P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

Ribbon

The restrictions are ridiculous... a clapped out old v8 is all of 100kw, but a new 6 is closer to 200... go figure

Also modifications - what mods are limited, anyone know? It would be ridiculous to expect that a p-plater can't upgrade say the diff (usually upgraded to allow for two wheel burnouts :D ) or the carby on their old car... what if something breaks and no other parts are avaliable?

It doesn't really matter to me, I live in the ACT. But I would be mightly pissed off if I lived in NSW and I couldn't drive my bf's v8 (he has his full licence and it is soon to be supercharged) especially if it was the only car we had. I actually think I am safer driving around in his v8, because it's easier to pick gaps in traffic ect. knowing that I have some form of acceleration (unlike in my 1990 4 cylinder camry, which can, btw, get to 170 pulling a trailer hehe ). I also think driving big cars on my L's helped alot in my driver education... especially the parking bit.

I know alot of 'idiot' drivers (Im probably one of them hehe) and you know who the dangerous ones are? The city kids who try and show off without ever having had any practice or experience controlling the car. All the guys I know who grew up on farms and have been doing burnouts in thier paddock bashers since they learnt how to drive when they were 10 can handle the car and easily correct if they do run into trouble...

sy33

annoyed

i think it is a crap idea, i car pool for work and suck and now i can't do thta. once again the good inncent people who always do the rite thing are being punnished for the hullagens on the road. why should we be punished for their mis-behavior. i think that the government has to stop using bandaid solutions and start fixing the problem. the government only wants to brush the situation aside and make it out that their is no problem. so stuff them and i will conrinue to drive people places and the government can go and stuff themselves

klh

HSC
me too, you on your L's or P's? Im on my L's so thats why they set it out.

Well do you guys think that its becasue of car games and racing that motivate this type of behaviour? I mean if you had a car would you at least attempt to speed to get the feeling of what it can do so oyu can at least know how to control it?
Its jsut some idiots keep speeding just to show off, i mean even if its just a small distance they accelerate which i see is unnecesary and usually the cause of some accidents.
Those who street drag should be f*cked, catch them and make them not able to buy or modify cars i think would do away with them..make em ride scooters or something.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
im on my l's
pff u need skill to get ur p's.
and hrs.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
I kinda agree with it, i dont relaly think that someone on their p plates can totally controll a v8 engine, its just askin for disaster

klh

HSC
my dads gonna get a 6c soon but i dont know i can use it. the letter said high perfromance 6c not allowed...and my dad doesnt wasnt to settle for a 4c (i dont either)
toyota camry, is that a 6c with high performance? i dont think so but that vvti shits makes me think otherwise. (yes, i have little knowledge about cars)

supercharged

HSC
N/A
klh said:
my dads gonna get a 6c soon but i dont know i can use it. the letter said high perfromance 6c not allowed...and my dad doesnt wasnt to settle for a 4c (i dont either)
toyota camry, is that a 6c with high performance? i dont think so but that vvti shits makes me think otherwise. (yes, i have little knowledge about cars)
No, the camry 6 cylinder is not considered a high performance vechicle and the vvti is only on the 4 cylinder models (not that it has much effect anyway).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Restrictions don't make any sense. If you limit the number of passengers that just means there are going to be more P platers driving themselves instead of getting lifts. It also eliminates the idea of a designated driver for P platers which also makes no sense at all.

There are 2 solutions:

1. Teach people to drive properly in the first place. Needing 100 hours is a start but people are obviously going to lie about it. The government should invest in a compulsory driving course that learners have to do before they can take their test.

2. Scrap the ridiculous test they have now. Whether you are capable of driving around below the speed limit, doing 3 point turns and reverse parking is irrelevant. People are passing the test now because they can do all the things required even though they aren't good enough drivers.

If you drive around with someone for 30 minutes you can tell if they are capable or not. The RTA testers should make a judgment call based on whether they are confident and capable, not use a checklist based on whether they can reverse park and drive around at 45km/h.

w00dy.

HSC
When i first heard about these new restrictions ages ago, i was to a certain extent against it....

right up until a month ago, when i lost four friends in a car accident in byron bay.

now all that we appear to be hearing about in the media in our community is about the p-plate debate. my community even held a forum where ideas could be put forward in regards to what we can do to limit the number of accidents that involve younger people.

but thats just it. these are just accidents, innocent lives are lost not at the cost of someones mistake. they are just accidents.

and i guess thats where we need to look at things that may seem to prevent these accidents, take advanced driver courses for example. they provide an individual the skills that they require in order to handle any number of given situations. although something like this may not elimate all accidents its still something that we can learn from.

i honestly thought that after the accident that wreaked tradegy through my community, close friennds etc. that lessons would be learned. but thats not something that appears to have happened. im not trying to say that any of the accidents that have happened in the past few weeks and more recently within the past few days were deliberate. if anything i extend my sympathys to the families and friends that knew those people who's lives were lost.

