Syd Uni Scholarships (1 Viewer)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
I haven't gotten anything as yet. And I'm not waiting for them either.

The University of Sydney can go stick their scholarships up their @ss. I'd much prefer to go to a different uni anyway. When I'm successful and rich I will personally visit the Scholarships Unit and laugh in their faces.

...and no, there's no anger here. Just clarity. :)

Last edited:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i believe the ecos and bus faculty is very very slow with their scholarships

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
heh, haven't heard yet? you should ring up. don't people usually find out on uai day or very soon after?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, i talked to scholarship unit a while back..they said i was shortlisted..but no word wotsoever from the comm fac

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
yeah, i talked to scholarship unit a while back..they said i was shortlisted..but no word wotsoever from the comm fac
they tell you if you're shortlisted??!?!

did u call up the phone number on the envelope?? and when?

I should just ring them up and make the rejection quicker and easier.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
actually, i live really close to usyd, so i went there in person and talked to the lady, but i'm sure u can ring up. its at the back of the brochure with the original application in it. but even so, the lady told me to contact the relevant faculty, which in my case is the ecos and bus faculty, but they weren't so helpful

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
ok, actually, i received a letter today from the faculty, offering me one of thos one-off 3k scholarships, only problem is i don't know if i can accept it seeing they've already offered me an 'outstanding achievement in HSC' scholarship :(

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
got a letter today from eco's/business faculty....one of 30 "with merit" scholarships for $5000, there are also ten distinction ones for $10000. still haven't heard about the merit/distinction ones for the general uni, pigs is that what they told you you were shortlisted for?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
wot was the title, mine was 'the universit of sydney one-off entry award', which i think is the lowest of the general uni scholarships, whereas urs sounds like a faculty scholarship

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
cheers. yeah mine is a faculty of business and eco's scholarship.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, that's wot i thought..
hmmm...so u've received notice for faculty scholarships but not the general ones, and i'm the other way round

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
so I suppose a rejection letter is on its way over for me shortly.

Sydney Uni just makes me laugh.

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
pigs, presumably because i got rejected for a general and you for a faculty, and rejection letters for those who were shortlisted come mid-january (think i read that somewhere).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I got my rejection letter from the arts faculty today (not surprising because I didn't even get the UAI for the course).... but it said I was short listed and blabbed on how I was in the top group of students or something... then they probably saw my UAI lol.

tycoontyphoon

Originally posted by walla
pigs, presumably because i got rejected for a general and you for a faculty, and rejection letters for those who were shortlisted come mid-january (think i read that somewhere).
The general university scholarships are delivered through the faculties in most cases, hence they follow the same framework

$8000 pa x 5 = distinction

$5000 pa x 5 = merit

$3000 = entry scholarships

I think though, from looking at the scholarships brochure, that the faculty of business is offering a few more of their own scholarships, no doubt b/c they have the money to do so.

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
tycoontyphoon are you sure that is the case...because that is not the same framework for the business faculties. aside from having a lot more, as you said, the distinction ones are greater value and there are equity scholarships that last the whole duration of the course, not entry scholarships, as the third level.

i think the general scholarships are separate from the faculty scholarships.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Just out of curiosity, how many people do you think approx would have been shortlisted in each faculty?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
general scholarships are different to faculty ones, but the general ones are decided by the relevant faculty, eg. if u applied for B arts, then the arts faculty would decide on ur application. i think this is confusing. i do know the ecos and bus faculty offers 10k scholarships for 3 years, and 5k scholarships for 3 years. these are different to the usyd scholarships with distinction (8k for duration of degree), and with merit (5k for duration of degree)

Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Just out of curiosity, how many people do you think approx would have been shortlisted in each faculty?
i'd say about 30 or 40, just to cover ppl who don't accept

Originally posted by walla
rejection letters come mid-january at the latest i think, from the brochure anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)