Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
HotShot said:
basically they can be nothing wrong in believing in god. Even if god doesnt exist, but the thing is what if he does, wouldnt it be better to the take chance just in case. Although there is some sort evidence that god exists, there is also evidence that he doesnt. so just believe in god and if he exists then great otherwise you lose nothing.

When i mention god, i mean your religion becuase i would be discriminating some reliogion and that is not good.
good point
i believe u got nothing to lose
but then again its not really belief if you dont sincerely believe

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
BE careful here, believing in god just because "You got nothing to loose" is kind of a risky statement, although i can see what ur implying. The whole thing sort of revolves around FAITH, now faith is simply not "believing"- i personally believe it goes deeper.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
faith

well what is faith? and what is believing?
yes two different things i guess one is a verb and the other is some english grammatical bs(i cant remember what thats called, noun?).
but anyway when believe in your faith, you should practise it. people still believe in thier faith and dont practice, well these people generally use the faith in goodness as in they take it as a guide to life, eg doing good things and not bad things.

basically all religion are the same, do something wrong get punished, do something rite get rewarded. praying is another common thing and so is visiting your place of worship.

what is important is not use religion for a purpose, as in terrorism, or making excuses of not attending certain place because of your religion. I feel that is wrong because you are using you religion to your advantage, and not respecting it. ?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
man written book

M-turkey said:
I'd like to see a non "man written book".

All religious books are written through humans. The Koran was written by Mohammad (well, he didnt actually write it, we recited it).

The Bible was written by humans, I believe that because it has a source from MANY humans that it makes it credible. Over a thousand years of scripture, and many authors, and it all points towards the same cause.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now this is a problem becuase anyone can write anything and claim it to be the words of god, the proof itself is the subject (the book itself) and therefore cannot be considered evidence. The only other proof is anyother source wirtten at the time, which i do not know of. It is argued the contents of the book (bible,quran....) contain many facts that were not known at the time. When you come to think of it the greeks were remarkably intelligent they knew hell lot of astronomy, maths and so did the egyptians and so on, so this too is questionable. Think of it like this the greeks knew about maths, but we can only know a little of history and what else did they know?

get_born

Hotshot, just want to add to the importance of religion. There are things in holy books that were known from thousands of years ago, that were only till recently discovered. In the library a book called 'This is the truth' Newly discovered scientific facts revealed In the Koran and Hadith-compiled by Abdullah M. Al-Rehaili, there is a hadith that says 'In every one of you, all components of your creation are gathered together in your mother's womb by 40 days' Now scientists have discovered only recently with the technology of ultrasound that during the first 40 days of gestation, all the body parts and organs are completely, though consecutively formed. Now in that study of religion period I became interested in the fact that the Quran had these facts from about 1500 years ago, and scientists have only discovered al of this up untill recently.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
last_chance said:
Hotshot, just want to add to the importance of religion. There are things in holy books that were known from thousands of years ago, that were only till recently discovered. In the library a book called 'This is the truth' Newly discovered scientific facts revealed In the Koran and Hadith-compiled by Abdullah M. Al-Rehaili, there is a hadith that says 'In every one of you, all components of your creation are gathered together in your mother's womb by 40 days' Now scientists have discovered only recently with the technology of ultrasound that during the first 40 days of gestation, all the body parts and organs are completely, though consecutively formed. Now in that study of religion period I became interested in the fact that the Quran had these facts from about 1500 years ago, and scientists have only discovered al of this up untill recently.
theres actually a heap of scientifically prooven things which are in the koran and have been for the past 1424 years..since the koran was revealed its been there
and people only today have discovered it
its amazing really...

HotShot

-_-
HSC
yes thats what i mean, things like this science, astronomy and maths have been long discovered before and if not were some ancient writers i doubt we would got this far. Where as the koran virtually told the future in a sense because they didnt know it before at least from the evidence no writer has claimed about it and only now we realise it. But the possibility of it being known before still exists, just the think of the achievements that has taken place in the past, the pyramids is a good example.

get_born

Its pretty cool... are there any other holy books that have known things, which scientist have only discovered like recently?

truestar

HSC
well den... i say bring BACK THE NAZIS... na jks...

on a more serious note...

I LIKE NINJA

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i guess the bible and the genesis, as well even though they are very similar. Nearly all the religions have something that they knew well before it was discovered. Buddhism as well i think.

get_born

HotShot said:
i guess the bible and the genesis, as well even though they are very similar. Nearly all the religions have something that they knew well before it was discovered. Buddhism as well i think.
Maybe. But like it would be interesting to find real details and examples.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Irreligious, faith at large does not appeal to me in the slightest.
If one does not have faith in oneself how are they meant to have faith in a higher being (God, Jesus, Buddha etc).....i think in life it is important to have a little faith in some things it doesn't have to necessarily involve religion although many people believe it does.

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
If one does not have faith in oneself how are they meant to have faith in a higher being (God, Jesus, Buddha etc).....i think in life it is important to have a little faith in some things it doesn't have to necessarily involve religion although many people believe it does.
True, perhaps I haven't chosen my words carefully enough. I was referring to faith specifically in the religious sense. More generally, I have faith in my own capacity to make morally sound decisions, faith in my friends and family, things like that, just none at all in relation to religion.

get_born

soha said:
this is a website that has scientific miracles in the holy quaran
its talks about things only recently discovered by science that have existed in the quaran for ages

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch1-1.htm
chek it out if that is what you so desire
its an interesting website. Its similar to the text i once looked at when i used to do studies of religion in yr 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)