Is Tafe For The Dumb (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Wtf is it that everytime someone says anything remotely non-egalitarian they have to get slammed into, despite the validity of their arguement?
Just because you're arrogant enough to agree with wendus' argument doesn't make it valid kiddo. ;)

- You can't criticise another religion, despite its theological flaws without being accused of 'theological imperialism'
Quit your bullshitting. You're just trying to defend a stupid claim by pulling out the generic "political correctness" line. Pro tip: that only works if the shit you are pushing is the ugly truth. Your shit, well, it's just uninformed elitist garbage - truth wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Show me an average Australian who calls criticism of religion "theological imperialism" and I'll punch them in the face. I don't fancy I'll be arrested for battery any time soon.

- I recently saw a member of this forum get accused of racism as he claimed to dislike international students because it frustrated him that he was forced to work with them for group assignments despite the fact they could barely speak or write english (a rather valid arguement)
What frustrates me is Asian kids and their silly unfounded preconceptions of intelligence and prestige. This isn't class-based China any more honey; you can give up your superiority act.

- Here a handful of people are getting criticised for badmouthing Tafe as 'dumb' - yes people go to tafe for alternate reasons but as I argued earlier the majority of people doing brick laying/plumbing would be doing so because academia is not where their talent lies (which primarily is an indicator of intelligence).
As I tried to point out to you earlier (but I get it - you don't want to listen), trades and such comprise only about half of TAFE students. You've then got a bunch of things like nursing, business, art, digital media and IT, which I reckon you'd certainly be hard-pressed to claim are 'subjects for the dim-witted proles'.

Secondly, you have no clue what you're talking about re intelligence. To start with, academia implies intelligence but intelligence doesn't imply academia. Nice use of the denying the antecedent there mate. Why don't you take a few courses in psychology or at least statistical inference or something before you open your mouth about sociological issues; heaven knows the last thing we need is another pretentious little upstart claiming to know the intricacies of societal dynamics.

Edit: Plus Wendus goes to North Sydney Girls, she's quite obviously intelligent.
Forgive me if I don't fall for argumentum ad verecundiam.

Last edited:

wendus

krawr.
HSC
there is no need for personal attack if you want to prove your point slidey. gtfo if all you want to do is refute other people's claims.

HSC
Slidey said:
As I tried to point out to you earlier (but I get it - you don't want to listen), trades and such comprise only about half of TAFE students. You've then got a bunch of things like nursing, business, art, digital media and IT, which I reckon you'd certainly be hard-pressed to claim are 'subjects for the dim-witted proles'.

Secondly, you have no clue what you're talking about re intelligence. To start with, academia implies intelligence but intelligence doesn't imply academia. Nice use of the denying the antecedent there mate. Why don't you take a few courses in psychology or at least statistical inference or something before you open your mouth about sociological issues; heaven knows the last thing we need is another pretentious little upstart claiming to know the intricacies of societal dynamics.

Forgive me if I don't fall for argumentum ad verecundiam.
Not once did I argue they were dim-witted proles, but the intellectual equals of lawyers, doctors, teachers, pilots and scientists? hardly.

There's clearly a connection between intelligence and academia because academia requires higher order thinking skills which tend to be dealt with better by intelligent people.

I have no interest in sociology, and its study certainly isn't needed to work out that those with a 90+ or even 80+ are a high calibre of student, and those students are certainly not as common in a tafe as they are in a university.

Matt Samson

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
There's clearly a connection between intelligence and academia because academia requires higher order thinking skills which tend to be dealt with better by intelligent people.
When you go to university, you'll realise how a majority of academics have very little common sense and find it hard to cope with reality outside the university office they sit in most of the day.

They're great with "models", but the world isn't a hypothetical "model".

I have no interest in sociology, and its study certainly isn't needed to work out that those with a 90+ or even 80+ are a high calibre of student, and those students are certainly not as common in a tafe as they are in a university.
Is that right?

Well, when you enroll in SOCIOLOGY 101, come back with that same "theory" or "model". You'll realise how wrong it is. Even the sociologists will tell you that.

Lets say a student with Asperger Syndrome gets a UAI of 60.00, does this mean they're of a "lower intelligence" than those students without Asperger Syndrome who gain a UAI of 90.00?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Not once did I argue they were dim-witted proles, but the intellectual equals of lawyers, doctors, teachers, pilots and scientists? hardly.

