FUTURE STUDENTS of 08 (2 Viewers)

unco_wannabe

HSC
yeh if anything come for the fun of it..the movin away from home aspect..the 'living on less than 50 bux to spend' thing :p
its like a camp everyday..+ study here an there (haha depending on how hard u wanna try)

but dont let people here decide ...think hard and stuff u know..if u can handle the homesickness and all those other things..its a big step...but hey we are all in the same boat..except for those who live in canberra *damn u*

cya
hope to see you all ! soon :)

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I am here! said:
Actually, on the "find out next week if I'm a PhB (Arts) student" bit - is that straight from the horse's mouth?

It's just that I'm waiting for the same thing! /anxious
yeah, I rang them after results and they said that they'll decide the week starting January 7th, so I'm expecting to hear sometime next week (though I suppose it could be a bit later *gulp*)

As for scholarships at playing a big factor in my decisions... I'm not sure which I'd prefer out of Arts/Law at ANU or Arts at Melbourne (though my first preference remains the PhB), I'm not even sure if Law is for me but I know I'll most likely have the opportunity to study a JD later if that's what I decided I wanted. So money in that instance is the decider. Also, at ANU I've never seen the colleges, all I have to go by are the websites and BoS and each college seems pretty much the same to me apart from the catered/self-catered thing. I know finances aren't really a good reason to base lifelong decisions on, but I plan on being at uni for a very long time, so I really don't want to rack up too much debt either - especially when I'm really confused as to what I want in the first place.

And living in Melbourne is virtually free for me apart from a few little expenses, given that I'd be staying at home for at least another year. Accommodation is really the biggest expense associated with moving.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Eriny said:
yeah, I rang them after results and they said that they'll decide the week starting January 7th, so I'm expecting to hear sometime next week (though I suppose it could be a bit later *gulp*)

As for scholarships at playing a big factor in my decisions... I'm not sure which I'd prefer out of Arts/Law at ANU or Arts at Melbourne (though my first preference remains the PhB), I'm not even sure if Law is for me but I know I'll most likely have the opportunity to study a JD later if that's what I decided I wanted. So money in that instance is the decider. Also, at ANU I've never seen the colleges, all I have to go by are the websites and BoS and each college seems pretty much the same to me apart from the catered/self-catered thing. I know finances aren't really a good reason to base lifelong decisions on, but I plan on being at uni for a very long time, so I really don't want to rack up too much debt either - especially when I'm really confused as to what I want in the first place.

And living in Melbourne is virtually free for me apart from a few little expenses, given that I'd be staying at home for at least another year. Accommodation is really the biggest expense associated with moving.
Are your parents willing / able to support you? Are you eligible for YA / RA?

If you have the above two on board, I imagine you should be set for cash - perhaps with a bit of part time work here and there for 'pocket money'.

Of course the S/S is wonderful but if it won't affect your university life significantly (or will it? - I mean, what, a prettier bike, a few more films ra ra ra) go with your heart, sister.

I haven't seen the colleges either, but I'm sure they can't be too different from each other / any other college in the fricking world, really.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Heart.O.Gold said:
hey,

i'm definately going down to ANU, doing BA IT/ECON...i hope some other people post that they are doing either IT or ECON.

Wo0ot go ANU for the people who didn't quite get as high UAI as they were expecting ! ! !

errr... no not really.

Anyway hope you all come to O-week :)

unco_wannabe

HSC
O-week sweet

oh by the way would anyone know when the 'open day' for ANU is? i mean syd had theirs today...but i looked on the site at ANU..and it said ..august :S

any ideas?

cheers

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I am here! said:
Are your parents willing / able to support you? Are you eligible for YA / RA?

If you have the above two on board, I imagine you should be set for cash - perhaps with a bit of part time work here and there for 'pocket money'.

Of course the S/S is wonderful but if it won't affect your university life significantly (or will it? - I mean, what, a prettier bike, a few more films ra ra ra) go with your heart, sister.

