The Football Thread (2 Viewers)

rhcpfox1

HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

costargh said:
Without a youth/reserves system, the A-League will not be able to grow and sustain a professional career objective for upcoming young Australian players. Expansion of the A-League to say... a 12 team competition within the next 5 years is also important to gaining some credibility to the league.

I agree. But expand too soon and we'll have another NZ Knights situation. Poorly supported, poorly funded, poorly managed, poor performing teams that cannot cut it against the established clubs. I think Expansion to a 10 club league should be the first goal, another Melb. team (which I think already has plans afoot) and possibly a team like Woollongong (sp?) or something. A youth league is also important, but currently the Institutes of Sport play their young teams against State League sides, which is better than nothing. I'd love to see a youth A-League, but the costs of implementing it will at present probably prevent it happening as it isnt the most economically viable option for the A-league. Few more years, some big sponsorship deals and exposure to the Asian Market and who knows what can happen?

veridis

droog
HSC

rhcpfox1 said:
Oh and, Terry McFlynn... Northern Irish isn't he?I dont really think he's raising the standard of the league too much, you could just as well fill the CM spot with Milligan now that Popovic has signed. Milligan and Talay > McFlynn
i completely agree, while i've come to like mcflynn at the time i thought he was a waste of an import slot. of course given that he's established in the squad and is in the process of getting naturalised i want to keep him now, but if terry had a clone back at morecambe and he expressed an interest to come i'd definitely be saying no.

costargh you've hit the nail on the head. the aleague just isnt big enough to develop our young players in any significant numbers, which is why i'm saying, fringe players should be our young blokes, imports should be the exceptions like fred, dwight, carbone and qu that really do add something to the league

HSC

well you can easily gauge how australia's youth is going by loooking at their u-20's results. lets just say they aren't that great, and if you want to be challenging for the world cup in say 20 years, you really need to implement a good system, which we currently lack. also, the majority of a-league based players would not be able to make the step up to national duty.

brebner was a star last year. star does not mean one of the top 3 or 4 players in the squad. does that mean that someone like joe cole or ricardo carvahlo are not stars??? they aren't in chelsea's top 3 or 4 players, so i guess not. so i'm thinking if brebner were to play for sydney, he'd then automatically be classed as a star, because he's one of the top 4 players???

yes, i did base my argument around that. how else was i supposed to??? i was just showing his potential that he still possesss.

and lol at trying to bag hernandez, cos he's too good. imo that would be better for broxham and patafta. gives them an incentive to train that little bit harder and put pressure on him for that first team birth. they have to learn that they can't just expect to walk into a team simply because they are the next generation of socceroos. and i guess, the same could be said about dwight yorke or your next marquee. won't he take gametime away from sydney's youngsters?

well, sydney definetely could improve player recruitment. when you compare the players we've brought in, compared to you, i'm sure you'd agree that you defintely could improve. a world cup player compared to a guy who's played 11 games for lowly placed US team??? i know which one i'd prefer.

veridis

droog
HSC

*yawn*
brebner was not a star last season. i'll quote my initial comments again "brebner is a solid squad player but not a star" he played much the same role as talay in v1, both are decent players, but were made to look better by the players around them, both were in the top 2 or 3 midfielders in the season their team won the toilet seat, neither are true stars.
i never bagged hernandez, i've never seen him play so wont judge, but you've never seen him play and have creamed your pants. all i did was question the wisdom of signing 2 of the best young creative midfield prospects, while also signing a recognised creative midfielder who will keep the youngsters on the bench. sydney have made more recruiting mistakes than victory this season, but i think your team is very top heavy and lacks depth in the centre of the park. if muscat or brebner is out for some reason you'll have to either play a defender in mid and lose some of the integration between attack and defence that you were so good at last season, or restructure your team to play with more men in attacknig positions. oh and world cup player(hernandez) vs world cup player(poppa), once more you show you're a stupid fuck.
i acknowledge that sydney can improve, you refuse to acknowledge that victory could do the same and that the recruitment policies followed by all aleague clubs dont differ that much.

