HSC for sale :( (1 Viewer)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
An example... a while ago on their newsletter to schools or some such thing, on the front page they had a headline:

WARNING!

We would like to warn students about the site "www.boredofstudies.org" - it may not be reliable and may contain false information. We advise that it is not safe to rely on anything in the site, etc etc

Something like that
Oh ok. Well that seems rather silly. It's giving publicity for the site and it would make students curious about the info on the website.

But i guess they probably had to issue that warning in case students complained to teachers or the Board of Studies about their mark.

Suga_baibe

HSC
Poor little rich kids

My friend once told me, that her parents theory is that, when it goes to education money isnt an issue. This same friend has her tutor write all her english essays for her. And since she does 4 units of english, thats alot of work she isnt doing. Her tutor today appeared in the Syndey Morning Herald, for being busted for writing essays for her pupils. The really sad thing is that, no one has the power to stop her tutoring, because she isnt part of any organisation. To this day, my friend still gets all her essays written by her tutor.
She boasted to me once, that she will paste sentances or whole paragraphs from websites and other peoples work, put a little not for her tutor saying "PLAGERISED!! Please change." This upsets me on so many levels, because, Im not paying anyone hundards of dollars, and I have to write all my essays from scratch. I can't report my friend to my english teacher, because that isnt what a friend is for.
I just hope, that when we "grow up" I'll have a higher salary than her, so at least in the long run, I come out on top for doing things the right way.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...yed-by-daughter/2005/06/21/1119321738100.html
HSC scandal teacher betrayed by daughter
By Justin Norrie and Harriet Alexander
June 22, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
The coaching college boss who allegedly wrote HSC assignments for cash was reported to the NSW Board of Studies by her own daughter.

Daniella Gardener, 28, is in a bitter feud with her mother, 53-year-old Rachel Gardener - to the point that she says they have taken out apprehended violence orders against each other.

Yesterday they exchanged a barrage of claims and counter-claims. Daniella, who worked for her mother as a tutor at Acclaim Education in Homebush West for almost two years, alleged her mother may have helped as many as 2000 students cheat the system.

She told the Herald yesterday that she decided to reveal the alleged systematic corruption at the college after her mother sacked her last October. Rachel Gardener labelled the cheating accusations as "a vendetta, all lies" and said she had disowned her "drug-abuser" daughter. Now their bitter fight has reached the Board of Studies, which is investigating the legitimacy of HSC results for 261 former students who were coached at Acclaim.

Before creating Acclaim in 2003, Rachel Gardener ran another tutoring service, At Rachel's, for four years and had tutored from home since the 1980s, her daughter said. For the past eight years she had taught English at Homebush Boys High School, but this year took unpaid leave.

"My calculations are she could have been writing essays for 1500 to 2000 students over 15 to 17 years. When I was at school she was training me to be a tutor and to write essays."

Her mother firmly denied these allegations and said "you might want to think about why [Daniella's] saying these things".

The daughter said Acclaim had a team of about 40 tutors, with at least four Homebush Boys High teachers, who coached between 120 and 250 students a week in demountables in her mother's garden. Some of the 40 tutors had written assignments for money.

Students often came from elite schools, such as Sydney Grammar and Pymble Ladies College, and entered "prestigious universities".

But Rachel Gardener said her daughter's "lies and smears have ruined the lives of 300 students … we are rigorous about ethics, we teach life skills, and we certainly never overstep the line between teaching students and … cheating … I feel like I've lost a daughter … I know I'll certainly never talk to this person again in my life. This is a vendetta, all lies."

Daniella Gardener said her mother had reported her to police four times this year: for break and enter, malicious damage, assault and theft. In all cases, police had opted not to press charges. A confessed former heroin user, she said she quit five years ago when she became pregnant. She now wants to reclaim her daughter, who has been in her mother's care.

The Board of Studies says HSC students found to have cheated will be stripped of the qualification, leaving their university positions in doubt. The University of Western Sydney, where some Acclaim clients are said to be studying, warned that a fraudulently gained qualification could lead to suspension or expulsion.

Rachel Gardener confirmed she had been jailed for eight months in Paris for bank robberies in the late 1970s, but said she was "just walking along the street when I got caught up with some people I didn't know very well. As a result, I got done for something I had no part in."
I hope those cheating fucks get booted out of uni. :)

HSC
N/A
i don't think you can entirely blame it on the students who cheated, i would point my finger at the people providing the services.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
holla back girl said:
i don't think you can entirely blame it on the students who cheated, i would point my finger at the people providing the services.
They signed forms indicating that it was entirely their own work, they are every bit as responsible as the people providing the services.

funniboi

HSC
Suga_baibe said:
This upsets me on so many levels, because, Im not paying anyone hundards of dollars, and I have to write all my essays from scratch. I can't report my friend to my english teacher, because that isnt what a friend is for.
I just hope, that when we "grow up" I'll have a higher salary than her, so at least in the long run, I come out on top for doing things the right way.

thats a very positive way of thinking. good on ya.

but also, if you're friend has never really done an essay before, when your friend gets into uni, he/she wont make it very far, well atleast i hope not. because he/she wont always have someone there to do his/her work for him/her, and sooner or later, karma will catch up to him/her and he/she will get what he/she deserves. :D

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Arr it's important to tell people not to rely on SAM tho... It takes some thinking to understand how exactly it works and what the figures mean.

DA MAN

HSC
Cheating Throughtout Homebush Boys

I went to Homebush Boys High School last year and did my HSC there where I personally knew Rachael Gardener , I just want to say shes not the only teacher in that School that done it , there were plently. The allegations are true because I know friends who went 2 her last year an they are absloutly shitting there pants. But they paid for tutoring but just recieved a model answer where they were told 2 use in the exam . So personally I feel that students aren't 2 blame.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
The students, parents and the tutor/teacher are all to blame.

• The student is at fault for cheating.
  • The tutor/teacher is at fault for abusing the system (and the parents and students) for financial gain.
  • The parents are at fault for paying the fees and for forcing/allowing their child to take a unit beyond their abilities (I can think of no other reason to pay for such a service, and in saying that I'm assuming that no parent would fork out that much just so that a kid could cruise through the final year of school).

That is rather simplistic, but eh.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
I posted this in another forum too:

I know (rather knew) Rachel Gardner who is the boss of the place. I did Standard English and I got tutored at that tutoring center.

My tutor, another teacher, never did my essays. or assignments for me Infact sometimes I had to push her to mark my stuff . Going there was just more of a motivation thing, as in my school and teacher were crap so I needed some guidance. My tutor helped me outline what an essay should have and how many words for each part. She obviously marked it in the end.

Also, like there are people I know who copy right out of study guides. Study guide authors sell their books legitimately to earn money. Im sure there were people at my school who only included study guide and teacher's essays...that is also cheating.

I do think though, that the place was a rip off. $60 is too much! Most tutors charge way less than that.

I hope they dont drag in people who didnt do any wrong.

And many of you would question why I even spent so much money getting tutored? Its because I had been in Australia for 2 years when I started HSC (though I didnt get tutored until half way thru the HSC) and since I had learnt English before I was not allowed to do esl and I had to work my arse off to get a Band 5 in conditions where my teacher at school taught nothing and on top the head teacher supported her!! That is a disgrace too!

So dont just judge all students and teachers who went there!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)