Oscar 2005 Thread (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
Crash for best original screenplay is woeful yes but I had secretly expected it. The acclaim that it has drawn is from the manner in which it promotes its bloated ideas on racism, which is an aspect of the screenplay that has been praised.

Munich's editing was so brilliant I can't fathom how it didn't win.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
My guess is that the Academy members got cold feet when they saw the sex scene.

Ah.. gotta love Jon Stewart, he's one that's not disappointing anyway.

Last edited:

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
7th Sign said:
aussies win any thing?:confused:
yeh an dion beebe (an aussie from brisbane) won best cinematography for Memoris of a geisha

yay Reese Witherspoon won...she rules...even though it was obvious she would win...im happy...and she looked gorgeous at the show...and her hubby ryan alwayz looking great...:)

icecreamdisco

HSC
no word, icon, or bowel movement can express how angry i am that crash won best pic. is there any way that we can pledge to give the oscar to something else?

three 6 mafia winning is awesome, but their 3rd grade interpretive dance performance stunk up the performance.

other than that, bleh. jon stewart was massively disappointing.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
See my friend was also disappointed by Jon Stewart, I don't get what you guys found so wrong with his hosting?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
bring back chris rock and make him have a gunfight with sean penn!
jon stewart was god-awful and so restrained...

i have to confess that i have a crazy crush on none other than PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN! and who would've thought.

crash winning anything was a travesty and good night and good luck not winning original screenplay made my heart sink.

overall though, it was pretty entertaining for me, with the greatest display of frocks and rocks in the history of civilisation...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Admittedly I didn't see last year's award show, so I missed out on Chris Rock. I thought Stewart was a heck of a lot better than Billy Crystal anyhow.

imperfection

HSC
I don't know how the fuck Crash won over Brokeback Mountain. Crash was good and worthy of the nomination, but it wasn't that good. It was understandable that Brokeback didn't win anything in the acting categories, they were up against tough (and deserving) competition, but best film? And to Crash? If Walk the Line was nominated and won, maybe, maybe I would be okay with it. But, Crash? WTF.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Walk The Line is probably the one movie that I would've been less ok with winning than Crash. "Ray for white people" indeed.

imperfection

HSC
Well, if not Walk the Line then Capote or Good Night & Good Luck should have got it. Those two films were brilliant, they stuck with you and made you think whereas Crash was just an unrealistic chain of coincidence after coincidence. All the films nominated were good, but to me Brokeback Mountain was in a whole other caliber and I just can't fathom how it didn't win. Normally I'd think I was biased but alot of people tend to agree with me.

And how in hell did Crash win best original screenplay?

payafee

HSC
Ben Stiller was hilarious in that green suit. he should've hosted the show zoolander style!!

Jon Stewart had some funny lines but he didn't get enough screen time.

spiny norman

HSC
I thought Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin were the most entertaining of all the presenters.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Crash was an awesome film, fuck Brokeback mountain.

nwatts

HSC
imperfection said:
I don't know how the fuck Crash won over Brokeback Mountain. Crash was good and worthy of the nomination, but it wasn't that good. It was understandable that Brokeback didn't win anything in the acting categories, they were up against tough (and deserving) competition, but best film? And to Crash? If Walk the Line was nominated and won, maybe, maybe I would be okay with it. But, Crash? WTF.
It's the film America needed to see. Despite its bloated, melodramatic simplicity, Crash shows that racism isn't confined to whites vs. blacks (it works the other way too, a very often forgotten fact), that people who are racist aren't "bad people" and that racism is something that is incredibly prevalent within American society.

Haggis portrayed all this in the worst way possible, but because of its tactless and melodramatic nature, audiences didn't need to work to figure out what was being said. All four other films required active engagement in order to realise their various subtexts. Crash essentially had no subtext. It wore its heart on its sleeve. I feel this is an absolute negative. Restraint is a sign of talent. American audiences clearly (and have done so forever) think differently. Or, they just don't think.

This answers both why Crash won best picture; because it is so accessible to American society, and why it won best screenplay; because its ideas were so relevant to American society.

Crash's only competition was Brokeback Mountain. The other three films are brilliant, but aren't films that win Best Picture. Crash won because it was so immediate and so accessible.

HSC
question: Did Scarlett Johansson attend? I never saw her...in all honesty she has no reason to attend yet many celebrities still do.

nwatts

HSC
TheHarlequinMan said:
question: Did Scarlett Johansson attend? I never saw her...in all honesty she has no reason to attend yet many celebrities still do.
No she didn't. She was the only person I was actually looking for.

payafee

HSC
TheHarlequinMan said:
you don't have to be nominated for anything to attend. she was at the golden globes..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)