rhcpfox1

HSC

veridis said:
*yawn*
brebner was not a star last season. i'll quote my initial comments again "brebner is a solid squad player but not a star" he played much the same role as talay in v1, both are decent players, but were made to look better by the players around them, both were in the top 2 or 3 midfielders in the season their team won the toilet seat, neither are true stars.
i never bagged hernandez, i've never seen him play so wont judge, but you've never seen him play and have creamed your pants. all i did was question the wisdom of signing 2 of the best young creative midfield prospects, while also signing a recognised creative midfielder who will keep the youngsters on the bench. sydney have made more recruiting mistakes than victory this season, but i think your team is very top heavy and lacks depth in the centre of the park. if muscat or brebner is out for some reason you'll have to either play a defender in mid and lose some of the integration between attack and defence that you were so good at last season, or restructure your team to play with more men in attacknig positions. oh and world cup player(hernandez) vs world cup player(poppa), once more you show you're a stupid fuck.
i acknowledge that sydney can improve, you refuse to acknowledge that victory could do the same and that the recruitment policies followed by all aleague clubs dont differ that much.
I think that if Brebner or Muscat were out injured, we'd have Milicevic move into the centre of the park, and in the event both Brebs and Muscat were out we'd have Milicevic and Broxham. Also, Pantelidis is comfortable in the centre of the park. In that event those boys are pushed into midfield we still have Vargas and Leijer at centre back, and if one of them is out Piorkowski can cover.

I dont see how our squad is top heavy. Out of 9 players that can be considered midfielders in our squad, 5 of them (Muscat, Brebner, Broxham, Milicevic and Pentelidis) are centre park players (the others being Patafta, Berger, Hernandez and Caceres)
Our wings were our problem areas last season as well as a lack of striking depth. We've addressed this with the signings of Patafta and Berger, and the new Loan deal for striker Leandro Love.

I agree though that if we were to lose Muscat/Brebs we would lose some of the cohesion between defense and attack, we don't lack the depth as we have 3 recognised CM's to play in their position if we were to lose them to injury. In a squad of twenty players that's not so bad.

Also we have 3 goalkeepers, Eugene must be on his way out... cos apparently Langerak is looking the goods...even though Victory put 5 past him when we beat South Melbourne...

veridis

droog
HSC

broxham is more attacking, or has at least shown more attacking quality in his few aleague appearances so far. as for milicevic and pentelidis they were the players i referred to with the "defender in mid" comment and i'll say again i reckon with either of those boys there you'd have DMs trying to push forward not true IMs. while both of them have good distribution for defenders neither of them are good enough and choosing the right passes to set up attacking plays. you'd be left with a very seperate attacking and defensive halves. the reason you guys caned it last season was that your play was so flowing and it you didn't have to force your play through fred. with a midfield pairing of milicevic and broxham you'll have one mid in front of the other rather than both doing the full defensive and offensive work.
i agree depth up front was a possible weak point last season(luckily no major injuries there) but i think you've over compensated at the moment. 3 CMs vs 5 strikers(your counts, i'd say 2 vs 4). it's not a major thing and is much better than the situation SFC had last season(i so wanted to see pasfield get game time out on the park) and if you're lucky with injuries again it shouldn't be an issue but i think a bit of perspective is needed and you have to think, "ok where can MV still improve" not "omg MV is perfect"

Last edited:
HSC

veridis said:
oh and world cup player(hernandez) vs world cup player(poppa), once more you show you're a stupid fuck.
oh yeah....real sorry i forgot. poppas 34 and hernandez is 25. yep poppa definetely >>>>> hernandez. sorry for the mix up!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

veridis

droog
HSC

genius, no actualy point but if you use enough smileys people might not notice. you didnt realise we also bought a world cup player and now look like a dick. start discussing things properly or shut the fuck up

HSC

veridis said:
genius, no actualy point but if you use enough smileys people might not notice. you didnt realise we also bought a world cup player and now look like a dick. start discussing things properly or shut the fuck up
well my point was that hernandez is better than popovic, you haven't actually addressed this argument, or its just gone straight over your head like a lot of my other arguments you have conveniently ignored. why i have no idea :S and i sorta did. just forgot cos he only played like one game lol, and i was initially concentrating on your crap US import cos we originally talking about them. but ok since i'm not discussing things 'properly' i shall summarise my arguments in dot points for you.

