do you believe in god?

• Total voters

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Zayd said:
SashatheMan said:
the whole argument should be why the hell would you even support cutting of hands. Its barberic and centuries outdated.

Ok genious.............any law that you know of that will put an end to:
- rape
- murder
- robbery
- poverty
- suicidals???

and the list goes on........

has cuttings hands put a stop to those things? i dont think it has genius.
if anything, having yuor hands cut of incourages suicide. You are basicly so restricted to doing anything, you are dependent on others.

cutting hands can limit rape, murder and robbery but so can many other things. And i dont tihnk choosing sometihng barberic like that is a better option then , less civilized methods, ie jailtime, or community service for petty theft.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
and like NTB said, compare something Australia to one of the middle east coutnries and tell me whos got more crime rate.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Arr I would worry about saying 'crime rate' because I think you'd find they actually do have lower reported rates of crime... of course the crimes of the state are never included ;)

Zayd

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Zayd said:
ur_inner_child said:
You're a barbarous little brainwashed trollop, you know that. Doesn't the Koran teach you to not be violent towards those that have been violent to you?

Cutting off someone's hand for thievery... yeah that's justifiable. That's wholly justifiable. Hanging a 16 year old girl for defending herself against a racist, again, justifiable.

Stoning a woman to death for ADULTERY! Fucking hell...

Bunch of savages. Absolute savages. I say we get together a good group of old fashioned 19th century british colonialists and give these savages what what.
Where does the Quran say that? the Quran says don't start the violence, but if your Religion or land is under attack, you fight for justice. So please make sure for next time, your statements have some authentic backing.

In my previous post i asked you a simple question....what would you do to him?

And regarding a women being stoned to death for adultery.....the law only applies to men who commit rape. A man or woman committing adultury is optional, they are not forced to be stoned, it's entirely upto them. But it is guaranteed that you are forgiven if you die from the torments of the stones.

About your last statement......what ever you have done or can do.......Islam is still the fastest gorwing religion in the world....why, because these laws make sense to people who want to make sense out of them and are "universal". They don't make sense to short-minded people who don't think of the long term results these laws can achieve..

davin

HSC
N/A
what would i do if someone in front of me had stolen something from me? have him imprisoned for a period of time, with a little bit of leinency if he'd return the stolen goods, but at some point have him get out. possibly have some sort of labour he had to do while imprisoned such that he's not overall now just a burden to society

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Zayd said:
Schroedinger said:
Zayd said:
Where does the Quran say that? the Quran says don't start the violence, but if your Religion or land is under attack, you fight for justice. So please make sure for next time, your statements have some authentic backing.

In my previous post i asked you a simple question....what would you do to him?

And regarding a women being stoned to death for adultery.....the law only applies to men who commit rape. A man or woman committing adultury is optional, they are not forced to be stoned, it's entirely upto them. But it is guaranteed that you are forgiven if you die from the torments of the stones.

About your last statement......what ever you have done or can do.......Islam is still the fastest gorwing religion in the world....why, because these laws make sense to people who want to make sense out of them and are "universal". They don't make sense to short-minded people who don't think of the long term results these laws can achieve..
I did not write that post, Zayd.

When you want to quote someone, there is a button on the bottom left of their post, called "QUOTE" that will do the tag lines for you.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Zayd said:
Rather than universal, I would say that they are time-locked, regressive and escapist. As for the long term results that such 'laws' would produce... If you're a fan of medieval justice and its social consequences, then I guess that these laws would be a good idea. However, I'm glad that many of us 'short-sighted' people are actually open to and in favour progressive notions of justice and the law as opposed to notions that are no longer of any use (if they ever were).

Zayd

HSC
davin said:
what would i do if someone in front of me had stolen something from me? have him imprisoned for a period of time, with a little bit of leinency if he'd return the stolen goods, but at some point have him get out. possibly have some sort of labour he had to do while imprisoned such that he's not overall now just a burden to society
Him prisoned for a period of time! does that assure he won't attemp robbery again? and how about the thefts his gotton away with previously. How can you guarantee it will stop him from doing so, once he's out of gaol. A person who has made roobery a practise, and has gotton away with it....god knows how many times, but once he gets caught........then comes out of gaol lets say after 1 year, will mostly like do the same thing over and over again. He's been getting away with it so many times, what are the chances of getting caught this time? and he knows if he is caught, he will spend sometime in goal, and then he's out again.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I see, Zayd that you've learnt how to quote people now.

I would also appreciate it, Zayd, if you could please fix that misquote.

