UNSW
UNCLE/UNE
UWS
James Cook University
University of Western Australia
University of Tasmania
Bond (hope you can afford it).
Thanks a BUNCH Wooz. I would so give you a block of choclate for that! ^^

Just the abbreviations...umm eheh! XD What does UNCLE stand for and what exactly is bond? I've heard of rural bond where you have to work in a rural area for 6 years after you get your degree, but nothing about just 'Bond'.

-::Sanni::-

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
I know this sounds stupid... but what hell is UMAT test anyway?

I know it stands for "university medine access test" and it is for those who are applying for medicine in uni. But what do you guys get tested on? And why is there an extract test for people wanting to do medicine?! it is just discriminatory.

excuse me for my lack of knowledge, because frankly I'd never have the slightest intention to do medicine or to become a doctor in my 18 years of life.
I know...I hate the damn thing! But I'd rather do the UMAT again and again and again rather than sit GAMSAT which is 6 hours long!!!! X_x

Well, the need for UMAT is this, I think. Heaps and heaps and heaps of people want to do medicine right? UAI's cut the numbers down. But there are still heaps and heaps of people who want to do medicine. So they use the UMAT to cut down these numbers. But what if there are still heaps more people left? They use the interview which will finally decide who will study and who will not! *sigh*

Soooo...the UMAT is just a test used to narrow down the number of people who want do medicine, until there is just enough for a class.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
UNCLE = University of Newcastle and when Wooz refers to "Bond" he's talking about Bond University which is a private university in Queensland (so there are no Commonwealth Supported Places).

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
Thanks a BUNCH Wooz. I would so give you a block of choclate for that! ^^

Just the abbreviations...umm eheh! XD What does UNCLE stand for and what exactly is bond? I've heard of rural bond where you have to work in a rural area for 6 years after you get your degree, but nothing about just 'Bond'.
University of Newcastle
Bond University... James Bond university that is. www.bond.edu.au it's full fee paying 52k+ up front each year and you are not guarenteed an internship place after 2013 as it is a private full-fee university.

Be careful with the MRBS scholarship you get $22,800 (tax free) every year your at uni, but you have to work for 6 years following your 3 year rural general practice training. If you break the contract you will loose your practicing licence for about 10 years, I think. :burn: Honestry, if you have no intential to work in a rural place, or have no idea don't f*ing take it. There are alot of rural/remote students who would make brilliant doctors but unfortunatly miss-out.

HSC
Wooz said:
University of Newcastle
Bond University... James Bond university that is. www.bond.edu.au it's full fee paying 52k+ up front each year and you are not guarenteed an internship place after 2013 as it is a private full-fee university.

Be careful with the MRBS scholarship you get $22,800 (tax free) every year your at uni, but you have to work for 6 years following your 3 year rural general practice training. If you break the contract you will loose your practicing licence for about 10 years, I think. :burn: Honestry, if you have no intential to work in a rural place, or have no idea don't f*ing take it. There are alot of rural/remote students who would make brilliant doctors but unfortunatly miss-out.
*Stares at amount* O_O *cough* Ahem... I don't think I'll be applying for Bond then! XD

Well I've lived in a rural area for some time and I have lived in the city too. To be honest with you, I don't mind the rural-ness much! So I don't mind it if I had to work in a rural are for 10 years or so. But I'd be working in different rural areas because I really don't like staying in one spot for too long XD

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
*Stares at amount* O_O *cough* Ahem... I don't think I'll be applying for Bond then! XD

Well I've lived in a rural area for some time and I have lived in the city too. To be honest with you, I don't mind the rural-ness much! So I don't mind it if I had to work in a rural are for 10 years or so. But I'd be working in different rural areas because I really don't like staying in one spot for too long XD
6 years, you may get sent to places and forceed to sign other contracts, etc I think. Can't be stuffed reading the contract.

