Hours spent studying Maths Extension 2 (1 Viewer)

calamebe

HSC
I think with maths no matter what level you are, you always want to 'improve'. I don't think you can ever honestly say 'I know everything in maths'. I think I gained a greater appreciation of maths by redoing more and more questions. I've been called 'weird' by people in the past, in that maybe I put my study ahead of my social life, family but it's just in my blood. I do questions, test papers, text books of all sorts and I actually live for maths, breathe for maths and it might not be a great level compared to other people, you can get called 'strange' or 'geniuses' by people who think you have an addiction to something.
Yeah, but generally by year 12, if you're doing 4 Unit you should know everything in year 9, or at least 99% of it.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Yeah, but generally by year 12, if you're doing 4 Unit you should know everything in year 9, or at least 99% of it.
At the moment based on those tests, you have to say that I don't. I keep getting 29/32, 30/32 , 31/32, which indicates some of my basics aren't there. I didn't do NAPLAN in my day, so I guess for me, from my perspective I have to keep working harder in order to get better.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I take back my comment. I place more value towards my family, friends and social life. I think its the Australian way of life. I am of the belief though in life you should : 'work, rest and play.'

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
A British doctor once said to me "all work no play makes Jack a dull boy." If you enjoy your life, it makes you a better person, a smarter person. I grew up with tyrannical parents (especially on the mother side) and I guess its been hard to get out of that motto through my life but I can see times where I got burnt out and I didn't realise it.

Drsoccerball

HSC
No that as well. You make one mistake in a test and you write a life story about it like just fix your mistake you don't have to tell everyone you derailed the 3u marathon by doing this.

taco_26

HSC
I'm topping 3u and 4u math in a top 20 school.

To get there, I've done approximately 610 hours of math since the beginning of year 11 (this is just tutoring + my own work- most of which was during class though)- hope it all pays off soon!

It's also important to note that you shouldn't neglect the rest of your subjects (as many have said above). My life in year 11 consisted of 60% math and 40% geography (since I was accelerating), so I was pretty close to last in everything else, but aceing math and geography. As a result, I had to do a lot of catchup study and learn all the 'fundamentals' of the prelim course at the beginning of year 12, which was annoying- so don't do what I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)