On line Study Group (1 Viewer)

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
lil_lainy said:
hey this is a lil of the track but when we r riting the answers in the exam do ppl tend to rite with two collums, or just use like half the page and then go on to a new page?

i usually rite in collumns but am not sure if this is too cluttered, there is no line down the centre
i dont bother with columns...they are too messy when i do them coz half the page is used mainly but then are parts when a couple of lines go to the edge of the page, so it dont work. if you can make it look neat then do it but make sure u only got one question per page like ur supposed.

lil_lainy

HSC
hey did anyone else buy a general maths pink book thing, through ur school, and its got like all past paers and answers, and then 6 like sample papaers in the back. if so dus anyone else find those sample papers like really shitty, just like the way the answers are formed and everything, and i swear haldf them were like rong

Ezzmaye

HSC
N/A
Hi...i was wondering if anyone has any specific ways of doin algebra? I hate it so much and i can never work out what the hell it means...If someone could help me, that would be great!

Thanks

Ezzmaye

HSC
N/A
I just don't understand the concept of it...it's too weird and stupid and i don't think it likes me...lol. I understand simple algebra...like

simplify 5(x-3) - 2(x-4)
5x-15-2x+8=
3x-7...

But other questions that aren't as simple as this are too difficult for me

chocc0

HSC
Ezzmaye said:
I just don't understand the concept of it...it's too weird and stupid and i don't think it likes me...lol. I understand simple algebra...like

simplify 5(x-3) - 2(x-4)
5x-15-2x+8=
3x-7...

But other questions that aren't as simple as this are too difficult for me
i am really stuck on the ones with powers they screw me over
also does anyone know how to do finacial expectaion?

sez809

YAY, this is my first 'post', how exciting, if I knew how, it would be in pink!! I agree, algebra sucks crap, also so does financial maths but you know which section I found the simplest - area and volume... except for one aspect of it, error in measurement, how do you found "half the smallest unit used?" and what does "greatest possible error mean" etc? If anyone could pretty please help and I will give you a virtual hug!! Good Luck!

chocc0

HSC
sez809 said:
YAY, this is my first 'post', how exciting, if I knew how, it would be in pink!! I agree, algebra sucks crap, also so does financial maths but you know which section I found the simplest - area and volume... except for one aspect of it, error in measurement, how do you found "half the smallest unit used?" and what does "greatest possible error mean" etc? If anyone could pretty please help and I will give you a virtual hug!! Good Luck!
ok half the smallest unit used
for example: u wanted to find the measurement of 5.55 meters of wood

to fine the upper limit you would + 0.005 and to fins the lower limit -0.005
i think that is right if not i''m sorry

sez809

But why 0.005? Is that the same for all measurements? I know error in measurement is probably really simple for you and you're probably getting frustrated about how I dont understand it but I still dont get it, sorry! My second post! :)!

Last edited:

chocc0

HSC
nah it's not the same for all measurements
ok it's like u want to find um.. 5.0 meters it would be plus or minus 0.05
2.384 would be plus or minus 0.0005
5.00 meters plus of minus 0.005
i can't really explain it in words but i hope that helps

sez809

Hey! I think you made a breakthrough, tell me if I've got it right. However many digits there are in the measurement, thats how many zero's there are? If that's right, why do they say "half the smallest unit used"?

sez809

Since you've helped me with error in measurement I'll try and help you with financial expectation.
It looks long and hard but if you work in sections it's quite simple. What you do is you have a fraction of the event occuring and then you times that by the amount you win/lose..then you add the next fraction of the other event occuring and then times that by the amount you win/lose and keep doing this until the event's over.(Note, it's one long calculation and just key the numbers in one after the after, also if you're keying in the amount you're about to lose make sure you put the negative symbol in) I'll give you an example as my explanation isn't probably good enough, the example is straight from the text book.
->A game is played where a die is rolled. if a one or a six is rolled, the player wins $2 and if any other number is rolled the plaer loses $1. What is the financial expectation of this game? The calculation should look like this, it's long but you can work out the sections?
1/6 x 2 + 1/6 x -1 +1/6 x -1 + 1/6 x -1 + 1/6 x -1 +1/6 x 2
This should equal 0, which means that the financial expectation is $0
I truly hope I've helped both you and other people and good luck in Tuesdays exam!! :)

Last edited:

sez809

This site is like a free "Advice Line" - it's great! I've got another question this time about standard deviation. How do you know wether to use the sample or the population button in figuring out the standard deviation?

hayhay_03

HSC
sez809 said:
This site is like a free "Advice Line" - it's great! I've got another question this time about standard deviation. How do you know wether to use the sample or the population button in figuring out the standard deviation?

the sample would be when ur just working on part of a population , but the population button would be used if the question involves an entire population....
hmm , dont understand what u where asking , so i could be wrong.. dum de dum

sez809

Well I suppose that makes sense hey, but luckily it didn't have any of the standard deviation/error in measurement - STOKED!

paganinio

HSC
Modern Hot Chic said:
Is anyone interested in forming an on line study group to help each other out with this subject? As you know, the HSC is looming, and I thought we could all help each other out.
online study group? do you refer to a message board or anything else?

craz

HSC
This is a great way for an online study board! I personally like algebra and am not a big fan of spherical geometry and geometry ;) you guys make maths come back to me...so quiz me :d

yods

yes a study group sounds gr8!!!!!!! I keep falling asleep doing maths!!!

A study group sounds like a gr8 idea! I haven't got anyone at home that can help me with the level of maths that i'm doing. maths makes me fall asleep as i find it very difficult or confusing or useless!!!

ohhh yer just call me YODS!!!

hottie_mira

yods said:
A study group sounds like a gr8 idea! I haven't got anyone at home that can help me with the level of maths that i'm doing. maths makes me fall asleep as i find it very difficult or confusing or useless!!!

ohhh yer just call me YODS!!!
yods, i think we are soul mates!!! lol.. i suck so badly at maths, seriously i do not understand 1 bit except income tax/financial stuff..i can do that so great but evrything else i suck at. my maths book is full of drawings and crap.. I NEED HELP!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)