Transfer to Harvard Med? (1 Viewer)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Oxbridge- oxford/cambridge

yeh man, If I wanted to do that, id try to get an undergrad at a smaller uk uni (exeter, newcastle) then try for postgrad at oxford/cambridge
cant im to poor :)
nevertheless ANU is an internationally recognised university and the bachelor of engineering(research and development) im starting allows me to partake in research at undergraduate level,publishing papers and going to conferences etc where as other undergraduates will have only undertaken an honours thesis at most.Plus I have to graduate with first class honours as a requirement to graduate from the degree.All this will hopefully put me in good stead to pursue a PhD or masters by research at Oxbridge

Pfortune35

HSC
cant im to poor :)
nevertheless ANU is an internationally recognised university and the bachelor of engineering(research and development) im starting allows me to partake in research at undergraduate level,publishing papers and going to conferences etc where as other undergraduates will have only undertaken an honours thesis at most.Plus I have to graduate with first class honours as a requirement to graduate from the degree.All this will hopefully put me in good stead to pursue a PhD or masters by research at Oxbridge
so with that R and D degree you go to conferences and shit, cool. ANu is the only uni to my knowledge that sort of downgrades degrees if you dont do well in them. Also my cousin just finished adv science in Physics at anu and it trying to go to stanford, are there many at anu who want to go international?

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
so with that R and D degree you go to conferences and shit, cool. ANu is the only uni to my knowledge that sort of downgrades degrees if you dont do well in them. Also my cousin just finished adv science in Physics at anu and it trying to go to stanford, are there many at anu who want to go international?
don't know sorry.Starting in february :)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Though i was looking at a paper published regarding the PhB science at ANU which is essentially the R&D equivalent for science.
"
Fifteen students have now graduated from the PhB degree in Science. Of these students, two are
taking a short break before commencing higher degree study, three are undertaking further
coursework degrees (Law, Medicine, Science Communication), five have commenced PhD degrees
at ANU, one has commenced a PhD degree at ANU in partnership with another university (Oxford)
Cornell), three are completing PhD degrees at other institutions (Cornell, Harvard, Max Planck), and
one has commenced work for the Commonwealth Treasury. All are committed to lifelong learning
and all intend a career in science."
http://sydney.edu.au/science/uniserve_science/pubs/procs/2007/28.pdf

Last edited:

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Relatives in US, and to have more academic and physical resources in Med School. Prestige is probably 20 percent of my ambition, also the fact that I have access to Nobel Laureates in Medicine/Physiology
You will be exposing yourself to the harsh reality of medicine in US. In the US, your internship is very dependent on the prestige of the university you enter i.e. Harvard.

Secondly, why would Nobel Laureates want to talk to you? do you have research in that field?

There is also much better competition else where, Singapore/ India/ parts of Europe which will trump over Australian education any day.

Also, as other people have said, it is very expensive to study in America. You are putting stress on your family that you don't need to.

Lastly, why do you want to make your life harder? the uni in which you do medicine does not make any impact on your ability to practice medicine. It is the resulting reports from your supervisors and research done after your degree that will dictate your specialty (which is imo much more important than what uni you get into).

Good luck for your endeavors wherever they take you but I think you are driving the harder path for little reason.

hayabusaboston

HSC
You will be exposing yourself to the harsh reality of medicine in US. In the US, your internship is very dependent on the prestige of the university you enter i.e. Harvard.

Secondly, why would Nobel Laureates want to talk to you? do you have research in that field?

There is also much better competition else where, Singapore/ India/ parts of Europe which will trump over Australian education any day.

Also, as other people have said, it is very expensive to study in America. You are putting stress on your family that you don't need to.

Lastly, why do you want to make your life harder? the uni in which you do medicine does not make any impact on your ability to practice medicine. It is the resulting reports from your supervisors and research done after your degree that will dictate your specialty (which is imo much more important than what uni you get into).

Good luck for your endeavors wherever they take you but I think you are driving the harder path for little reason.
Yea im doing postgrad for that reason. After MIT, transferring to Harvard. I know its expensive, thats why I intend to try for every possible scholarship and all possible financial assistance lol. Its not because I want to make my life harder, I just want more to do. Oh lol Nobel Laureates teach at Harvard, thats what I meant. Im doing my own little research now actually, now that you ask haha, but I lack a lot of the equipment required so mine is mostly theoretical. Thanks, Sainteced, hope all goes well for you too :)

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
your in year 12 this year correct?
If so I would recommend you undertake a substantial amount of community service and play a few sports yet not compromising your academic results. The reason I say this, is that everyone who applies to MIT has an ATAR equivalent of 99.50+, hence the purpose of the community service and sport is to differentiate "the boys from the men". Regardless, Best of luck
Not really, if you take a look at MIT admittance sat scores its about equivalent to the top 2.5% so ATAR of 97.5, still high but infinitely more reachable than 99.5. The main problem is they'll only accept the best of the best international students + expenses are insane.

zhiying

HSC
Clearly OP has big dreams, not the first time either.

Good luck, but prepare to fail/disappointment/etc

Wise words

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
cbb reading this thread, but my friend is wanting to do psychology at Harvard. She has to maintain a certain GPA [she has to get at least an average of 90% in all subjects] as well as doing the SAT's iirc.

You should talk to your careers advisor in year 11.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I seriously can't see what the problem with Australian Universities is. We have some of the best teaching facilities and lecturers in the Asia Pacific region. I hate to be a naysayer but you'll have to compete with the best of the best from all over the world, including many many Americans.

But hey, big dreams, are big dreams, and I wish you luck buddy!

Can I ask what High School you attend?

hayabusaboston

HSC
I seriously can't see what the problem with Australian Universities is. We have some of the best teaching facilities and lecturers in the Asia Pacific region. I hate to be a naysayer but you'll have to compete with the best of the best from all over the world, including many many Americans.

But hey, big dreams, are big dreams, and I wish you luck buddy!

Can I ask what High School you attend?
Hehe thanks :) I go to Hurlstone Ag now. Precisely, I'll have to compete against the best in the world, that's what makes it fun :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)