i think instead of saying how much we disagree to these possible new restrictions, why dont we look at what they are trying to achieve.

although there are still some proposals that i disagree with like the idea of restriciting the number of passengers in the car, because that in itself could mean that people will overload and that there will be more cars on the road and hence increasing the risk of accidents. but then there are some things that i do agree with things like placing new p platers in a situation where they do have a car load of people and are then placed in any number of conditions that they will have to handle at some stage while driving and testing whether or not they have that capability to handle and concentrate on driving with that many people in the car.

i guess you could say that the whole p plate debate has really hit home for alot of people over the past month. if anything there is more lessons to be learnt out of this and maybe more positive things to come. i dont know.

but please to anyone out there who drives. drive safely.

(im sorry if this post was a little too long for anyones liking)

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
im on my Ls, i have 110hrs and am 17. yet havent gotten my Ps.

why? cos when i get off them i wont have a car to drive.
i live in the bush. luckily moved to the nearest town a few months ago, so i can walk about, still go out to the property on weekends. when i get my Ps i cant drive any of our families cars, cos theyre either banned, company cars or im just too short. cant get exception cos i should be able to drive my mothers car (according to the people in charge of choosing). doesnt matter to them i cant physically reach the pedals and handbrake simultaneuous. (its a kia carnival i think...)

p-plate restricions do save lives. the number of passengers restricted after an offence is a GOOD idea. cos if your stupid enough to do something dumb, you have no right to complain.

also, earlier in the forum, it mentioned public transport. theres none in the bush, not even in the major towns, like the one im currently living in. we carpool between those on their Ps, and any very genorous parents we might be able to beg. Alot of us self-restrict passenger numbers anyway.

just wish i had a car... (oh, and my family wont get me a car, cos we just got a new one, and jobs are hard to come by if you dont want to work in macdonalds)

newaz.. ive had my 5cents worth...

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Restrictions don't make any sense. If you limit the number of passengers that just means there are going to be more P platers driving themselves instead of getting lifts. It also eliminates the idea of a designated driver for P platers which also makes no sense at all.

There are 2 solutions:

1. Teach people to drive properly in the first place. Needing 100 hours is a start but people are obviously going to lie about it. The government should invest in a compulsory driving course that learners have to do before they can take their test.

2. Scrap the ridiculous test they have now. Whether you are capable of driving around below the speed limit, doing 3 point turns and reverse parking is irrelevant. People are passing the test now because they can do all the things required even though they aren't good enough drivers.

If you drive around with someone for 30 minutes you can tell if they are capable or not. The RTA testers should make a judgment call based on whether they are confident and capable, not use a checklist based on whether they can reverse park and drive around at 45km/h.
good post, especially the length of the test...It is so easy to know all the routes for a particular RTA, I think the test should be conducted over several suburbs, in areas that the driver hasn't seen before. Using their 100 hours and even a driving course, it shouldnt be much more difficult.

Let's face it, we drive around heaps as soon as we get off our Ps (i drive 45minutes from the Hills to Hurstville), and all i had to do in my test was drive around the surrounding streets...

lengy

HSC
Accidents are ALWAYS going to happen. It's unrealistic to think you can create some policy that's going to stop them once and for all. I'm with the advanced driving technique solution though. It will at least help people understand how a car handles better. I just wish I had enough money to pay for a course and Oran Park is shutting down in the near future. :(

ZabZu

HSC
Im 20 years old and I have been on my full licence for a few months now. My insurance company AAMI ran a skilled drivers course that aimed to increase my control of my car and tell me the dangers of speeding. Those courses are useful but they only have short-term effects (a few weeks).

What we need to do is scare young drivers of the dangers of excessive speeding. We need to introduce them to people who have been seriously injured in speed related accidents or something like that.

Regulation can help but most of the proposed rules are stupid and will have little effect.

lengy

HSC
Good luck with your scare campaign. I've spent a week in a Brain Injury Unit with mainly Motor Vehicle Accident patients and I only made me reconsider my driving for a week. Smart thing blaming the government for a silly policy that will greatly inconvenience many drivers. Accidents will always happen. Parents who want to implement this policy only need to prevent their children from being in another car with a P-plater driver and tell them to find another way home. You don't need policy to implement this. Dumbarses.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It doesn't matter what the laws are, you're always gonna get some fuckwit driving at 200km/h at 3am with 4 passengers and no seatbelts.

lengy

HSC
The latest accident on today's and yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald and Sun Herald were about three people who just came from there formal party. Good kids who didn't drink and did well in school. Their car got hit at a T-intersection but they aren't sure why. Accidents happen.

w00dy.

HSC
yes accidents will always happen.

but isnt it better to look at ways that can possibly lower the number of accidents that do happen.?

that way we can at least lower the number of young lives that are lost on our roads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)