Trials (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

self control.

write up a timetable.. or at least a daily planner, telling u wat subjects u have to study and how many past papers u gotta do

and make sure u follow it, even if it means no sleep. otherwise it will just build up.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yes
all that

heh...well, i wonder how much study those james ruse kids are doin...!

sif not 99

constantly I have been told, and I am sure many others to do the study timetable, stick to the timetable, the timetable rules your life etc. etc.

But the thing is some people just dont adjust well to having such a regimented routine, I for one. I had a timetable for a week, but decided to scrap it after that, it didn't suit me.

At the end of the day its self discipline rather than having this timetable glaring at you on the wall at your desk which seems to inspire guilt whenever you decide you want a break. Its about wanting to do the study, and spending a balanced time between subjects, you dont need a timetable for that.

But then again there are my friends over doing the 4unit maths, phys and chem that this routine suits, each to their own I suppose, but dont feel bad for not having a timetable because they are not for everyone.

just my 2 cents,

as to whether my routine works well my name for the forums was made after my UAI estimate so you figure it out.

sif not 99

as to those Ruse kids I must confess I have the honour of knowing a number of those "gods" as you might believe that they are, but the vast majority of Ruse ppl dont study 24/7 rather they maintain a good balance and achieve good results.

Dont raise them onto a pedalstool and bow down and worship them for the amount of study they do, sure they work hard but they were also born with a reasonable IQ for starters

Morgues

I dont believe IQ has a lot to do with academic success in school
IQ for the most part is a different thing altogether

A

average

IQ measures how smart you are........

but school mainly measures how hard you study.............

dissonance

That is not true for everyone. For the average person school is simply a matter of how much you study. Some people will study just as hard as you and not get the same result. The smartest humanities kid in my school works no where near as hard as some other students. He can joke around all through class talk, scribble little drawings etc. go out on the weekends, play sport (seriously the normality of this guy pisses everyone off). Working, reasoning and writing just come easier to him than it does to everybody else.

Academics is something that some people have more natural talent for than others. You still can do really well in school if you put in a lot of hard work, but some people do not have to work as hard to get excellant results. I'm sure this is how a lot of those James Ruse people get good results too.

dissonance

but ah, now that I read your posts again I agree with average and Morgues. Your right your IQ doesn't have "a lot" to do with academic success.

Next time I will read your posts more carefully before I go off on an only minorly related rant...

sorry bout that guys

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Although IQ literally stands for 'intelligence quotient', it is hardly a measure of 'actual' intelligence.

The HSC requires both intelligence and hard work. Anyone who fails* the HSC is either stupid or lazy or both. Harsh terms, perhaps, but true nonetheless.

How would you define intelligence anyway? Students who perform well in exams are usually thought to be intelligent. Does this mean performing well in exams 'causes' intelligence? Or was the intelligence already there and resulted in the student performing well? If the student doesn't perform so well at a later date, does he or she 'lose' that intelligence?

To be honest, the link between intelligence and academic performance seems tentative at best. Correlation is not causation. Students who perform well are considered to be intelligent. Students who do not perform well are not considered to be intelligent. Does that mean intelligence induces good performance? No.

Hrmm it's 2am and I've lost my train of thought. I don't really know what I was trying to say. :p Obviously smart students are going to do well. But what makes someone smart, or intelligent? Students who work hard could perform well and 'feign' intelligence.

Nope, I've lost it. Going to bed, I might rewrite this post tomorrow if I remember. :p

*'fails' as used here is a subjective term solely implying a low level of performance.

Morgues

I think a strong memory is very important. Anything covered in school can be memorised including maths so a person who does well without studying much could just have a very good memory. It could mean he spends 2 hours memorising something that takes someone else 6 hours. But does that make him more intelligent?

ben

Yeah - memorising facts and quotes for Ancient History is very hard. Memorising "key ideas' in business studies for example is a lot easier.

I don't know, IQ, memorising, amount of study are all little factors that make up your overall HSC success..

A

average

HSC success is measured not by how high your uai is, but by whether you get into the course you want to do in uni..........

if some1 wants to do engineering, then that person's hsc pressure is no where close to some1 trying to get into law or something

sif not 99

well to get into ruse you have to come at the top of an IQ test, that is the selective schools test, which is more or less an IQ test with the vast majority of the smartest of the bunch going to Ruse. Thats not to say the smartest go to other schools, like the dux at my, you might say "less established" selective, who I would bet my house on getting 100. Anyway, its their IQ that got them into the school which makes me say that its their IQ that translates into the godly marks. However I do agree if that IQ isnt couped with adequate study they surely wont achieve to the extent of which they are capable. Which is pretty much the same with everybody more or less =)

A

average

couldn't agree more......

everybody knows that we SHOULD be studying right now,
but not much people can really get into it :(

however it is possible for people with lower IQ to get 'godly' uai, e.g. 100, just by the sheer load of their study :eek: (like 6 hours per school night or something)

Morgues

A person I know has a very high IQ and you can tell he is intelligent just by talking to him. He is very good at logic especially programming.
However he is not what you would call a high achiever in terms of school. When he studies he gets good marks however when he doesn't he gets roughly average.

So the guy is intelligent and will probably achieve great things in life however his natural gift is not helping him much in school, because he does not put in the multiple hours of work each night like some students are

Point is no matter what IQ you have the thing that matters in school is how much work you put in

Morgues

Originally posted by average
couldn't agree more......

however it is possible for people with lower IQ to get 'godly' uai, e.g. 100, just by the sheer load of their study :eek: (like 6 hours per school night or something)
If ANYONE works 6 hours a night, each night during year 11/12 they will get a UAI greater then 95 and if they do the difficult subjects will probably get over 99

ben

Originally posted by average
LOL - so true. i've "wasted" my holidays relaxing...

A

average

Morgue, i see that your in sefton year 12 too.

Who might u be? community or selective?
and which intelligent person in yr 12 u talking about?
Hope it is not Tim Barge:p

Has every1 got their trials around week 3 back?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Morgues

If ANYONE works 6 hours a night, each night during year 11/12 they will get a UAI greater then 95 and if they do the difficult subjects will probably get over 99
not necessarly, u can study as much as u want, but in the end, it boils down to how much u have understood wat u have studied, and convey that to the examiner in the HSC exams (and assessment tasks for that matter)
but yeah, ppl who study 6 hours a night are generally those that are motivated, and intelligent in the first place

ben

yeah, i have trials week 3+ too...

but studying is going to start after assessment task that i have due week 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)