1) He is 34 and PAST the twilight of his career.
2) May be off the pace due to coming from Saudi Arabian club. Don't know how they play over there, but I'm sure it's nothing like the A-League. Might also be of lesser quality.
3) Hernandez was the second top scorer for Costa Rica in their World Cup campaign, only behind Wanchope.
4) Melbourne Victory Scouting >> Sydney FC Scouting because we found Spiranovic. Oh yeah remember him??? The one at Nurnberg and getting regular gametime along with Beauchamp?? Yeah......

veridis

droog
HSC

i never said poppa was equal to hernandez, but you tried to criticise SFCs recruitment policy by implying that MV was recruiting world up players while SFC was only getting US rejects, you conviniently ignored that fact that SFC also got world cup players and MV also got rejects. you word you posts sneakily to ignore the fact that hernandez didn't actualy play in the world cup, just the quallifiers, you ignore the fact poppa played for a team that came 2nd in their group but hernandez's team came last. you point is that you dont know shit about the actual situation but like to make comparisons that arent valid
1)true
2)how did saudi clubs go in ACL? how did aleague clubs? once mroe you show you're
3)all his goals came in quallifying
4)you really have to read. i never said SFCs scouting was better than victorys, or even as good as victorys. i just said that it wasn't much different from any other aleague team in the world scale of things. SFCs is probably a 2 or 3 out of 10, MVs probably a 5, the other aleague clubs 3 or 4. we all have a lot to do to improve. but instead of arguing critically you blindly say "OMG my club is teh ownz0r". you found spiranovic, then you let him go back to AIS for a year after which he left and proved himself in europe. i'd say that it was a big mistake not signing him, but you know you're dillusional about everything else too, i won't stop you here.

HSC

veridis said:
i never said poppa was equal to hernandez, but you tried to criticise SFCs recruitment policy by implying that MV was recruiting world up players while SFC was only getting US rejects, you conviniently ignored that fact that SFC also got world cup players and MV also got rejects. you word you posts sneakily to ignore the fact that hernandez didn't actualy play in the world cup, just the quallifiers, you ignore the fact poppa played for a team that came 2nd in their group but hernandez's team came last. you point is that you dont know shit about the actual situation but like to make comparisons that arent valid
1)true
2)how did saudi clubs go in ACL? how did aleague clubs? once mroe you show you're
3)all his goals came in quallifying
4)you really have to read. i never said SFCs scouting was better than victorys, or even as good as victorys. i just said that it wasn't much different from any other aleague team in the world scale of things. SFCs is probably a 2 or 3 out of 10, MVs probably a 5, the other aleague clubs 3 or 4. we all have a lot to do to improve. but instead of arguing critically you blindly say "OMG my club is teh ownz0r". you found spiranovic, then you let him go back to AIS for a year after which he left and proved himself in europe. i'd say that it was a big mistake not signing him, but you know you're dillusional about everything else too, i won't stop you here.
so you admit that hernandez is better than popovic? i was critisizing sydney's insistence to keep on attempting to sign big names who are old hacks to draw in crowds, rather than playing attractive football. lol most melbourne rejects >> sydney fc players. from our starting line up every player except muscat is 28 or under and even most of our squad players are youngsters. its amazing how much improvement this team has in it. only muscat can claim to be past his best (although some people are saying he is in career best form) ok so you have an US reject and a 34 year old who played 40 minutes of a game in the world cup. woop de doo. compare that with the signings that melbourne victory have made which has players coming into their prime aswell as youth. Syndey FC signing Matthew Bingley on a short term deal to replace Middleby for 4 weeks is a prime example. Why not bring a young guy in, who may take his chance and be a hit, rather than a 35 year old? all i was saying is that the quality of victory's players is much better than sydney's. do you agree or not??? its not a hard question. haha, and then here you are, trying to imply that because australia went well and costa rica crap therefore popa must be awesome, but hernandez shit. yerp nice argument.

