• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does anyone actually like the roosters?? (1 Viewer)

Does anyone actually like the roosters??

• Yes... they are great!!!

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • No... they are a bunch of eastern suburbs wankers

Votes: 51 60.7%

• Total voters

Random_87

HSC
N/A
I dunno mate. I just thought I'd let people see that "your jokes are lame." Whether they realise you said that about me or not, i dont care. But not much stuff is said aabout me so i'll quote the lame thing because I would agree with that. I rekon i am pretty lame, but i'm cool with that. cos, hey, it gets me through the day :)

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
Suck onthat, Manly, Rorts, Dogs, Panthers, Warriors, Souths, Raiders, Knights
I still hate Bookie. He called us that disgusting and totally invalid name again: "rorts" Nice and compassion my ass. Watch urself or ill start harassing you again on Msn.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
**MeL**88 said:
How can you determine whether one team deserves to be in the final and another doesn't? Obviously the top 8 teams are on the most points, showing that they have played better than the bottom 7 teams, and therefore deserve to be in the finals. If the Roosters make the finals, it won't be simply because of them getting lucky with other teams losing. They have to beat the Bulldogs, and by a considerable amount considering the Panthers are in the same situation as us. If Manly lose, who says that they 'deserve' to be in the finals?
Any competition where more than half the teams can qualify for a Finals' series is a joke.

We have teams who have lost more games than they have won qualifying for the "prestigious" Finals . . . (see Raiders 2004).

If the Sea Eagles qualify this season, it will be on 12 wins and 12 losses. Any team below them that may or may not qualify will be 11 wins and 13 losses.

Any team qualifying for the Finals by losing more than half of their games does not deserve to be there. But then any team qualifying with a 50/50 record also don't really deserve to be there.

The NRL knows that it should be the old system of the top 5 teams qualifying. In reality, these are the only teams that deserve to be there because they have obviously CONSISTENTLY beaten the opposition.

But they don't do this, and we all know why . . .

The profit motive is a blight on sport. But then again, what can we do when these organisations need to make money?

It's a rather unpleasant conundrum affecting the great game of rugby league.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
But as you said DRAGONZ, it's about the money, and everyone wants their team to be in the finals, whether they make it in 8th spot or 1st spot (Of course, that will change the expectations of the team...). But I do agree that the finals series should be the top 4 or 5 teams. But i am damn happy we made the finals again, eventhough I expect a thrashing the 1st week :D

davo_

good kid
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Any competition where more than half the teams can qualify for a Finals' series is a joke.

We have teams who have lost more games than they have won qualifying for the "prestigious" Finals . . . (see Raiders 2004).

If the Sea Eagles qualify this season, it will be on 12 wins and 12 losses. Any team below them that may or may not qualify will be 11 wins and 13 losses.

Any team qualifying for the Finals by losing more than half of their games does not deserve to be there. But then any team qualifying with a 50/50 record also don't really deserve to be there.

The NRL knows that it should be the old system of the top 5 teams qualifying. In reality, these are the only teams that deserve to be there because they have obviously CONSISTENTLY beaten the opposition.

But they don't do this, and we all know why . . .

The profit motive is a blight on sport. But then again, what can we do when these organisations need to make money?

Very valid point, but to be honest the NRL has won me over... I sorta like the fact that you can play moderately well during the season (like you say) and still make the finals... everyone loves an upset - think Cowboys last year. Finals footy is a different type of football- and it really shows a team's make- and so really by cutting down the eight you might be cutting out the premiers...

*mel*

DRAGONZ said:
Oh it's not that bad. If the teams in 6th, 7th and 8th places really don't deserve to be there, they will get eliminated in the first round of the finals. At least the top 4 teams are advantaged in some way... It's not completely unfair.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
**MeL**88 said:
Oh it's not that bad. If the teams in 6th, 7th and 8th places really don't deserve to be there, they will get eliminated in the first round of the finals. At least the top 4 teams are advantaged in some way... It's not completely unfair.
If they have a top 8 Finals' series, then we HAVE TO use the AFL's system. This way, two of the bottom four teams HAVE to be knocked out in the first week.

I think it's unfair on teams who have played solidly pretty much all year and occupy positions in the top 4 can have a couple of weeks where they are in poor form and they get kicked out straight away when teams finishing 6, 7, or 8 merely need to string three or four good games together and they've won a premiership, when for the first 6 and a half months of the season they didn't deserve it.

Obviously having a team low on the table making a charge towards the grand final generates excitement and the 'underdog' status that has become much loved in Australia. Also, a team's supporters love watching as they come from the seemingly impossible to almost win (I speak from experience with the Dragons, who seem to finish in the lower half of the eight most seasons). And sure, if a team can beat all the best teams in the month that matters, then good on them. But I can hardly see how they truly deserve the Premiership when teams above them have consistently been the best all season.

I dunno ... in the end, I'd prefer a top 5 Finals' series, but if there was to be an 8 team one, then the AFL system should be employed.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Hahaha, I agree with that Bookie, but I do see his point. But as I have said, I like the way it is now, but I also would like to see them try the AFL method too.

*mel*

DRAGONZ said:
I dunno ... in the end, I'd prefer a top 5 Finals' series, but if there was to be an 8 team one, then the AFL system should be employed.
How exactly does the AFL system work?

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
**MeL**88 said:
How exactly does the AFL system work?
Off the top of my head, might not be exactly right

First week:

Team 2 v Team 3 (winner gets week off)
Team 5 v Team 8 (loser eliminated)
Team 6 v Team 7 (loser eliminated)
Team 1 v Team 4 (winner gets week off)

so assuming the higher ranked teams win

Teams 7 & 8 are eliminated and Teams 1 & 2 have a week off

Second week:

Team 4 v Team 5 (loser eliminated)
Team 3 v Team 6 (lose eliminated)

again assuming higher ranked teams win

Teams 5 & 6 are eliminated and Teams 3 & 4 play Teams 1 & 2 in the preliminary finals

Week 3:

Team 2 v Team 4 ( winner goes to GF)
Team 1 v Team 3 (winner goes to GF)

again assuming higher ranked teams win, the GF will be between Team 1 and Team 2

*mel*

Suney_J said:
Off the top of my head, might not be exactly right

First week:

Team 2 v Team 3 (winner gets week off)
Team 5 v Team 8 (loser eliminated)
Team 6 v Team 7 (loser eliminated)
Team 1 v Team 4 (winner gets week off)

so assuming the higher ranked teams win

Teams 7 & 8 are eliminated and Teams 1 & 2 have a week off

Second week:

Team 4 v Team 5 (loser eliminated)
Team 3 v Team 6 (lose eliminated)

again assuming higher ranked teams win

Teams 5 & 6 are eliminated and Teams 3 & 4 play Teams 1 & 2 in the preliminary finals

Week 3:

Team 2 v Team 4 ( winner goes to GF)
Team 1 v Team 3 (winner goes to GF)

again assuming higher ranked teams win, the GF will be between Team 1 and Team 2
That sounds HEAPS better than our stupid system! Wow... AFL can actually be good for something. That way, if the bottom teams have any chance of making the Grand Final, they really have to work for it.
Ohhhh well I'm just hoping Roosters can make the top 8. Manly had better lose on Saturday :(

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
did any one see the results of the fan survey?

roosters are the most hated team and ricky stuart the most hated coach

and they only have 7% of fan support behind dragons, eels, tigers, rabbitohs and bulldogs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)