The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Apparently there has been a public apology from the refereeing circle in regards to the goal that was given to Japan. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, thats a pretty bold step in publicly recognising the FIFA World Cup referee made a wrong decision. Somehow, im not so sure they would have apologised had Australia lost to Japan 1-0.

Dont worry about the last 15 minutes, the whole game was awesome.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world-cup-2006/i-made-a-mistake-says-ref/2006/06/13/1149964506587.html

Far_Q

HSC
Personally I think Guus got most of his tactics right, leaving Cahill on the bench was due to his lack of match fitness, playing him from the start in such a hot day would of drained alot of his energy, but when he came on he provided alot of energy and creativity at the edge of the box that was lacking in the first half, next match cahill definately has to start after gaining valuable match fitness.

Guus must of had his reasons for including wilkshire, but based on this performance he seems to be out of his depth and hopefully Cahill will take his place against brazil.

Kennedy and Aloisi provided great options and support for Viduka up front, expecially Kennedy, in past games Viduka seems hopelessly outnumbered by 2-3 defenders on him with little support, but in future games, Kennedy and/or Aloisi is a must to bring on at an really stage, maybe 10-15 minutes into the second half.

I'm also wondering what's happening to Emerton?...When he was with Feyenoord he looked like becoming a star for us with his speed and ability to take on defenders, these days he just hasn't produced anything and he doesn't produce quality passes or crosses into the box...

But lets hope tonight the Brazilians absolutely smack the hell out of Croatia, hopefully 5-0. Therefore no matter what happens in the game between us and Brazil, we know a win or a draw may be good enough in the final game against Croatia...

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Emerton has always been shit. Craig Foster was saying he can't play in the middle - he sucks on the wings as well.

Everyone should realise that the job isn't done yet and that Croatia will be a much tougher opponent than Japan.

johnny_87

HSC
Does anyone have the terms and conditions for the $100 centrebet free jersey promo? If there's no dodgy fine print will defintiely join

*Minka*

HSC
A little on the newest spat between Ljungberg and Mellberg:

"Team captain Olof Mellberg is said to have been one of the last into the locker room (second last, or third) and to have been confronted by an already ongoing discussion between Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Fredrik Ljungberg. The star duo expressed discontent about "some tactical decisions made by Lars Lagerbäck".
At this, Mellberg - at the precise moment when he's watching Ljungberg, walking by him to the right in the locker room - is to have said:
-"This isn't about tactics, we didn't score because we lacked creativity."
The comment reportedly caused Ljungberg to react. The Arsenal star "gets up" and "hisses":
"Yeah, well, so what the hell are you trying to imply? Maybe you ought to focus on you own game and just keep the ball by the wings and not go with one of your 'balloons'!"
At this Zlatan Ibrahimovic is to have placed himself strategically between the two players, and according to the football blog he says something along the lines of "This is a team we're supposed to beat". By this time Ljungberg and Mellberg are up close arguing, though not close enough to get physical.
"You don't have to defend something that is actually shitty", Ljungberg is to have screamed, at which point Mellberg leans over, close to Ljungberg's face, and retorts:
"You are supposed to take the chances you get, and you ought to know your place in this team"
The entire dispute lasted about 6-7 seconds.
After this Tobias Linderoth and Marcus Allbäck - the two players following the situation closely - are to have taken a couple of steps towards the other players, at which Zlatan Ibrahimovic reportedly points at Linderoth and says "You, don't even start."
Marcus Allbäck then takes the initiative, calmly pulling Ljungberg some distance away, towards the bench by the wall. Mellberg looks at Zlatan, as Ibrahimovic slowly retires to the other side of the locker room, "staring" at Linderoth.

(translated from http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,840478,00.html by a Swedish speaking friend)

Slight diffrecne in the ending from http://expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=608645

"When things have gotten to this point, Tobias Linderoth and Marcus Allbäck are involved as well, according to baraben.com.
'You, don't even start', Zlatan reportedly says to Linderoth, while Allbäck pushes Ljungberg up against the wall."

LOL.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
They had a fight at the last WC as well. They really don't like each other do they.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
Paragon said:
Hm, the American Samoan FA, if indeed existent, would be pretty ticked-off they didn't do more to keep him. Oh well, Samoa's loss is our gain. And Japan's loss all over again.
u srs...cahill wasnt meant to play for australia...ohhh...faith was on our side...god bless God :)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
He played as a Youth for Samoa and "technically" you can't play for another national team. In reality, if you have played for any national team up to the u19 you may still be eligible to play for another national team at the discretion of FIFA.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
can you feel the love lol, sweden did well in the last cup though

predictions for tonight,

korea 1 - togo 0
france 1 - Swiss 2
Brazil 2 - Croats 0

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
Komit said:
He played as a Youth for Samoa and "technically" you can't play for another national team. In reality, if you have played for any national team up to the u19 you may still be eligible to play for another national team at the discretion of FIFA.
However, he played the match after being told that it would not effect his ability to play for Australia and then later found out it did and tried very hard to be able to play for Australia.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Hence, FIFA's discretion.

@Minka: interesting signature.....imagine Serbia and Croatia played each other. That would be special......"NAPRED JUGOSLAVIJA"

matt#1

HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
I just wish Johnny Warren was here to see this. Bless him.
Don't worry...he was watching the game. Johnny Warren wouldn't let anything get in the way of seeing Australia play in the world cup again...not even death!:)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Does anyone know what Fabregas' chances of starting tomorrow night are?

*Minka*

HSC
Komit said:
Hence, FIFA's discretion.

@Minka: interesting signature.....imagine Serbia and Croatia played each other. That would be special......"NAPRED JUGOSLAVIJA"
LOL I know right - it would be the quickest way to divide my family really. Interestingly enough, I am part Croatian, Part Serbian which is suprising really to many people, but not all that uncommon. I'd have to pull with Croatia though because I have a bit more identity there and was born in Zagreb.

(Although, I'd be no child of my fathers if I ever cheered for an Albanian football team!)

Last edited:

johnny_87

HSC
Waf - Slim. Other CMs for Spain would be Xavi, Alonso and Iniesta. Not sure who else is in the squad but on the basis of those 4 I'd pick Alonso and Xavi.

*Minka*

HSC
matt#1 said:
Don't worry...he was watching the game. Johnny Warren wouldn't let anything get in the way of seeing Australia play in the world cup again...not even death!:)
I met him in 2003 and he is a complete class act and an amazing man. He stopped by at a tournament my brothers Zlatan and Milos were playing in and to be hoenst, I was pissed there was no final/competition for girls, because my team wuld have been involved. I admittedly, was in a bit of a sulk about it because you know, it was all about the boys. I remember bitching to a couple of people, including Zlatan about it. (No one cares about us girls, like, heaven forbid I like playing as much as you do).

Anyways, Johnny Warren was talking to people, regardless of who they were. He asked fi I was Zlatan's sister (we both meantioned being born in Zagreb and he said he had a little sister so yeah) I mentioned somewhere in conversation that I play football too and he asked me about it. I said it was nothing, just high school girls Interschool soccer as well as playing on a local girls team on weekends so he probably doesn't want to hear. He told me to never think that being a girl player is less than being a male player because we are all football lovers and love one game, and to keep playing and loving it. I will never forget that because I was at a point where I was ready to quit because there jsut seemed to be nothing for the girls in the sport. But I can honestly say those words kept me going.

Such a class act.

Last edited:

johnny_87

HSC
Would have been nice to meet the great man. What he did for the game here is absolutely huge and it was so sad that he couldn't be here for the game last night and the games vs Uruguay. At least he would have had a good view from above :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)