in regards to point 2. there is no correlation between a good showing by a country in the ACL or world cup and their domestic league. and you fail to recognise that there are many other factors that effect football games. lack of preparation, cohesian between players and general tiredness all play a part. saudi arabia's players may have been training for months leading up to the games, and may have had a prolonged rest due to their domestic league fininshing early (i don't know if this is true) however, if a squad made of a-league players coming together and began training a few months after the a-league concluded, i'm sure they would have done just as well.

it is true that hernandez only played a part in the qualifiers but he was influential in helping costa rica reach the finals, and thats no mean feat, finishing third after the US and Mexico. when guimaraes took over, i have no idea why he didn't play him.

haha, then suggest how victory could improve their squad please. haha oh yeah i forgot, we have too many midfielders, and their all DM's according to you, and if our half of our first team get injured then were stuffed. nice.

spiranovic was let go by ernie, simply because there was not enough room for him in the squad. remember this was in 2005 when he was 16, surely not physically mature enough to grace the a-league. at least ernie recognised his talent and gave him an opportunity. what have sydney done??? gone and bought mediocre talent. great stuff :) i applaud you!!!

veridis

droog
HSC

have you seen hernandez play? shut the fuck up about him. claudinho was meant to be better than fred, that hardly worked out did it. hernandez will be a good player no doubt, but until you see him play your judgement is just based on the fact he is a "big name", something you criticise SFC for doing. MV rejects>SFC players? you're trying to claim keenan, who couldnt cut it in a team that just escaped relegation in eredivisie is better than milligan? let me guess you think sarkies is shit now he's at AU now too. stop being a stupid fanboy.

no correlation between asian champions league and domestic league? WTF are you smoking. the asian champions league is competein by domestic teams. once again you show you know fuck all. you think that asian champions league = asian cup. the saudi league is stronger, more established and has a much bigger budget than the aleague. please if you want to circle jerk over the MV go to their forums, stay out of this thread unless you actually learn something about football. get over your little obsession and start to view the bigger picture.

i know hernandez is a good player and did well in qualification, but you're the one who started all the "world cup player" bullshit. i was merely pointing out how much bullshit those types of arguments are. you should wait till you actualy see him play before writing all your shit about how he's the best player ever.

ok if you think MV is the perfect squad then it's obvious you're fucking blind. best squad yes, perfect squad no.

wtf is with your last paragraph. i acknowledge SFC fuck up, but you dont acknowledge MV can do the same. you say SFC shoudl recruit young talent then say it's ok for merrick to let spira go because he was too young. he's ripping bundasliga at 18, i'm sure he would have been decent backup in aleague at 16, would have been pushing for starting place at 17 and you'd have one of the best defenders in the league by now. everyone can fuck up, stop being an ignorant little fanboy and realise that there's more to the world of football than what muscat writes about in the age.

HSC

veridis said:
have you seen hernandez play? shut the fuck up about him. claudinho was meant to be better than fred, that hardly worked out did it. hernandez will be a good player no doubt, but until you see him play your judgement is just based on the fact he is a "big name", something you criticise SFC for doing. MV rejects>SFC players? you're trying to claim keenan, who couldnt cut it in a team that just escaped relegation in eredivisie is better than milligan? let me guess you think sarkies is shit now he's at AU now too. stop being a stupid fanboy.

no correlation between asian champions league and domestic league? WTF are you smoking. the asian champions league is competein by domestic teams. once again you show you know fuck all. you think that asian champions league = asian cup. the saudi league is stronger, more established and has a much bigger budget than the aleague. please if you want to circle jerk over the MV go to their forums, stay out of this thread unless you actually learn something about football. get over your little obsession and start to view the bigger picture.

i know hernandez is a good player and did well in qualification, but you're the one who started all the "world cup player" bullshit. i was merely pointing out how much bullshit those types of arguments are. you should wait till you actualy see him play before writing all your shit about how he's the best player ever.

