Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
med sci??

any one have comments for this please?
Hawkesbury = middle of no where

campbelltown = campbelltown

yer8899

HSC
i think UWS is really good. i am not in uni at the moment but i have a couple of friends who go their and say its really good. i dont wanna have to travel into the city everyday so it will be good for me and also i dont require a huge uai in order to get in. i wouldnt worry about the people who say that UWS isnt as good acedemically speaking. employers will be looking at your marks, not at your uni.

WannaBang?

HSC
yer8899 said:
i think UWS is really good. i am not in uni at the moment but i have a couple of friends who go their and say its really good. i dont wanna have to travel into the city everyday so it will be good for me and also i dont require a huge uai in order to get in. i wouldnt worry about the people who say that UWS isnt as good acedemically speaking. employers will be looking at your marks, not at your uni.
Not necessarily mate. As people have stated previously, some law firms discriminate against UWS graduates and consider USyd or UNSW graduates better candidates to fill a job position they may have available. I talked to my careers advisor today and she made me feel a whole lot better. Even though some firms do discriminate based on the university you went to, that's not always the case. Because if every firm was to discriminate against every UWS graduate, all UWS graduate would be jobless. And employers can discriminate on a whole bunch of things as well such as ethnicity, hair colour, whether you play rugby union or not etc etc. She also told me that it is your application letter that really sets you apart. As she said word-for-word "You could have a great degree, but if you have a shit application letter, you won't get in".

HSC
yer8899 said:
depends on the industry and employer. if you are going for a competitive industry regardless of the university you have a minimal chance of getting through, then if you say you are a uws graduate you are putting yourself at a massive disadvantage ie: investment banks and looking for a grad position.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
incentivation said:
With its connections to Western Sydney, it should have been named The Whitlam University, Gough Whitlam University or similar. I believe it already has a research facility named the Whitlam Institute..

UWS contains a large cohort, of which a great percentage are not up to university standard due to the idea of exposing those who would not have otherwise pursued university education. Ultimately, it is through institutions such as UWS that university education has become devalued in many areas.

If the organisation was to intiate a name change as mentioned, reduce the number of places offered, centralise the learning areas to one or two campuses it would have a profound effect on the quality of its students as a percentage of the total cohort (and incidentally the UAI's) and dramatically improve the rate at which the university's reputation would improve in terms of producing high quality graduates.

Culling many of the pointless academic programs would also help.

UWS was originally going to named after another PM not Whitlan though, I was reading the parliamentry debate about it when i stumbled across it last week. The MP's debated vigiroulsy over the name. West syd MP's wanted the creation of the university to remove the stigma associated with Western Sydney and reflect it's achievements and was accepted in 1988.

The uni's broke for one, it's seriously underfunded due the duplication of most courses and it's multi-campus structure. Which the gov hasn't accounted for.

Edit: Was orig going to be Chifley University until it was changed at the last minute: http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Pr...ca256d11000bd3aa4a25656e000f21b6?OpenDocument

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
chicky_pie said:
If you think UWS sucks you might as well go to TAFE because TAFE is better than UWS :rofl: but why should I discuss this kind of stuff? I got 30 for my UAI. :eek:
tafe is pretty awesome. the awesome-ness of tafe is understated.

yer8899

HSC
WannaBang? said:
Not necessarily mate. As people have stated previously, some law firms discriminate against UWS graduates and consider USyd or UNSW graduates better candidates to fill a job position they may have available. I talked to my careers advisor today and she made me feel a whole lot better. Even though some firms do discriminate based on the university you went to, that's not always the case. Because if every firm was to discriminate against every UWS graduate, all UWS graduate would be jobless. And employers can discriminate on a whole bunch of things as well such as ethnicity, hair colour, whether you play rugby union or not etc etc. She also told me that it is your application letter that really sets you apart. As she said word-for-word "You could have a great degree, but if you have a shit application letter, you won't get in".
i was thinking more of myself. im not planning on becoming a lawyer or investment banker.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
wrong_turn said:
the 10 extra uai points im pretty sure what your referring to is the stats test. it is also marked up by the uni in which regions they will take students.
depending on your stat score, you can get into a course within 10 points of your stat score. eg stat score = 90, uai = 80. the maximum course uai you will be able to get into would be a course ranked at 90 uai.

