Racial discrimination in HSC language courses (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The way I look at it, even if she does screw up her HSC, she can always repeat the subject again next year until we get a good ATAR, or do a internal transfer in uni, if my sister is going to waste 11 years before HSC, might as well just do the HSC.
No, she can be the judge of that. There is still plenty of time, she isn't even 14 yet.

I have to agree with thief. You are sounding a bit too controlling.

simplyinsanity

HSC
The way I look at it, even if she does screw up her HSC, she can always repeat the subject again next year until we get a good ATAR, or do a internal transfer in uni, if my sister is going to waste 11 years before HSC, might as well just do the HSC.
That's rarely a good idea.

simplyinsanity

HSC
Why is that?
Well, mostly because there is no guarantee that you (or in this case, she) will get a better mark. People tend to feel bored when repeating a subject for the second time and will consequently become unmotivated. When you are unmotivated, you are less likely to put in more effort in order to achieve a better mark. Thus, the time spent repeating a year in high school, would be wasted.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, mostly because there is no guarantee that you (or in this case, she) will get a better mark. People tend to feel bored when repeating a subject for the second time and will consequently become unmotivated. When you are unmotivated, you are less likely to put in more effort in order to achieve a better mark. Thus, the time spent repeating a year in high school, would be wasted.
to add on it is a waste of time and money

financialwar

HSC
N/A
it's free to do HSC, the previous marks do not count towards ATAR (unlike uni GPA).

Any ways, we have detracted from the topic.

It's about racial discrimination in HSC.

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I agree that it's bizarre that the European languages don't have heritage. It's it only unfair in that background speakers can coast through some of the highest scaling HSC subjects, it's also unfair that non-native speakers have to compete against people who have spoken the language at home their whole lives or lived and gone to school in the country.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
it's free to do HSC, the previous marks do not count towards ATAR (unlike uni GPA).

Any ways, I have we have detracted from the topic.

well, if you're in the public school system. But you make it sound that your sister is quite advanced and you wouldn't want the public school system (believe me!!!)

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad

Any ways, I have we have detracted from the topic.

Some courses, if there's not enough demand... Then they won't run it.

enoilgam

HSC
Wait, isn't financialwar the same troll who said they were thinking of getting their sister to do the HSC at age 9?
One and the same - I call troll as well.

Irrespective it is an interesting issue - I havent looked through the thread/issue much, but it is odd that there are no heritage or background speakers courses for other languages. Maybe BoS feels demand would be too low to justify making a curriculum/exams (then again, languages like Dutch had three students last year). Either way, I dont think it really matters all that much.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
One and the same - I call troll as well.

Irrespective it is an interesting issue - I havent looked through the thread/issue much, but it is odd that there are no heritage or background speakers courses for other languages. Maybe BoS feels demand would be too low to justify making a curriculum/exams (then again, languages like Dutch had three students last year). Either way, I dont think it really matters all that much.
yeah pretty much this

financialwar

HSC
N/A
I agree that it's bizarre that the European languages don't have heritage. It's it only unfair in that background speakers can coast through some of the highest scaling HSC subjects, it's also unfair that non-native speakers have to compete against people who have spoken the language at home their whole lives or lived and gone to school in the country.
Finally someone other than me dared to point out the pink elephant in the room.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
And do you think this is a good enough reason to disadvantage thousands of heritage and background speaker students?
I don't know the answer to that but..,

IMO.... It doesn't disadvantage
them as scaling and moderation will take care of that.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
I don't know the answer to that but..,

IMO.... It doesn't disadvantage
them as scaling and moderation will take care of that.
scaling works at a course-wide level not at a individual level.

A native French doing French continuer will have absolutely advantage over a native Chinese doing the same French continuer, the course French continuer might get scaled in line with other courses, that scaling affects equally both the French and Chinese student doing the same French continuer, this scaling does not negate the innate advantage the French native has.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Same can be said for the Australian doing Chinese ...

The Australian person will have a disadvantage over the native chinese overseas students doing Chinese.

classicjimbo

HSC
N/A
probably a troll but may as well bite

Why does only Asian languages have heritage and background courses?

A children born in China and study there until say year 6, comes to Australia and if he wants to do Chinese in HSC, he must do the harder 2U background course. If a child born in Germany and study there for the same amount of time, can do German continuer and extension for a total of 3 units at a much easier level.

Why is that? Does not sound fair to me.
probably because bostes noticed trends like this

"The vast majority of people who reported an Australian ancestry were born in Australia (98%). For most other ancestries, the majority of people were born either in Australia or the country associated with their ancestry. The European ancestries in the top 10 ancestry groups follow this pattern. For example, 83% of people who reported German ancestry were born in Australia and 10% were born in Germany. Only 7% were born in other countries. This pattern differed for the Asian countries in the top 10 ancestry groups. For example, for those who reported Chinese ancestry, 36% were born in China, 26% in Australia and 38% born in other countries. Of those who reported Indian ancestry, 61% were born in India, 20% in Australia and 19% born in other countries."

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/2071.0main+features902012-2013

would be a waste of time, effort and money applying it to euro groups when the demand/need for it is considerably less

Try not to be so hysterical and trigger happy with the racist card, you're only cheapening it and making future (real) cases of racism prone to being overlooked by associating it with irrationalism

If this girl can't get a high atar without doing 'harder' subjects then she's really quite unimpressive

Last edited:

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Same can be said for the Australian doing Chinese ...

The Australian person will have a disadvantage over the native chinese overseas students doing Chinese.
That would be impossible because the Chinese native will have to do Background or heritage while the Australia will be doing Chinese continuer.

Man we have been talking about this for three pages now, why are you so slow at understanding things.

Sarah_McF

HSC
can i just say that as me being an Australian Japanese person, i too have been told that i had to do Japanese heritage when i have lived in Australia all my life and only go back to Japan every year for holidays. the thing that i got caught up with was the fact that i spoke it at home with my mother. yes i do agree that it is somewhat unfair to the asian race but as it was mentioned before there are more of us as there are of European people (i dont mean that in a mean way i love you Europeans <3) BUT it still is one of my best subjects and i like the fact that it is challenging. that is my opinion anyway :p

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Hi Sarah

Why did your Mother and you admit to speaking Japanese at home on the declaration? It's not like the principal can call your Mother a liar if both of you deny the fact that you spoke Japanese at home with your Mother and said you learnt all your Japanese skills from the internet, manga and anime, the system can not get you. This is the biggest loophole we Asians can exploit.

PS, don't be naive, Japanese population is one of the smallest ethnic group in Australia. Italians, Arabs and Greeks and many times bigger than the Japanese population and they have higher birth rate too, there must be other reasons and it's obvious.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)