ok if you think MV is the perfect squad then it's obvious you're fucking blind. best squad yes, perfect squad no.

wtf is with your last paragraph. i acknowledge SFC fuck up, but you dont acknowledge MV can do the same. you say SFC shoudl recruit young talent then say it's ok for merrick to let spira go because he was too young. he's ripping bundasliga at 18, i'm sure he would have been decent backup in aleague at 16, would have been pushing for starting place at 17 and you'd have one of the best defenders in the league by now. everyone can fuck up, stop being an ignorant little fanboy and realise that there's more to the world of football than what muscat writes about in the age.
haha your funny.....and easy to upset. i've seen highlights of hernandez @ the world cup and for his club. he's good :) who said claudinho was better than fred?? source please. oh yeah, and you forgot fred did seem to work out didn't it??? haha hernandez a big name, i never said that. all i said was that he has proven class and is coming into his prime??? a big name compared to okocha, cocu, fowler, vieri???? HAHAHAHAHA. you really are funny. we'll see whose better outta keenan and miligan this season. haha sarkies didn't really have much time to shine @ victory.

haha other than that, theres not much to address. all just insults due to a lack of argument :) cheers.

edit-longer establishment and bigger budgets mean jack all.

edit 2-would you seriously sign a 16 year for a a-league team after a solid performance in a friendly??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats funny. easier said than done in hindsight mate.

edit 3-can you like address all of my arguments, instead of ignoring some and attacking others??? its unfair :(

Last edited:
HSC

Kaz Just Wants To Be The Best
By Simon Chiarelli
Jul 26 2007 21:37

Touted as the golden child of Australian football, Kaz Patafta is proclaimed as the once in a generation talent. He is the ‘it’ player of local football.
The heir-apparent to superstar Harry Kewell was signed by former European Champions, Benfica, at the tender age of 16.

And ever since, for much of the past two years, Patafta has been shouldering the expectations of the Australian football community.

Possessing brilliant awareness and sublime ball control, Patafta’s composure on the ball and on-field demeanour indicates a maturity beyond his tender years.

In fact, such is his leadership potential that Patafta was appointed captain of the Joeys for their 2005 World Cup campaign.

But despite the plaudits from pundits around the nation, the Canberra-born midfielder denies feeling the burden associated with being The Next Big Thing.

“I don’t feel the pressure at all,” he says. “I’m just trying to be the best player I can be and live up to my potential.

"Hopefully I can play at the highest level and obviously play a role with the Socceroos. I just want to continue along my path. Every player has their own pathway.”

After making three appearances for Benfica last season, Patafta was farmed out to Melbourne for the fast approaching A-League season.

It's an attempt to secure him first-team football and build a platform towards a regular starting position with the Portuguese giants in 2008.

As he left for Europe during the formative stages of the competition, Patafta was unaware of football’s sudden rise in the mainstream psyche.

And he has been taken aback by the professionalism of the A-League.

“To be honest, I was very surprised by the facilities here and what Victory provided,” he says.

“It’s really professional and I think people would be surprised that the A-League clubs, especially Melbourne, can match these clubs in Europe.

"The big difference is cultural obviously, but in terms of facilities, we are right up there. I’m really enjoying it here. The facilities are awesome.

"I left for Portugal just as the A-League was starting so I had no idea what the standard was like, so it was a surprise to see that the standard of football is improving in Australia.”

While the opportunity to ply their trade with a club of Benfica’s calibre would be career defining for some, Patafta is focused on forging a career in Europe’s top leagues, although he does acknowledge the magnitude of his achievement.

“To be able to play with a club like Benfica is a dream. I went there when I was quite young and I was living the dream so to speak. It was unbelievable,” he says.

“In terms of whether it lived up to my expectations, I guess you really don’t know what to expect. But to actually be part of a big club is awesome.”

Melbourne’s barnstorming success last season redefined Australian domestic football, raising the standard to a level which has arguably been unseen in this nation.

And Patafta’s introduction, along with that of Ljubo Milicevic and Carlos Hernandez, provides the reigning champions with an ominous glow which is likely to trouble rivals deeply.

