Racial discrimination in HSC language courses (1 Viewer)

Sarah_McF

HSC
Hi Sarah

Why did your Mother and you admit to speaking Japanese at home on the declaration? It's not like the principal can call your Mother a liar if both of you deny the fact that you spoke Japanese at home with your Mother and said you learnt all your Japanese skills from the internet, manga and anime, the system can not get you. This is the biggest loophole we Asians can exploit.

PS, don't be naive, Japanese population is one of the smallest ethnic group in Australia. Italians, Arabs and Greeks and many times bigger than the Japanese population and they have higher birth rate too, there must be other reasons and it's obvious.
well i would rather not lie about these things and be honest otherwise its only going to get complicated down the road. and i havent learnt things from the internet because i didnt and that would be lying .and just because we are a smaller population does not mean that we should be exploited against.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
guys, what do you think if we move to Victoria and do the VCE?

There is no background/heritage bullsh1t there.

It's either first language of second language.

And Mel U and Monash are better than Sydney, UNSW and MQ anyway.

Last edited:

financialwar

HSC
N/A
So you want to move your family to Victoria to do the VCE because you think the HSC is racist? It means that much to you?
It's not about Board of Studies, it's about ATAR maxisation.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
manipulate is a strong word.

Everything I'm doing is with the law and policy. The is no rule saying that citizen can not move between States to maximize their ATAR.

braintic

HSC
N/A
manipulate is a strong word.

Everything I'm doing is with the law and policy. The is no rule saying that citizen can not move between States to maximize their ATAR.
If you think all decisions to be made should only be based on what is lawful, then drag your sister away kicking and screaming from any friends she has, just so you can add .1 to her ATAR.

havana

HSC
N/A
You have raised a very valid observation, and I am surprised that many people here have missed the point that you are making here.

Interestingly a student did take this issue right up to the Tribunal for a hearing, but his case fell down on technicalities. He focused more on the correctness of an administrative decision by the Board of Studies rather than the possible discriminatory aspects of the eligibility criteria.
(Link here: http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/adtju...8234eb1b47786675ca25714c0005ebf7?opendocument)

Moreover, the question of whether of not there was indirect discrimination was not tested.

If you were or are enrolled in an Asian language for the HSC and have been disadvantaged by this requirement, I'd say go ahead and lodge a claim with the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board of possible indirect discrimination on the grounds of race.

The case described above had the potential to be a game changer, but failed because it was not argued effectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)