Votes: 119 50.4%
  • NSW

Votes: 117 49.6%

• Total voters

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by jessika
never ever telling anyone my uai :p but um yeah, any general indication? like what if I get credits and distinctions this year for law, will it count at usyd?
You won't get any special consideration for having done law subjects - it will just mean you won't have to catch them up later (if you are successful in transferring).

Generally, if you get all credits, your GPA (grade point average) will be 5.0. If you get half distinctions half credits, it will be 5.5. If you get all distinctions, it will be 6.0.

When you apply to transfer, your GPA is converted to a selection rank (which is comparable to a UAI).

GPA - Rank
6.50 - 99.5
6.25 - 97
6.00 - 96
5.75 - 94
5.50 - 93
5.25 - 91
5.00 - 89

(there are a lot more intermediate ranks, but too many to list here)

This selection rank is averaged with your UAI to give your non-recent school leaver (NRSL) rank.

Finally, when you attempt to transfer, your NRSL rank is compared against the NRSL ranks of everyone who is trying to transfer, and the NRSL cut-off becomes the NRSL rank of the last person who was accepted (the same way as if you were applying in first year with your UAI).

The NRSL cut-offs for combined law at USyd have previously been:

2002 - Main Round: 95.35
2003 - Main Round: 96.47
2003 - Late Round: 96.65

Sorry to include all those technical details above, but the NRSL cut-offs would have made no sense without it. :)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
hey thanks for the info. it helps those of us who r trying 2 transfer

jessika

law chicky
HSC
so laz, will that mean I have to repeat 1st year law again, but just not doing the subjects Ive already done. meh, so confused damn 8 am lecture.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There are only two first-year law subjects anyway... torts and foundations of law (some universities have a different name for this second one, or split it up into two smaller subjects).

If you transfer and you haven't done any law, you'll do more law and less of your other degree in second year. But that's okay, because you did more of your other degree in first-year. By the end of second-year you should be around about equal with everyone who did law from the beginning.

If you take 'matching' first-year law subjects this year, and then successfully transfer, you should be able to get credit for having done them, and so won't have to catch them up during second-year.

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
Originally posted by user
NSW is full of asians.
do u do commerce/economics/law?

i would say if u only do courses in those subjects, then yeh, you'd have classes full of asians.

but outside of those classes, you see a lot of different nationalities, and imo, it doesn't feel as if asians are taking over UNSW.

from Laz's posts about USyd, i'd very much prefer UNSW's atmosphere of fun, relaxation and acceptance of every single student's views and beliefs, than USyd's "excessive number of pompous and arrogant students". but then again, if a person wants to be like that, then it's their choice ... and i know not all USyders are like that :)

with travelling to UNSW, yeh, you do have to travel farther than a lot of uni's, but hey, bus rides are fun! :D you can chat to a total stranger, have fun hanging on to the poles for dear life as the bus stops and starts, observe people, and listen into conversations! :p

muldersgun

HSC
yo soul

hey thanks for the replies soul and user. I want to do comm/law cause i want something solid to fall back on, cause y'know film ain't a stable profession. I pretty much want to pursue it as a hobby.

I was wondering what does unsw offer in terms of co-curricular activities for those interested in film? I know there's filmsoc at sydney but i heard that they don't really do much in terms of making films etc.

Soul

New Title...
hmm muldersgun

Um, yeah thats ok,

well actually today i transferred to Arts/Law to do film and other fun stuff - I can't enjoy the maths in commerce (functions, differentiation, real numbers etc) - :rolleyes:

Just want to add that you shouldn't be too afraid to do what you are comfortable with... commerce OR arts

The fact that you are doing a law degree with it is the point! that'll get you hired, comm or arts is really just a side-dish and in my case, frankly i'd rather enjoy doing subjects that i actually find interesting and get high marks in!

so don't stress too much, comm or arts combo - i suggest you pick what you are interested in otherwise you may find yourself asking: "What the f*ck am i doing!" 1/2 way through!

so whatever you choose is ok in this case - just make sure you want to do it!
BTW: COM = NO FILM, & FEW TO NO FILM CLUBS I'VE CURRENTLY FOUND for EXTRA CURRIC...

PPS: FUnkyFlava has hit it right on the nail head there - totally agree mate!

Last edited:

1 more

fructis
HSC
Re: hmm muldersgun

Originally posted by Soul

well actually today i transferred to Arts/Law
Soul, what other arts subjects did you choose?

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
:p lol except it's pretty weird when u make eye contact with em ... u don't wanna look like a weirdo stalker or something :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
but its kinda cool wen the person u make eye contact with is of the opp. sex :p

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
There are only two first-year law subjects anyway... torts and foundations of law (some universities have a different name for this second one, or split it up into two smaller subjects).

If you transfer and you haven't done any law, you'll do more law and less of your other degree in second year. But that's okay, because you did more of your other degree in first-year. By the end of second-year you should be around about equal with everyone who did law from the beginning.

If you take 'matching' first-year law subjects this year, and then successfully transfer, you should be able to get credit for having done them, and so won't have to catch them up during second-year.

thanks for that its makes more sense know.

by the way, Im already doing combined law, so I dont need to take 'matching' subjects, I just wanna transfer outta here.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Where is Macquarie in this poll

IMHO its the best UNI for Business courses and i have been told this by numerous ppl in the workforce and at school

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
This is the break down for Uni

SYDNEY: Science and Medicine
UNSW: Engineering
Maquarie: Business
UTS: Engineering and Computers
UWS: Anything else it has wide range of subjects and quite flexible with low UAI, but not considered that good so not really an option.

My father is a Pharmist and went to SYD and its true you can't go on the grass in the main Quad
My Cousin Who now works in Singapore and was youngest bank manager for a comm bank went to Macquarie

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
actually you can go on the grass...ihave many times lol

look unsw and usyd which is better depends on what courses u wanna take, got o both open days talk to the lecturers about WHAT U WANNA STUDY and they will telll u wheres best for u, the guys at nsw told me flat DO NOT COME HERE beacuase im an ancient history major

there very nice and dont bite! i havent noticed many pompous people at usyd everyone is normally exceeding nice and friendly...lol maybe we just tend to close ranks on other like most unis cos were proud of where we go to

unsw is nice...i like it but it wasnt the best place for what i wanna sudy and u should probebrly let that guide u, beacuse unsw and usyd are pretty even on the "good" factor!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
UAI cut-offs don't really mean that much, it just the popularity and places offered by a Uni. If a UNI offers more places but has the same amount of people enrolling to it as a UNi that has lower acceptance places, the one with less spots has the higher UAI. It doesn't mean its a better course, especially when i have noticed on these forums and at school that it is usually the parents who choose which uni their child should go to, and they usually pick Sydney or UNSW cause their older.

mimiian

HSC
Sydney Uni

Sydney is more prestigious, at least ppl in foreign countries know where is Sydney, they have no clue what is NSW

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
shelley said:
actually you can go on the grass...ihave many times lol

look unsw and usyd which is better depends on what courses u wanna take, got o both open days talk to the lecturers about WHAT U WANNA STUDY and they will telll u wheres best for u, the guys at nsw told me flat DO NOT COME HERE beacuase im an ancient history major

there very nice and dont bite! i havent noticed many pompous people at usyd everyone is normally exceeding nice and friendly...lol maybe we just tend to close ranks on other like most unis cos were proud of where we go to

unsw is nice...i like it but it wasnt the best place for what i wanna sudy and u should probebrly let that guide u, beacuse unsw and usyd are pretty even on the "good" factor!
No i think it's because they hated u, but anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)