But Patafta questions whether he will make an instant impact on the competition and remains philosophical about the season ahead.

“It’s hard to say,” he says. “You never know what to expect in football I think, so I’ll just keep working hard and hopefully I can make an impact.”

Although he has already received a plethora of accolades throughout his short career, Patafta wants to hoist aloft Australia’s domestic crown, and it is that goal, as well as the lure of Champions League football, which is motivating him.

"To relive what the boys did last year and win the A-League, a competition in my homeland, would be awesome” he says.

“And obviously to be exposed in a competition such as the Asian Champions League would be brilliant as well.

"It’s such a high standard, but I really hope to improve and have a great season.”
This is the type of mentality all kids should possess. They shouldn't expect to have games handed to them on a platter.

veridis

droog
HSC

do you understand basic grammarand logic? the claudinho>fred thing didnt work out because it turned out fred>claudinho. dumb fuck. you acknowledge you only know hernandez from the world cup,and only highlights at that, that means you only know him because of his name, because he played in a big tournament you conclude he must be great. that is pretty much the definition of knowing someone just for being a big name. we will see, and it will be milligan. to see whether leijer or milligans turns out better will be close. keenan is far off.

you still havent addressed why you thought ACL=asian cup, why you know nothing about the saudi league but think you can bag it anyway. why you think you can judge players without seeing them. there's plenty to address, just you realise that you are a)wrong or b)dont know anything about the topic

MV didn't sign him, nurnberg did, that demonstrates thet MVs scouting is deficient. are you beginning to understand? signing spira at that stage would have been a risk yes, but if MV scouting was so perfect they would have, or at least would have brought him into the train on squad. spira was always going to leave aus, he's quality, but he could easily have been kept here until he was 21 or so if someone had the balls to offer him a contract at 17. didn't have to be MV, all the aleague clubs made a mistake by letting him slip through, but nobody has claimed that any of the other clubs are perfect.

HSC

veridis said:
do you understand basic grammarand logic? the claudinho>fred thing didnt work out because it turned out fred>claudinho. dumb fuck.
haha...well i know that grammarand is not a word, but 'grammar and' does make a partial sentence. ok, this is what i said.

aodmjgnwpekignw said:
who said claudinho was better than fred?? source please. oh yeah, and you forgot fred did seem to work out didn't it???
you failed understand my sentence structure and to answer my question........yet again :(

veridis said:
you acknowledge you only know hernandez from the world cup,and only highlights at that, that means you only know him because of his name, because he played in a big tournament you conclude he must be great.
this is what i said

aodmjgnwpekignw said:
i've seen highlights of hernandez @ the world cup and for his club.
note the words 'and for his club'. sorry, but i don't follow the league he came from. sorry i didn't scout every match he played, so stupid of me!!!! as i said before he is not a 'big name' compared to someone like fowler, viera, cocu okocha. you fail to address this aspect of the argument.......again.

veridis said:
you still havent addressed why you thought ACL=asian cup, why you know nothing about the saudi league but think you can bag it anyway. why you think you can judge players without seeing them. there's plenty to address, just you realise that you are a)wrong or b)dont know anything about the topic
i got mixed up. sorry for the mix up.

well this is what i said.

aodmjgnwpekignw said:
2) May be off the pace due to coming from Saudi Arabian club. Don't know how they play over there, but I'm sure it's nothing like the A-League. Might also be of lesser quality.
Please note the 'Don't know how they play over there...' and 'MIGHT also be of lesser quality.' Now could you address some of the other issues that I brought up?

veridis said:
MV didn't sign him, nurnberg did, that demonstrates thet MVs scouting is deficient.
Definition from http://dict.die.net/scout/-

2: someone employed to discover talented persons
(especially in the worlds of entertainment or sports)

nothing in there about signing players is there??? eeeekkkk......you can scout someone, but it doesn't mean that you HAVE to sign them to bring them to prominence.

veridis said:
are you beginning to understand? signing spira at that stage would have been a risk yes, but if MV scouting was so perfect they would have, or at least would have brought him into the train on squad.
well he WAS brought in to train with the squad. errrrrr........