I haven't seen the colleges either, but I'm sure they can't be too different from each other / any other college in the fricking world, really.
My parents can support me to some extent, but they said that I'll have to pay for my own living expenses, some accommodation and HECS. They'll probably at least contribute some money to books also. I don't qualify for YA or anything because my parents technically earn above the threshold (despite having a huge mortgage + two other kids to take care of) and I don't qualify as an 'independent'.

Thanks for the advice, I intend to go with my heart, but my heart is rather fickle. I'd like to see what life is like with some independence, at great a uni away from home but I do love Melbourne too, so yeah... I'm not really comitted to anything at this stage. If it's between Arts and Arts/Law (which seems likely but I hope it isn't because I want the PhB), I'll just weigh up the pros and cons (and money IS definitely going to be a factor). At the moment, it's too hypothetical for me to really want to worry about :)

bikapika

HSC
well its all your decision : )

melbourne is beautiful i went to its open day i swear i will go there if i can afford to live in its gorgerz but expensive residential colleges lol

UchihaVegeta

HSC
Hi all, I'm planning to do actuarial/law there. Just had my campus tour today, deciding between Ursula and Bruce......

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Eriny said:
My parents can support me to some extent, but they said that I'll have to pay for my own living expenses, some accommodation and HECS. They'll probably at least contribute some money to books also. I don't qualify for YA or anything because my parents technically earn above the threshold (despite having a huge mortgage + two other kids to take care of) and I don't qualify as an 'independent'.

Thanks for the advice, I intend to go with my heart, but my heart is rather fickle. I'd like to see what life is like with some independence, at great a uni away from home but I do love Melbourne too, so yeah... I'm not really comitted to anything at this stage. If it's between Arts and Arts/Law (which seems likely but I hope it isn't because I want the PhB), I'll just weigh up the pros and cons (and money IS definitely going to be a factor). At the moment, it's too hypothetical for me to really want to worry about :)
Not to get you too tangled up BUT, from what I've heard, entry into PhB tends to = a PhB S/S (to the tune of $5k p.a. cash) - all I can say is 'good luck'!

I was very much in the same scenario as you last year re: YA - it is shocking how none of the tests account for the disposable income of the family: after all, it isn't exactly fair to assume that families will decide to downsize their house in order to free up dosh to fund their children's education. I ended up having to prove my 'independence' by earning the $18k (or whatever), which was a terrible waste of time - I understand you don't want to set yourself back a year just for that!

I do hope you get into the PhB, but really a BA (w/ a S/S to boot) at UMelb is one hell of a Plan B!

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Just a quick Q for everyone: was / is ANU your first preference?

It is mine!

unco_wannabe

HSC
UchihaVegeta said:
Hi all, I'm planning to do actuarial/law there. Just had my campus tour today, deciding between Ursula and Bruce......
gday Vegeta..acturial law nice...hopefully ill see you around.

cheers

bikapika

HSC
I am here! said:
Just a quick Q for everyone: was / is ANU your first preference?

It is mine!
melbourne and anu were/are my first choices : )

unco_wannabe

HSC
what do we do for O week? i mean..do we stay there ?
does the uni provide some kind of accom? or like...do we sleep in libraries? under stairwells? cloak rooms ...hehe.....any idea anyone/?

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
unco_wannabe said:
does the uni provide some kind of accom? or like...do we sleep in libraries? under stairwells? cloak rooms ...hehe.....any idea anyone/?
the 24-hour computer labs are always a good bet.

Evilo

HSC
bikapika said:
i like people.
lol, Thats always good to hear, at least you'll fit into a hall well :)

unco_wannabe said:
If you have applied for accomodation (you already should have), you will be told to move in sometime before(or the start of) o-week. Your hall will have activites planned, which will include enrolment of subjects.

unco_wannabe said:
just to make people who are takin the big step feel easier and minmise the 'homesickness' stuff!
Oh good idea. Just mentioning to everyone, it probably won't really affect you. Everyone usually settles in pretty well. You end up having so much fun (especially during o-week) that you forget about the face you're away from home.