UAI isn't a measure of intelligence, not even close. This is the most arrogant bullshit out.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Graney said:
UAI isn't a measure of intelligence, not even close. This is the most arrogant bullshit out.
Nah it doesn't. It just measures how much of a geek you are. Anyone who gets 100 is obviously just a geek who has no life.

Edit - Slidey will probably tell you he's Chinese

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Slidey said:
What frustrates me is Asian kids and their silly unfounded preconceptions of intelligence and prestige. This isn't class-based China any more honey; you can give up your superiority act.
Haha your white superiority complex amuses me. Keep acting like that. China's model has worked - end of story. Is it just your way of showing hysteria at how China is beating you at your own games (first Olympics, next economy, soon military).

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Well whoever said going to Tafe is dumb, is the actual dumb one . You can get a diploma from tafe and earn big $$, especially in engineering.

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Me goes to TAFE and me is well smarts. I is doing Construction Management and me is promised to be have a job at the end my Diplomas. Me probably will be earnings many more money than you other university people, you player haterzz.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I would pick Uni for my chosen career, my backup is TAFE.
I don't think that is the dumb choice though.

Last edited:

danieljkim

Atheism is non prophet
HSC
hopethisworks said:
hi everyone
well im stessing just like everyone out there about uni and tafe and the problem is i believe that tafe is for the DUMB
well now not to sound rude but every drop kick and dumb sob ive ever met in my life is or has attended tafe and i just feel like its an easy gateway to tertiary education almost as easy as scoring with pam anderson
anyway in all honesty if you have to choose and only one choise
TAFE or UNI
well with that attitude i think TAFE would serve a great deal of good to you.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
Web design at the moment. I did applied maths and computer science at ANU, but will be switching to nanotechnology next year at UoW, which is mostly physics and chemistry. I'll have to find some way to fit embedded and distributed computing courses into that.
Web Design *ugh* Save me from my menial code monkey job :(

Matt Samson

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I would pick Uni for my chosen career, my backup is TAFE.
I don't think that is the dumb choice though.
It is financially a smart choice if you're eligible for Youth Allowance.

Considering the fact that people on Youth Allowance have no fees at TAFE means they can do a Diploma, then transfer to uni, and will not have to pay the HECS on the subjects they're credited for.

Not only this, having a Diploma makes you qualified to work, so you could work while at uni.

lionking1191

HSC
Matt Samson said:
When you go to university, you'll realise how a majority of academics have very little common sense and find it hard to cope with reality outside the university office they sit in most of the day.
then again, intelligence isn't related real life success or social skills, so your argument is void

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Slidey said:
You sound like a troll. Or perhaps you just haven't matured yet.

Either way you're not really saying anything of value. TAFE is for those who want to do further education but can't or don't want to do it at university.

I go there currently and I got 96.35 UAI. People run the full gamut of the intellectual spectrum. On average, you have the slightly more intelligent of the population, I've noticed (which in my books just means an IQ above 100, or above 50% of the population). The personality types seem generally reserved and of low self-confidence. At uni, people were generally outgoing and self-confident. It's easy to misconstrue a lack of knowledge and low self-confidence with a lack of intelligence, but it's false nonetheless.

The lower end courses are pretty retarded, but I'm doing a cert IV in IT atm and we're doing JavaScript, PHP, SQL and CSS. It's enjoyable enough, and I'm learning something tangibly useful.

I certainly have no problem with using it as a stepping stone for greater things (whether it be a skilled job or, in my case, re-entry to uni).

You would do well to learn some humility.
Hmm why did you choose TAFE over Uni?..... and you got 96+!!

puglover

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Hmm why did you choose TAFE over Uni?..... and you got 96+!!
I don't think that their 96+ score will go to waste though.. will it?

Either way.. I don't think 'dumb' is a very nice word to use! =P lolz.

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I know for a fact if you wanna break out into the IT industry TAFE can often be the better option. You get qualified quicker and the money is the same.

I was considering doing IT for a while and I was told TAFE would be the better option for me also.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Who cares?

Get into whatever you need to, to do whatever you want to do. Why does it matter whether it's for dumb people or not? Everyone percieves everything differently so these arguments are purely based on how you were brought up, what you were taught and ultimately, your opinion.

Evilo

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Get into whatever you need to, to do whatever you want to do. Why does it matter whether it's for dumb people or not? Everyone percieves everything differently so these arguments are purely based on how you were brought up, what you were taught and ultimately, your opinion.
qft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)