JMP Interviews - 2016 Entry (1 Viewer)

sn1p

HSC
That's so cool!
hahahahaha "shifty Asian sharehouse"
I am thinking seriously about UQ... I am thinking about staying at the Womens college or Johns college. Do you know anything about them? Also, what is your undergraduate degree? Are you enjoying it?? :)
I know absolutely nothing about colleges unfortunately :/
I'm just studying a Bachelor of Science (like probably 90% of other premeds) and it's been quite enjoyable on the whole - some dud subjects and some difficult ones, but overall it's far more chill than year 12 :)

eaions

HSC
Did anyone get UoN interview offers in the mail today?

(I want to know if I should be worried haha)

MissE

HSC
N/A
Did anyone get UoN interview offers in the mail today?

(I want to know if I should be worried haha)
Nope, but I'm in Wollongong. If they were posted on Friday you'd think some Novocastrians would have received one...

loveallaround

HSC
has ANYONE got a letter or interview offer in any form from University of Newcastle? My S1 was 67 and yeah im in WA so it would take a while if it did get sent but just wonderingg. Congratulations to everyone that got interviews :)

eaions

HSC
Nope, but I'm in Wollongong. If they were posted on Friday you'd think some Novocastrians would have received one...
Hey @MissE! I am in Wollongong too! Where abouts are you?

hscmathematics

HSC
Can someone clarify on the selection process following interviews.

Are both S1 UMAT and ATAR/GPA threshold? i.e. are offers given SOLELY on interview scores?

Have seen conflicting information, where people have mentioned the use of S1 UMAT + interview to determine offer, while others have said it is only interview performance?

loveallaround

HSC
Can someone clarify on the selection process following interviews.

Are both S1 UMAT and ATAR/GPA threshold? i.e. are offers given SOLELY on interview scores?

Have seen conflicting information, where people have mentioned the use of S1 UMAT + interview to determine offer, while others have said it is only interview performance?
Mate, the thing is none of really know unless the uni sends out these info, I would like to know also as I hope ATAR isn't a big part of the selection process. For UAdel though, I know that interviews are given solely on umat performance and that they use interviews to rank and ATAR to distinguish between close individuals... but then that again is kinda speculative to a degree. I hope someone knows and can answer more clearly

A1P

HSC
I would like to know also as I hope ATAR isn't a big part of the selection process.
Here you go, from their own websites.

JMP: Other than ATAR hurdles, you must achieve a threshold score of 50 in each of the three UMAT constructs. Interview invitations are then determined by ranking candidates on the score in construct one.

The JMP Assessment has two parts: 1. Personal Qualities Assessment (PQA) and 2. Multiple Skills Assessment (MSA)
That's all it says, which on surface means ATAR & UMAT don't count into assessment for places.

UAdel:
https://health.adelaide.edu.au/downloads/admissions/medicine_admissionsguide-web.pdf

Quote: First round interview invitations will be based on performance in the UMAT with each of the three UMAT sections having equal weight. Approximately 500 applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

The SECOND ROUND of interviews will be held in January 2016. Interview invitations will be based on a combination of performance in the UMAT (with each of the three UMAT sections having equal weight) and academic results on a 1:2 weighting. Approximately 150-200 applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

A UMAT bonus will be given to South Australian applicants to be taken into account solely for selecting applicants for the first round interviews. This bonus will not be taken into account for selecting applicants for the January interviews, nor in the determination of offers for places in the degree.

Merit Ranking Process
Applicants will be ranked for an offer based on a combination of scores from these three components weighted as follows:
-- UMAT Results: 20%
-- Interview Results: 40%
-- Academic Results: 40%

A1P

HSC
I would like to know also as I hope ATAR isn't a big part of the selection process.
Here you go, from their own websites.

JMP: Other than ATAR hurdles, you must achieve a threshold score of 50 in each of the three UMAT constructs. Interview invitations are then determined by ranking candidates on the score in construct one.

The JMP Assessment has two parts: 1. Personal Qualities Assessment (PQA) and 2. Multiple Skills Assessment (MSA)
That's all it says, which on surface means ATAR & UMAT don't count into assessment for places.

UAdel:
https://health.adelaide.edu.au/downl...sguide-web.pdf

Quote: First round interview invitations will be based on performance in the UMAT with each of the three UMAT sections having equal weight. Approximately 500 applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

The SECOND ROUND of interviews will be held in January 2016. Interview invitations will be based on a combination of performance in the UMAT (with each of the three UMAT sections having equal weight) and academic results on a 1:2 weighting. Approximately 150-200 applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

A UMAT bonus will be given to South Australian applicants to be taken into account solely for selecting applicants for the first round interviews. This bonus will not be taken into account for selecting applicants for the January interviews, nor in the determination of offers for places in the degree.

Merit Ranking Process
Applicants will be ranked for an offer based on a combination of scores from these three components weighted as follows:
-- UMAT Results: 20%
-- Interview Results: 40%
-- Academic Results: 40%

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
For JMP, it's 100% interviews (ATAR/UMAT threshold).

This might have changed but that was the case last year

MissE

HSC
N/A
Hey @MissE! I am in Wollongong too! Where abouts are you?
I'm about 15 minutes south-west of the CBD, (being intentionally obscure to avoid detection!)
Where are you? If you feel like interview practice, count me in :)

A1P

HSC
Read on MSO someone in Newcastle received their UoN interview letter today.
Other states may take another day or two.

ManUpstairs

HSC
I got a UNE interview today with a S1=60 so lower than you think
Sorry for going a bit off topic here, but were you classified as "rural" or "non-rural"? (if you don't mind me asking)

Cheers.

hscmathematics

HSC
For JMP, it's 100% interviews (ATAR/UMAT threshold).

This might have changed but that was the case last year
Where did it state that last year?

I've seen that being thrown around for a few years now but I've never seen a statement from the university personally that substantiates it.

sn1p

HSC

I've seen that being thrown around for a few years now but I've never seen a statement from the university personally that substantiates it.
Same with WSU and their UMAT/interview split + the deal with GWS (the site says a proportion of 'places' are allocated to GWS people, but last year at the info day they said GWS is to get them a 50/50 split of interviewees) - when I called them to ask about whether I'm still counted as GWS seeing as my address is technically still in Sydney, I asked about these two things and got straight up hit with "WELL. All I know is if you're smart and you do well, you'll get a place".

iStudent

HSC

Don't have a link or anything of the sort. It was medentry that stated this and I just go by what they say.

Unless they secretly changed their selection process, I'm almost certain that this is how they'll do it this year

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)