Transfer to Harvard Med? (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
I don't want to be outright rude or anything but I'm just curious, what's up with the insanely difficult - almost insurmountable - goals?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
wtf dude..? I said don't aim too high. Is there something wrong with that? Everyone wants 99.95 but that's aiming too high because it's unrealistic. As well as getting the highest aggregate and getting in Harvard med. And I never said it was a crime. Seriously, pipe down, you don't know how to quote people and you imply things that aren't even stated.
Also which kid hasn't dreamt of doing all that shit in years 9/10. Give him by mid year 11 and he won't give a crap.

Edit: Also none of us know jack shit about the OP and his skills. So why even take that line of arguement in the first place?
What's so bad about him asking either way?
You don't aim high because you can achieve it. You aim high because you want to achieve it.
And I know someone who aimed for 99.95 when he was in high school and he ended up really getting it. Small chance, but not impossible. The moment you think it's impossible and give up, the chance becomes even smaller.

haha okay, its fine if you think so. By the way im not hoping for 500 aggregate, more like highest aggregate im capable of. But anyway. Beating Ruse, thats a happy hope not really a goal, something that would be a nice cherry on top, but not crucial. Yea these things are nice to achieve, and I will work to get as close to them as I can. Thats why they're my aims. You dont know me anyway lol, so you cant automatically assume its too high for me.
Positive thinking helps. So that's the way to go. Ignore above criticisms.
(btw those people who would 'die' and get severely depressed if they don't achieve their aim are imo by definition thinking negatively in a way.)

We just all have different expectations. We'll keep adjusting them. Whether or not a dream is 'realistic'is upon the person to decide, which will all come in time. Stuff what other people think.
+1

friend177

HSC
It's always good to aim high, but just don't have high expectations of yourself.

zhiying

HSC
The higher you aim, the greater the possible disappointment, so be prepared.

I had about 20+ friends at Ruse during my year 12 and I aimed to beat them, just friendly competition. I did except for like 2-3 but it's not like I would've really cared.

Had a few friends in Hurlstone, you would have to rank 1 everything basically otherwise cohort might drag you down. I'll be interested to see your year 12 assessment marks

hayabusaboston

HSC
The higher you aim, the greater the possible disappointment, so be prepared.

I had about 20+ friends at Ruse during my year 12 and I aimed to beat them, just friendly competition. I did except for like 2-3 but it's not like I would've really cared.

Had a few friends in Hurlstone, you would have to rank 1 everything basically otherwise cohort might drag you down. I'll be interested to see your year 12 assessment marks
yea im prepared for anything haha. Im doing ag, chem, phys, bio, 3u and adv english, fairly confident of a high rank in everything but ag. Sure thing, zhiying (cool rhyme lol), I'll be on here just like all the other 2013'ers writing my ATAR and subject marks.

Just a question that popped into my mind, are all the people who get above 95 in mx2 of high IQ or is mx2 also something you can absorb the syllabus for and succeed without a gift for mathematics? All of you guys are telling me IQ and ATAR dont correlate, just curious if same applies for MX2?

largarithmic

HSC
yea im prepared for anything haha. Im doing ag, chem, phys, bio, 3u and adv english, fairly confident of a high rank in everything but ag. Sure thing, zhiying (cool rhyme lol), I'll be on here just like all the other 2013'ers writing my ATAR and subject marks.

Just a question that popped into my mind, are all the people who get above 95 in mx2 of high IQ or is mx2 also something you can absorb the syllabus for and succeed without a gift for mathematics? All of you guys are telling me IQ and ATAR dont correlate, just curious if same applies for MX2?
I don't know whether you're a troll or not, but could you please shut up about IQ? Natural intelligence counts a tiny amount in life for most of us; the most of it is hard work and learning how to learn. And to the extent of it does, your intelligence is proven by what you actually do - and no I don't mean exam results, I mean do - and not some arbitrary number a crackpot website gave you.

