My subjects are open for discussion... (1 Viewer)

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Nah we're serious.

Physics is more english than maths.
this.

Its is just "like every other subject" where you memorise some facts and spit it out in the HSC exams

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Even a general maths student could cope with HSC physics due to its banality as a subject.
That's what it's designed for; so that students doing lower levels of maths can cope with physics, chemistry, etc etc

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
But it's redundant in the end though...

Like, if you're planning to study uni chemistry, then the high school equivalent will have some use. Whereas for physics, there is no correlation between the HSC and uni course.
yes. this is what I found out this year. even UNI chemistry is a bit more maths intense

matchalolz

HSC
Was about to derail this thread but yeah some advice for OP to do well in maths and english:

1. English: in this subject it's all about PRACTICE, and NOT MEMORISING. Although it can be tempting to memorise essays, in the long run you'll not benefit from it. If you practice writing one essay every week, you'll see your writing skills slowly improve and even if you get a fked up question in an exam you'll be able to whip up a half decent response to it. Plus, you'll get better over time so you'll be able to annihilate your final exams later on. Think about it like this, if you're practicing to run a marathon, you don't go and watch videos on how to run, but instead you would go out and run in real life for practice.

2. Maths: practice every day, even when you have assignments and feel that you're busy. Fail assignments? no problem you'll still be in prelim. fail math? the more you fail the harder it is to catch up. Just some practical advice there if you suck at managing time like me but ideally you would want to not fail assignments and not fail maths :D

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Thanks and yes I will get a start on with the English Practice Essays, how would you manage your study times at home do you'se have specific subjects for each day study or something else because having a decent timetable for studying at home is a virtue. Btw Physics I will be doing and I know I can cope in it until the HSC- (I never knew that Physics was more of an English based topic that Maths) so that made it even better for me if I do Physics in Year 11 because I was nervous with all the 'Hard Maths' involved, again thank you.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks and yes I will get a start on with the English Practice Essays, how would you manage your study times at home do you'se have specific subjects for each day study or something else because having a decent timetable for studying at home is a virtue. Btw Physics I will be doing and I know I can cope in it until the HSC- (I never knew that Physics was more of an English based topic that Maths) so that made it even better for me if I do Physics in Year 11 because I was nervous with all the 'Hard Maths' involved, again thank you.

Some people have like to have a day per week to concentrate on an individual subject...

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
So Physics isn't that intense in Year 11 right? Its just understanding concepts and mainly writing paragraphs or essays for questions with not much mathematics involved than English is.

FancyPenguin

HSC
From what i've heard it varies a lot between students, but physics is harder in prelim than HSC due to having to learn all the new formulas and concepts, but if you're good with formula's and subbing then yea, i suppose so.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yeah, Im alright with subbing, in the HSC do they provide the formula's for Physics?

matchalolz

HSC
How I set up my timetable:

every weekday afternoon:
I split this up into 4 time periods. On some days I may only have one time period due personal commitments, and so on these days I reserve that period for urgent homework only - basically the work I need to do that is due the next day and the teacher will chop my head off if I dont do it. On these busy days I generally leave revision for my free period the next day

On normal days, I reserve one of the time periods for revision. As I have 4 periods a day at school hence 4 subjects studied each school day, I allocate 15 minutes for each subject revision. Basically I get out a piece of paper and set a timer for 15 minutes. I write down everything I can remember about the lesson and when I'm done I add in all the things I missed and highlight these. Then I will revise the material a week later, and then a month later. As I have a lot of free periods, I generally only have 3 subjects per day and so I'm usually done in 45 minutes.

For the other 3 "time periods":
Each day I set aside three things that I need to do, e.g. maths homework, work on assignments. Then I allocate one thing per period.

Weekends:
If I have stuck to my timetable I do nothing on the weekends. I let myself fuck around and have fun. I only ever do work if I feel like it which is 0.01% of the time. I might use weekends more productively in year 12 but ceebs for now.

By using this method I maintain a revision schedule whilst completing assignments.

iStudent

HSC
turnerloos I'm so motivated, that's my driving force that is going to push me even further to my limits, anything is achievable with the right mindset. If I don't get that 95+ ATAR I can always do a Medical Health Sciences Degree? But thanks man I like when people give me a hand with these kinds of things it motivates me even further!
Your motivation is inspiring. I had something like this when I was in year 10. Unfortunately it died somewhere in year 12 :(
Just a word of advice, don't let your motivation drop even one bit ok? That's probably one of the most important things to carry into your senior years.

Yeah off-topic but i wanted to point that out in reading his posts :p

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
don't let your motivation drop even one bit ok? That's probably one of the most important things to carry into your senior years.
I respect your honesty of what reality may bring in senior years not just for me but also others who are on the journey also. This is a very challenging one, it's towards the HSC, the ultimate goal. I want to do the very best I can, it's the influence that's driving my motivation to get the results. People are pushing me further and that is making it work, its inspiring me to do the 'very best'. Thanks for that man appreciate the heads up of what I will be facing, the inevitable HSC years ahead.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Maths advice:
Do your homework because the pace in 3u is pretty fast and you can fall the behind easily. If you want to succeed then you have be organised and diligent.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hey Futurmedstudent! Are you doing 3 unit?
i am accelerated in 2 unit but will be starting 3u next year.
Looking at the amount of content one needs to study in 3 terms then the pace needs to be pretty fast. At my school, if one does 3u english or 3u maths then one needs sit classes before, after and during school hours.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
pace needs to be pretty fast. At my school, if one does 3u english or 3u maths then one needs sit classes before, after and during school hours.
It would be a breeze if you love the subject's that you shall be doing.

FancyPenguin

HSC
That would suck, only MX2 and EE2 run off the timetable at my school. Also if you do accelerated math the pace of 3u is way easier compared to other kids who haven't done the prelim course yet, but if you can keep on top of mathematics then you should be fine as MX1 only builds on that knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)