Last edited:

Zayd

HSC
Generator said:
Rather than universal, I would say that they are time-locked, regressive and escapist. As for the long term results that such 'laws' would produce... If you're a fan of medieval justice and its social consequences, then I guess that these laws would be a good idea. However, I'm glad that many of us 'short-sighted' people are actually open to and in favour progressive notions of justice and the law as opposed to notions that are no longer of any use (if they ever were).
look back to history........during the times of the ottoman empire.......when these laws were applied........and then get back to me with some robbery, rape, etc stats.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Zayd said:
look back to history........during the times of the ottoman empire.......when these laws were applied........and then get back to me with some robbery, rape, etc stats.
"Look back" is the key phrase there - why should we look back to laws that were used in a particular social context at a particular point in time when both the times and the circumstances are in no way comparable? Yes, it's always good to be mindful of the past and to not just discount the past for the simple fact that it is the past, but your suggestions are in no way practical or even theoretically sensible.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Generator said:
"Look back" is the key phrase there - why should we look back to laws that were used in a particular social context at a particular point in time when both the times and the circumstances are in no way comparable? Yes, it's always good to be mindful of the past and to not just discount the past for the simple fact that it is the past, but your suggestions are in no way practical or even theoretically sensible.
a robber is will always be robber regardless of social context. he might steal somethin different, but in the end he did steal. but its funny, how high the crime rates are democratic countries.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
a robber is will always be robber regardless of social context. he might steal somethin different, but in the end he did steal. but its funny, how high the crime rates are democratic countries.
Ok lets include crimes of the state (i.e. cutting off peoples hands) and we'll see which nation actually has more crime being comitted. Considering that in most of the muslim theocracies it is illegal to have another faith or to not believe in god, i imagine there's actually quite a few people comitting crimes... and if it's based on the koran then i imagine there are alot of people not doing what god told them to do ;)

Generator

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
What's funny is that democratic countries freely publish crime statistics, no matter how poor they may be. Can we say the same about other more authoritarian forms of government?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Generator said:
What's funny is that democratic countries freely publish crime statistics, no matter how poor they may be. Can we say the same about other more authoritarian forms of government?
funnily the same democratic countries, poor out statistics that offer little meaning. If you are gonna release some stats, make sure they have some value. Now, what i am saying is that democratic nations need to toughen up their laws. --singapore is tough

Generator

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
funnily the same democratic countries, poor out statistics that offer little meaning. If you are gonna release some stats, make sure they have some value. Now, what i am saying is that democratic nations need to toughen up their laws. --singapore is tough
All stats are meaningless till someone provides an interpretation for what is on offer - the fact that democratic countries largely let people make such interpretations counts for quite a bit as far as I'm (and most other people) are concerned.

As for the notion of tough laws... Western laws are tough, it's just that such justice systems tend to take note of mitigating factors and the value of rehabilitation.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Generator said:
All stats are meaningless till someone provides an interpretation for what is on offer - the fact that democratic countries largely let people make such interpretations counts for quite a bit as far as I'm (and most other people) are concerned.

As for the notion of tough laws... Western laws are tough, it's just that such justice systems tend to take note of mitigating factors and the value of rehabilitation.
true rehab has some value, and is worth investing in - would one consider rehab to be torture?

E-Racer-X

HSC
davin said:
matrixism is zorasterism, in effect
the latter movies lean a bit towards some christian elements, but by in large, its pretty much already a religion.
Jedi is at least a mix of eastern thought not as directly lifted from one particular belief, though does have some...Taoism, i believe
I believe the Matrixism that they were talking about is the one at http://www.geocities.com/matrixism2069

The religion and its website turn up in "The Joy of Sects" by Sam Jordison among other places.

Matrixism is way cooler than Jediism. In fact I think Jediism might even be defunct.

I especially like the holidays Matrixism offers. From the Matrixism FAQ:

"[SIZE=+1] Q: Are there any holy days associated with Matrixism? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] A: The first official holiday of Matrixism is Bicycle Day. It falls on April 19th the anniversary of Albert Hoffman's historic experiment with LSD and consequent bicycle ride which took place in 1943. This is a day of celebration in the matrixist community marked by the giving of gifts, bicycle trips, joyful picnics, and other festive activities. Also the anniversary of Aldous Huxley's, C.S. Lewis' and John F. Kennedy's passing (all the same day in 1963) is observed on November 22nd as a day of Remembrance and Reflection. On this day, as well as on Bicycle Day, all work activities are suspended as Matrixists around the world celebrate, remember and reflect."

:santa:
[/SIZE]

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Can you prove that one plus one is two? I heard someone has proved it with complex proof, dunno where to find it though. If one plus one is not two, everything else will fail.

davin

HSC
N/A
well, you can't, though. 1 + 1 = 10 if we're in binary. So the simple statement of 1 + 1 is 2.
There have been studies that show it is more or less ingrained in us to identify between the ideas of 1, 2, and many, and shortly after, to be able to add or subtract up to 3.
But generally speaking, math is a human created construct to help us deal with the real world, and it works fine, but its not like 1 + 1 is a physical element, in its own right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)