh

actually at macq uni you are really spoonfed.. the lecture notes for most units you can buy from the coop before hand and just add whatever you want or not even go to the lectures are the notes are substitute enough (although the detail in them might be sparse)...
but thats only for certain subjects.. other subjects *cough* micro *cough* dont give you jack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)