Department of Health and Ageing - Medical Rural Bonded Scholarship (MRBS) Scheme

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Six years is okay! ^^ But you're forced to sign contracts??? O_O That doesn't seem right. >_<
The scheme is a contract with the Commonwealth, break it and your in deep do-do :D.

singh.with.me

HSC
ICARUS or MedEntry??
anyone tried either, maybe both?

also, i know acer and unis say "we dont recommend umat prep courses blah blah" but do you you still think it would be good to do one? any opinions?
thanks for any advice in advance =]

Sanni, from what i have heard, many people find section 1 the hardest if that makes it any better(?) hmm probably not.

am i right in thinking that the main challenge to the umat is time management? meaning: its not so much WHAT is assessed but HOW MUCH is assessed in those short 150 mins?

edit: sorry i didnt read the other threads touching on the prep courses comparisons etc.. before posting this =[

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Think you shoudl get medentry, but just the exam papers...

HSC
singh.with.me said:
ICARUS or MedEntry??
anyone tried either, maybe both?

also, i know acer and unis say "we dont recommend umat prep courses blah blah" but do you you still think it would be good to do one? any opinions?
thanks for any advice in advance =]

Sanni, from what i have heard, many people find section 1 the hardest if that makes it any better(?) hmm probably not.

am i right in thinking that the main challenge to the umat is time management? meaning: its not so much WHAT is assessed but HOW MUCH is assessed in those short 150 mins?

edit: sorry i didnt read the other threads touching on the prep courses comparisons etc.. before posting this =[
Well I've been told that the best ones are MedEntry and Face2Face. But practise exams with MedEntry is all online which has it's advantages (marks compared with other prep students) and disadvatages (not like the real thing). Yeah, I was dissuaded in doing a prep course, but that was for the interview. The uni peoples said to BE YOURSELF XD As if you can be yourself when people are assessing on what you are like as yourself! XD

But I think I might definitely do MedEntry.... I just wish I could get those Face2Face past exam papers for free... *sigh*

I LOATHE section 1 and 3 which is the reason I really need to practise XD And it does kinda make me feel better that I'm not the only one that struggles with damn section 1! XD

Yeah, time management is VERY important.... T_T But you can only become better with time management if you practise more and more...

I hope that kinda helped! XD

HSC
Wooz said:
The scheme is a contract with the Commonwealth, break it and your in deep do-do :D.
Aww...that gives me the creeps because I usually stuff up something without meaning to ~_~ ....like breaking three test tubes all in the same day XD

But I guess I really ought to research it a bit more. Notheless, I think I will stick to it! ^^ If I don't well.... I really have no way of getting into med! XD Since with the rural schemes the UAI cut off is much lower, i.e. you need a UAI of 90+ not 95+. So yeah...... and I didn't get a UAI of 95+ X_x

lionking1191

HSC
Aww...that gives me the creeps because I usually stuff up something without meaning to ~_~ ....like breaking three test tubes all in the same day XD

But I guess I really ought to research it a bit more. Notheless, I think I will stick to it! ^^ If I don't well.... I really have no way of getting into med! XD Since with the rural schemes the UAI cut off is much lower, i.e. you need a UAI of 90+ not 95+. So yeah...... and I didn't get a UAI of 95+ X_x
apart from the choosing an area of work-shortage there's also a time limit on when you have to be qualified by, so no extended gap years PG/careers changes/failing subjects if you are on bonded

bored.of.u

HSC
You got a uai of 99.95 + ???? O_O Holy cow.... i'm so jealous... but 'tis my fault for not studying as hard as I should have.... Actually I'm planning on re-applying to study med at UNSW through the rural scheme...where the uai criteria is 90 +
dp got a UAI of 100 i think

HSC
bored.of.u said:
dp got a UAI of 100 i think
Whoa... O_O Really??? I'm impressed! ^^

singh.with.me said:
anything wrong with the drills?!
What do you mean by this? o_O

lionking1191 said:
apart from the choosing an area of work-shortage there's also a time limit on when you have to be qualified by, so no extended gap years PG/careers changes/failing subjects if you are on bonded
I didn't know that you had a time limit O_O Hmm....

dp624

HSC
singh.with.me said:
anything wrong with the drills?!
Well te drills aren't as useful
I suppose it's extra stuff you can on top of the exams.
But IMO exams + feedback is more than enough for UMAT

singh.with.me

HSC
{edit: hey are the drills easier than the actual exams?}
anyway, thanks dp. wont waste time on them then
atleast not until i start/finish the exams.
=]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)