• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

passion89

HSC
I can't believe
snape kills dumbledore :(
I was so emotional about that but to tell you the truth, I was a little disappointed with this book (though I did find it better than order of the phoenix)

passion89

HSC
karoooh said:
Who can't love Alan Rickman?

I also love that he's been in lots of other movies with Emma Thompson, as well as the 3rd HP movie!

He definately rox my sox.
I definately agree!

He's got some sort of sexual appeal going lmao not that I go for over 50 year olds...

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Alan Rickman is awesome in Galaxy quest as the Spock-like character. And that movie has Rainn Wilson from the US Office version. :D Good movie that, must watch it again.

funkless

HSC
N/A
My review of the book...

Loved the Tom Riddle bits the best. I'm slightly bias because I do like the character and I was totally thrilled to learn quite a section of the book was devoted to him. It was great fleshing out the man behind the name.

I didn't like the romance. Sometimes I got fustrated and got irritated with Harry, he should be deciphering these memories not chasing Ginny! He seemed to leave all the work to Dumbledore, and now Big D is dead, what's Harry going to do? Probably go crying to Hermione like he always does. Well, I like Harry but sometimes he just annoys me. Oddly enough he actually amused me when he chucked temper tantrums in Book 5. I was like "Woah. Totally unexpected, he was always such a nice, quiet boy...wtf?" and then I just enjoyed those moments.

I suppose the romance was required. Kinda like a necessary evil. They are teens after all, and I suppose we gotta give poor old Harry some sort of romance before he faces probable death by Voldemort in the next book.

About Snape. I think he is good. I have a strong feeling he is, I just don't believe he's gone bad. For me, it's a matter of faith in the character. Not actual digging around for proof. I'll be disappointed if he has gone bad though, the Snape character will be just BLEH if that happens, all that lead up...for what? To die, or spend the rest of his life as a fugitive or hanging around in Azkaban.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hmmmmmmmmmmm...
interesting stuff on R.A.B!!

The Dutch, Norwegian, and Finnish translations of the book have been published. In the Dutch translation, the surname Black is translated as Zwarts and, as previously noted, the abbreviation in the note to Voldemort is R.A.Z. rather than R.A.B.. Likewise, in the Norwegian text, the name Black is translated as Svaart and the note is signed R.A.S.. The Finnish text uses the name Musta, with the note signed R.A.M. The fact that the translation of the name Regulus Black and the initials R.A.B. are consistent across various language editions gives fair support to Regulus Black that other known characters do not have. However, the translations themselves could have come about coincidentally, or the translators may have switched both the name and the initials based on their own assumption that R.A.B is Regulus Black. Therefore, the mere observation that the translations appear to support the Regulus Black as R.A.B. theory, does not necessarily provide conclusive proof of the matter.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...d=2222&dekey=R.A.B.&sbid=lc07b&linktext=R.A.B

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i think it is very likely that rowling will use a character that she has already supplied a background to. I mean, she has so much to put into the next book it is likely she wont want to waste time introducing a new character just for the sake of it.

i think it's regulus black.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Did anyone see that interview Rowling did this week regarding book 7? She suggested that she might kill Harry to avoid any sequels being made after she’s finished. She also stated that two main characters are now going to be killed, while another has been given a reprieve. Apparently she’s more than half way through the writing of it, but no title has been announced yet.

Cpt obvious

HSC
I like the Harry Potter books but i hate Harry Potter so hopefully he dies in the first chapter to make the book interesting

*Lozzie*

HSC
Just a thought what if R.A.B turned out to be the new defense teacher. This could also lead to a new father figure for harry with Sirius and Dumbledore gone.
Love the Harry/Ginny relationship. I've been waiting for them to get together since CoS. Also i cant wait til ron and hermonie get together
Is it only me that thinks that there is something more to the LV/Lilly thing than just her trying to protect harry?? He's en evil killer he had no problem killing James yet he didn't want to kill Lilly. Why??? Soooooo confused!!!!

Last edited:

shadowfia

HSC
R.A.B. still alive? that would be a bit difficult. He/she had to be a Death Eater (the note said 'Dark Lord'). A lot of people believe it to be Regulus Black, personally I agree, really wonder what is his middle name.

Harry/Ginny is really obvious, but Hermione/Ron is just wrong! Sorry but their intellectual level is not in the same standard!

You can think I am weird, althoug I know it is not going to happen in the book, but I am SSHG shipper. Wonder how many people in this site supports the Severus-is-still-on-the-Light-Side theory?

Rinni

HSC
I agree and disagree. I don't disagree that it could be Regulus however from what we are told he seems/seemed a little dim. That makes it hard to believe that he was capabe to find and destroy a horcrux. But you never know. The only reason i thought that R.A.B could be the new Defense teacher is because it would be far easier to introduce one new character than two in the last book. But I'm most probably wrong:)

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Rinni said:
I agree and disagree. I don't disagree that it could be Regulus however from what we are told he seems/seemed a little dim. That makes it hard to believe that he was capabe to find and destroy a horcrux. But you never know. The only reason i thought that R.A.B could be the new Defense teacher is because it would be far easier to introduce one new character than two in the last book. But I'm most probably wrong:)
Yeah, it hasnt been definitively proven that RAB is Regulus Black, but it seems pretty certain that its a Black (from translations of HP, the final initial always corresponds to the first letter of Black in that language, i.e. in Germany its RAS (s for schwarzes)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I hope hermonie doesnt die - fav character. She probably shouldnt hook up with any1 either because they are all below her... except maybe malfoy. If i have to pick 2 people to die it will be ron + ginny, or Harry+ Ginny.
Dating your best mans girl is not cool, so that shit needs to be split up.
ron wouldnt be worried about it if he was dead, but then i would have to pick another big character to die, and hermonie is 2 cool to die...maybe dumbledore ends up being not dead, and then dies for real that would be cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)