Also you should seriously ask yourself why you want to go to Harvard medical school - is it because you want HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL printed on your degree, or is it because you want to be a doctor? And why do you want to be a doctor - is it because its the hardest-to-get-into or most "prestigious" degree, or because you actually want to just practice medicine? And if so, why do you want to do it in the US instead of Australia?

hayabusaboston

HSC
I don't know whether you're a troll or not, but could you please shut up about IQ? Natural intelligence counts a tiny amount in life for most of us; the most of it is hard work and learning how to learn. And to the extent of it does, your intelligence is proven by what you actually do - and no I don't mean exam results, I mean do - and not some arbitrary number a crackpot website gave you.

Also you should seriously ask yourself why you want to go to Harvard medical school - is it because you want HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL printed on your degree, or is it because you want to be a doctor? And why do you want to be a doctor - is it because its the hardest-to-get-into or most "prestigious" degree, or because you actually want to just practice medicine? And if so, why do you want to do it in the US instead of Australia?
Jeez largarithmic, just wondering. Honestly just wondering. Im no troll, I just ask questions about IQ okay, because I wonder. I didnt get a number from a crackpot site, I got it from a psychologist.

I want to go to Harvard because of a few reasons, not in any particular order:
1. Family in US
2. To have the best resources possible during a degree
3. To be able to talk to and learn from Nobel Laureates
4. I want to be a doctor, a neuroradiologist specifically, because the brain is my life passion, as yours is mathematics, Tim.
5. I want to be a doctor because, as above, I want to work with the brain in a radiologic setting
6. I want to do it in the US because as above, family, resources, and access to the best possible education in medicine.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Jeez largarithmic, just wondering. Honestly just wondering. Im no troll, I just ask questions about IQ okay, because I wonder. I didnt get a number from a crackpot site, I got it from a psychologist.

I want to go to Harvard because of a few reasons, not in any particular order:
1. Family in US
2. To have the best resources possible during a degree
4. I want to be a doctor, a neuroradiologist specifically, because the brain is my life passion, as yours is mathematics, Tim.
5. I want to be a doctor because, as above, I want to work with the brain in a radiologic setting
6. I want to do it in the US because as above, family, resources, and access to the best possible education in medicine.
go for it, good luck. :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Even at USYD, many lecturers don't bother putting in much effort when it comes to talking with students.

What makes you think a Nobel Laureate would want to speak to a 1st Year Medical Student, Harvard or not?

Just being a bit realistic here.

Goals are goals, but nothing beats reality.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Even at USYD, many lecturers don't bother putting in much effort when it comes to talking with students.

What makes you think a Nobel Laureate would want to speak to a 1st Year Medical Student, Harvard or not?

Just being a bit realistic here.

Goals are goals, but nothing beats reality.

Ohh right k sorry I didnt know I just assumed in uni the professors talk to you?

Lucas_

HSC
OP if you ever make it to Harvard I will eat my own fist
If you ever win a Nobel Prize, then I will attempt to eat my own head

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
lol

Last edited:

silvi_1

HSC
You will be exposing yourself to the harsh reality of medicine in US. In the US, your internship is very dependent on the prestige of the university you enter i.e. Harvard.

Also, as other people have said, it is very expensive to study in America. You are putting stress on your family that you don't need to.
QUOTE]

This isn't necessarily true. Unless your family is earning >$200,000(ish) p.a., Harvard, and many other top universities in the US offer needs-blind financial aid for international students - the same policy they use for domestic students. So, if you were to be admitted to Harvard, tuition wouldn't actually be that expensive.
eg. if you're family is earning between $65,000 - $150,000 p.a. (US$) you're only expected to contribute zero to 10% of you're tuition.

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/international/international_aid.html

Frankly, most universities don't have this kind of policy (as international students are used as revenue, usually) but Harvard is very generous with having the same financial aid policy for international students as well. By all means, go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)