Last edited:

veridis

droog
HSC

aodmjgnwpekignw said:
haha...well i know that grammarand is not a word, but 'grammar and' does make a partial sentence. ok, this is what i said.
how witty, a typo

"who said claudinho was better than fred?? source please. oh yeah, and you forgot fred did seem to work out didn't it???"
"you failed understand my sentence structure and to answer my question........yet again :( "
but you failed to comprehend my initial comments and interpreted "not work out" to mean individuals not claudinho being touted more than fred, so your question "oh yeah, and you forgot fred did seem to work out didn't it???" was void and based on your misinterpretation. to see claudinho being claimed to be better read all the initial announcements, claudinho was at the highest level so most hyped.

" as i said before he is not a 'big name' compared to someone like fowler, viera, cocu okocha. you fail to address this aspect of the argument.......again. "
not again. you make an arbitrary definition of "big name" to mean someone from the premiership. you criticise people for liking premiership players without properly assessing them, but you do the same thing about hernandez, you judge him not on his ability but his reputation. in essence that is what the media has done with what you define as a "big name". you make an arbitrary distinction and assume i have to accept it. i look at the underlying process, judging a player without seeing them play, and criticise both SFCs obsession with ex-premiership players, and the people who want south americans for the sake of south americans.

"Please note the 'Don't know how they play over there...' and 'MIGHT also be of lesser quality.' Now could you address some of the other issues that I brought up?"
you also said "but I'm sure it's nothing like the A-League", but you tried to leave that out with an ellipsis. now could you please address the fact that you know shit about the world football and refrain from entering into discussions which are obviously beyond you.

"Definition from http://dict.die.net/scout/-

2: someone employed to discover talented persons
(especially in the worlds of entertainment or sports)

nothing in there about signing players is there??? eeeekkkk......you can scout someone, but it doesn't mean that you HAVE to sign them to bring them to prominence."
sigh, meaning anyone can claim to have scouted anyone. you're making semantic distinctions. do you acknowledge that spira would improve the MV squad? do you acknowledge MV had a chance to sign him? do you then acknowledge that the MV squad isnt perfect as you earlier claimed by dismissing my suggestion that it could be better, and also that the MV leadership have also made mistakes in recruiting, namely by letting spira slip though?

"well he WAS brought in to train with the squad. errrrrr........"
he was trialled for one game and returned to AIS a few weeks later. most aleague clubs, MV included, have young blokes that train with them all season, and they're often the ones signed on short term cover contracts.

HSC

veridis said:
but you failed to comprehend my initial comments and interpreted "not work out" to mean individuals not claudinho being touted more than fred, so your question "oh yeah, and you forgot fred did seem to work out didn't it???" was void and based on your misinterpretation. to see claudinho being claimed to be better read all the initial announcements, claudinho was at the highest level so most hyped.
yep ok :S
i still see no source. lol

veridis said:
not again. you make an arbitrary definition of "big name" to mean someone from the premiership. you criticise people for liking premiership players without properly assessing them, but you do the same thing about hernandez, you judge him not on his ability but his reputation. in essence that is what the media has done with what you define as a "big name". you make an arbitrary distinction and assume i have to accept it. i look at the underlying process, judging a player without seeing them play, and criticise both SFCs obsession with ex-premiership players, and the people who want south americans for the sake of south americans.
putting words in my mouth again i see.

veridis said:
you also said "but I'm sure it's nothing like the A-League", but you tried to leave that out with an ellipsis. now could you please address the fact that you know shit about the world football and refrain from entering into discussions which are obviously beyond you.
haha '...but I'm sure it's nothing like the A-League." does not refer to whether it is better or worse in quality. Drawing to conclusions again I see.....