i disagree with uws being the same standard as say for example usyd and unsw. im not trying to be judgmental, but the fact is that uai scores in getting a place to unsw or usyd is still higher than at uws campuses.
as a result, the coherts at unsw and usyd would be a lot more competitive than in uws. the reason is that you will be competing with the top 1% in the state for your marks in law.
therefore the reason employers may tend to employ a graduate from unsw or usyd is that they realise that it was challenging enough to get into law in the first place, but to also succeed in being being challenged throughout uni life. they might know what it will take in the workforce and may have a better idea of how to deal with it.
ummm nah i think the uai points is automatically added to your UAI if you live in the greater western sydney region. also not considering the type of people that go to UWS, is the standard the same in terms of the difficulty of the exams and assessments?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
nah i was actually in one of the catchment areas melanieeeee ( wow so many e's) and also i have a friend who got accepted through this scheme.

what you might be thinking of is the disadvantaged schools scheme. my friend who went to fairfield high got into commerce with that 5uai point buffer for disadvantaged schools

standard of exams from uni to uni is different. but usually due to the competition to get into the unsw or usyd, the exams usually would be harder or else everyone would be getting hd's. which would make it pointless. pointless since it may seem to employers that it is easy to get easy grades at that particular uni.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
yer8899 said:
employers will be looking at your marks, not at your uni.
no i dont agree - i think it boils down to how u present urself at the interview.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lizziegirl said:
no i dont agree - i think it boils down to how u present urself at the interview.
i disagree. i think it boils down to a range of factors. depending on what job it is more so than others.

HSC
lizziegirl said:
getting to the int stage is usually the toughest assignment for the top organisations and your uni can potentially play a part.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Rhanoct said:
you're only as good as your uni
That is the most retarded thing I have heard for quite a while now. Fucking lol. 2008.

Get into uni first champ. You'll soon learn the general rule that lecturers wont pull you through it.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
If you want to work for an investment bank, a top tier law firm or any of those 'top end' institutions, you must be the creme de la creme. Ultimately, the majority of the those students attend the 'prestigious' universities and is obviously reflected in graduate cadetships, articles and the like.

If however, you aim to enter small to mid tier practice in the business or legal fields, I see the university that you attended as playing a much smaller role (in some instances of course it may still be relevant).

Just study your interest or passion, work hard and at some stage it will pay off

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
oh yeh by the way, the big four and the top investment banks will ask for you uai.

and im quite sure that is a blanket rule for any major entities.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
wrong_turn said:
oh yeh by the way, the big four and the top investment banks will ask for you uai.

and im quite sure that is a blanket rule for any major entities.
why not lie? its not as if they are going to find out.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont know how they do it, but i think they ask for proof of it.

it isnt exactly just a normal job application.

they do ask for your academic transcript when you apply.

you cannot just exactly make them up and present it to them. they will find out. and when they do.hahaha

you can make up a resume for a part time job but for grad applications its different.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
wrong_turn said:
i dont know how they do it, but i think they ask for proof of it.

it isnt exactly just a normal job application.

they do ask for your academic transcript when you apply.

you cannot just exactly make them up and present it to them. they will find out. and when they do.hahaha

you can make up a resume for a part time job but for grad applications its different.
i dont think a uai is an academic transcript though. also not even your school knows what uai you got unless you tell them.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you dont understand.

you have a university academic transcript - uni grades
you might have a supplementary transcript - extracuricular activities at uni
you will have a uai which will be sent to you via a letter in the post from i think uac.
there is your resume and cv
you might need to fill in a online quiz or similar for the application process.

eg of firms who require uai, macq bank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)