Heart.O.Gold said:
Wo0ot go ANU for the people who didn't quite get as high UAI as they were expecting ! ! !
I hope you don't look at anu like a second chance draw. *glares*

Welcome all... to the ANU :D

unco_wannabe

HSC
lol
ohh sweet cool then yeh i already applied...im from syd so apparently im 'guaranteed' a room.

lol 'i like people' too :)

Evilo

HSC
unco_wannabe said:
lol
ohh sweet cool then yeh i already applied...im from syd so apparently im 'guaranteed' a room.
Correct, sydneysider (like myself), applied (for accomodation) on time, have an acaedemic offer. All sounds in order - you'll get a room :)

unco_wannabe said:
lol 'i like people' too :)
:) well it looks like we are one big happy family lol
I've just got some information about o-week, ill post asap for you guys.

Evilo

HSC
Keep in mind most halls and colleges will also organise their own events too (they may take a few events from here, have their own internal ones etc). I thought id mention this as something to look forward to. I think most (if not all) of the halls will go to the burgmann toga party, so pack a crappy bed sheet lol.
Cheers all
Evil-O
O-week organisers said:
The ANU Students' Association welcomes you to

O-Week 08: Born in the 80s!

MONDAY 18 FEBRUARY - FRIDAY 22 FEBRUARY

For those who have not yet been properly introduced to university life, O-Week (otherwise known as Orientation Week) is your introduction to ANU, Canberra and university life! For everyone else, it’s simply one of the best excuses to PARTAY! ANUSA has planned an amazing week of events for 2008; the likes of which has not been seen since the infamous O-Week of '89. So get involved in what will we an O-Week to remember!

2008 is the last year where ANU's first years will be born in the 1980s. And this is why our theme for 08 will be 'Born in the 80s!' Be prepared for bright and tight, retro fit, rubix cube, shoulder padded nights in the Nations Capital come February. A lot of the O-Week events are free, so live it up- but some of the bigger nights require tickets. So make sure you're at the O-Week Launch on Monday the 18th of February in Union Court because tickets sell out fast! Keep in mind that O-Week is your best opportunity to meet new people and make new friends; so get involved!

Check out the program below or on our website sa.anu.edu.au: This is a week that can not be missed!
O-week organisers said:
------Monday 18th February:

-9.00am – 4pm: ANUSA O-Week Launch (Union Court)
-4.30pm - 6.00pm: ANUSA Office Warming Party (ANUSA Office)
-7pm – Late: Bright & Tight Big Night Out (Starts at ANU Bar)

------Tuesday 19th February:

-11am - 2pm: Carni Day! (Fellows Oval)
-6.30 - 8pm: Politics in the Pub (ANU Bar)
-8.30pm – Late: Rubix Cube Party, Run by the ANU Snowsports Club (Venue TBA)

------Wednesday 20th February:

-10am – 4pm: Market Day (Union Court, University Avenue)
-6.30pm – 8.30: Pre Toga Party (Venue TBA)
-8.30pm – Late: Annual Toga Party (Burgmann College)

------Thursday 21st February:

-9.30am – 11.00am: Recovery Breakfast (Venue TBA)
-11am - 1pm: Speed Dating (Venue TBA)
-1pm – 5pm: Fluro Fun Beer Garden (ANU Bar Beer Garden)
-2.30pm – 3.30pm: Jazzy Happy Hour (Music School Piazza)
-7.00pm – Late: ANU Band Night (ANU Refecory)

------Friday 22nd February:

-10.00am – 11.30am: 2008 Retro Run (Starts at Union Court)
-11.30am – 1pm: Recovery Breakfast (Venue TBA)
-1.30pm – 3pm: ANUSA Womens’ Department Barefoot Bowls (Braddon Bowls Club)
-7pm – 12am: Mooseheads ANU Ball (ANU Refectory)
-12am – Late: ANU Ball After-Party (Mooseheads)

So there you have it kids. Get involved in O-Week 08, because there may never be one like it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)