veridis said:
sigh, meaning anyone can claim to have scouted anyone. you're making semantic distinctions. do you acknowledge that spira would improve the MV squad? do you acknowledge MV had a chance to sign him? do you then acknowledge that the MV squad isnt perfect as you earlier claimed by dismissing my suggestion that it could be better, and also that the MV leadership have also made mistakes in recruiting, namely by letting spira slip though?
well no....victory were good enough to identify him when he was 16 and give him a game. again, i am sure that no-one would take a chance on an unproven 16 year old to take up an u-20 spot in the inagural year of the domestic league.
i doubt he would have improved the club while 16. obviously he would be a hit in the a-league by now, but no-one is perfect and i never said that the victory's was. if i did, please quote me. just look at what happened to henry and fabregas. and i never said that the victory squad was 'perfect', and that the victory have strengthened the squad in every department in every way possible, whilst sticking under the salary cap. now that is good recruitment work. if they were perfect, i'm sure we'd have a few more world class players. oh yeah and i forgot about vargas. plucked out of vpl obscurity and ripping it up!!!!!!

veridis said:
he was trialled for one game and returned to AIS a few weeks later. most aleague clubs, MV included, have young blokes that train with them all season, and they're often the ones signed on short term cover contracts.

veridis said:
German power swoops on talented teen
By David Davutovic
October 05, 2006

AUSTRALIA'S next young gun has been snatched by German high-flyer FC Nurnberg after being ignored by A-League clubs.

Defender Matthew Spiranovic flew to Germany this week after signing for three seasons, joining fellow Aussies Josh Kennedy, Michael Beauchamp and Dean Heffernan in the Nurnberg senior squad.

Geelong-born Spiranovic impressed with Melbourne Victory as a 16-year-old in last year's Club World Championship qualifier against Adelaide United, but he was overlooked for an A-League contract.

He is rated the classiest defender to come from the Australian Institute of Sport since Josip Simunic, who has been a fixture in the Croatia backline.

Spiranovic is confident but humble, and the 193cm teenager is certain to feature on Australia's radar should he break into Nurnberg's first team in the Bundesliga.

"It's happened quite soon but I definitely didn't want to knock this chance back," Spiranovic, who turned 18 in June, said.

"If you can get a run in the Bundesliga, I think you open yourself up to national selection at any level.

"I'd like to try and sneak into the Olyroos team, so if I can continue to do well with Nurnberg, I'd love to play in the Olympics.

"Playing in Europe was a childhood dream of mine, and a chance to train week in, week out with the world's best players will only help my development."

Spiranovic was offered a contract after training with Nurnberg for a week and playing in a friendly against a second-division club.

He was eager to play in the A-League, and trained semi-regularly with Victory, which would almost certainly have signed him for next season.

But Nurnberg offers a much more attractive and lucrative career path.

"(Victory coach) Ernie (Merrick) not picking me up has done me a favour in a sense because I'll probably be better off in the long run," Spiranovic said.

"I trained with Victory for three weeks and Nurnberg for one and the difference is massive. You've got 12 international players at Nurnberg. There's the Czech captain (Tomas Galasek), Brazilian and Croatian internationals."

Spiranovic's agent, John Grimaud, said A-League coaches had to blood more youth.

"In Europe, coaches have a philosophy if you're good enough, you're old enough," he said.

"Here coaches seem to be under pressure and when they are, they always go with experience over youth."

Spiranovic will play in the Young Socceroos' Asian Cup qualifiers in India, starting at the end of October.

Herald Sun
but.....

veridis said:
but if MV scouting was so perfect they would have, or at least would have brought him into the train on squad.
so ur wrong :) :wave::wave::wave:

veridis

droog
HSC

you're finally admitting that MVs scouting and recruitment policy is not perfect, and quote an article describing how they let a player slip and didn't have the balls to sign spira while a german club did. my work here is done. all i wanted was for you to see that the world of football transfers and signings is a big and complicated place and the a-league, while improving, is still a very small and insignificant part of it and every club is signing players of similar standard(which you imply by finally admitting that you dont know shit about the saudi league and it is of a higher quality than a-league)

edit - oh and since you took such joy in pointing out my typo can i take thing opportunity to point out that you attempt to use "ur" in an english sentence, and even if interpreted as the more common "your" it would still make no sense. you were trying for a "you are" i think.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)