Syd Uni Scholarships (1 Viewer)

tycoontyphoon

I'm not 100% sure walla, in fact, i think pigs is pretty much right that the university ones are delivered trhough faculties. the ppl i know that have them and are getting them all speak of them as though they're delivered through a particular faculty.

That said, t'would be nice if i was wrong as the larger the pie is the larger and the more plentiful the slices.

P.s just out of interest walla, did you apply specifically to ecos business or just lodge one of the general forms?

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
mmm perhaps they are delivered through faculties usually but the eco's faculty just does its own thing.

i applied for a general one but i have a vague recollection of putting down economic and social sciences with law as a course. does anyone know of someone who's got one of the 10k ones...i want to know whether they did economics at school...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
basically, everyone had to nominate a course for the general usyd scholarships. then ur application gets sent to the relevant faculty and then they consider it. then this faculty will also automatically consider u for any faculty scholarships on offer. so for eg. if u nominated comm/law, the ecos and bus faculty considers u for general scholarships as well as faculty scholarships offered by the ecos and bus faculty.

Originally posted by walla
mmm perhaps they are delivered through faculties usually but the eco's faculty just does its own thing.

i applied for a general one but i have a vague recollection of putting down economic and social sciences with law as a course. does anyone know of someone who's got one of the 10k ones...i want to know whether they did economics at school...
i think they'd just do it on academic merit, ie. uai, cos ecos is not a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for any courses offered by the faculty of ecos and bus. but if this is the case, why didn't i get offered any faculty scholarships :(

tycoontyphoon

Isn't the idea with the general ones (which we now seem to agree are delivered through faculties !) that they're not on academic merit? In fact, i heard that they're decided before results come out and uais are merely used to confirm them. I know someone that has an 8k distinction one, for example, that only just scraped together 98. I think as well that the 8k ones are directed to interstate and rural and regional students, largely due to the absence of many college scholarships. Maybe they're the types that got the 10k ones walla?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by tycoontyphoon
Isn't the idea with the general ones (which we now seem to agree are delivered through faculties !) that they're not on academic merit? In fact, i heard that they're decided before results come out and uais are merely used to confirm them. I know someone that has an 8k distinction one, for example, that only just scraped together 98. I think as well that the 8k ones are directed to interstate and rural and regional students, largely due to the absence of many college scholarships. Maybe they're the types that got the 10k ones walla?

yeah, the general ones are aimed at all-rounders, as long as u can get above 98, academic ability is covered. then they look at other stuff like sport, leadership, community, etc.

with the faculty ones for ecos and bus, from wot walla says and from the brochure, they're based on academic merit, which would suggest uai or some similar index.

i dun think the general ones r aimed at rural, cos they have specific scholarships for that. location doesn't matter for general ones.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
can someone please clarify this for me then - should everyone who usyd has offerred any scholarships to have received them by now? And if we haven't received an offer, does it mean that we should expect rejection letters mid-Jan?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
not necessarily, i think they usually send out rejection letters first. if u haven't received anything, then i think ur in for a good chance...just sit tight and wait

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly

i'd say about 30 or 40, just to cover ppl who don't accept
Great... just another thing that my mediocre UAI has robbed me of....I'll try not to be bitter and twisted about this when I am cleaning up people's food that they have thrown around at 4.30am in the morning because I need the money.....

This has not been my past few weeks....

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
sorry to mislead you guys about the eco's ones, they aren't done only on academic merit. it says pretty clearly in my letter that it's judged on the attributes pigs described.

so somebody tell me please, if it appears i have received a general scholarship, THROUGH the eco's faculty, what do you think is the chance of me going to the uni and asking for it in another faculty, considering i now want to do science/law and not eco social sciences/law?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
hmmm...ok if u got a general scholarship ie. the usyd scholarship with merit rite? then maybe the ecos and bus faculty hasn't offered faculty ones yet...*fingers crossed*

i dunno. first u have to make ur nominated course. then if u decide u want to transfer, then it would be up to the dean's discretion....i think rj asks the same thing in his thread

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
pigs my scholarship letter has eco's and business written all over it. you guys were the ones that told me it was actually a general one being granted THROUGH the faculty.

would it be up to the dean of the receiving faculty or the "leaving" faculty?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
ok i dunno, but my general scholarhsip was from ecos and bus faclty and signed by the dean...so

i think the receiving faculty but not sure, ask around on monday

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Great... just another thing that my mediocre UAI has robbed me of....I'll try not to be bitter and twisted about this when I am cleaning up people's food that they have thrown around at 4.30am in the morning because I need the money.....

This has not been my past few weeks....
where the hell do you work?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
At my parents pizza shop which is open all night.... it's all good until about 1.30am then things get crazy.....

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
At my parents pizza shop which is open all night.... it's all good until about 1.30am then things get crazy.....
yummm, free pizza!!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
In any case, I've e-mailed them, I expect a quick response (I.e. TODAY!).
Well it came. I got the entry level scholarship, $3000 for 1 year. And today, I got an e-mail saying I got the merit level one. Sweet, 25g's. (Well assuming I adhere to the terms).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)