Uni Advice - Which Law School? (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
I don't think there are any - oh, what a shame, then I guess we can't use these supposed 'rankings' in the discussion then ... :)
That's correct. therefore we will have to stick with the ranking systems for soely universities, which is in line with the first post that was created in this thread. :p

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
To do so would be illogical. Let me explain with a little analogous example:

* I want to work in a company with good childcare policies.
* Someone has 'ranked' companies A, B and C according to their overall business success.
* No ranking of A, B and C can be found viz child care specifically.
* I shall therefore rely only on the rankings on overall business success to make my decision.

This is patently absurd because the decision is being made based on 'evidence' that does not answer the question originally put. The 'ranking' is being used only for the sake of using a ranking, which should itself strike any rational observer as absurd.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think its a bit immature for Sydney Law School students to be getting so narky about the government rankings being brought up. You KNOW your school has the prestige, stop trying to deny people the right to highlight the achievements of their own universities.

ManlyChief

HSC
Ms 12 said:
I think its a bit immature for Sydney Law School students to be getting so narky about the government rankings being brought up. You KNOW your school has the prestige, stop trying to deny people the right to highlight the achievements of their own universities.
How dare you post such rubbish. I was doing nothing of the sort.

Had you even bothered to read posts I have made here about 'rankings' you would probably be better able to comprehend my pont.

Had you even bothered to read the thread and understand the context of the post, you would have realised that the post was not an 'attack' on UoW.

Unlike you, I have disassociated my comments from the slagging match between universities - I am sick and tired of any comment a University of Sydney student makes here being shot down by people who think that the only way to support their institution is to attack another. It is not a zero-sum game.

It is people like you who attach the label of 'prestige' to certain universities, I do not claim it, so don't you dare put such words into my mouth or claim to know my thoughts on the matter, because clearly, you do not.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Ms 12 said:
That's incorrect... if he wanted to discuss rankings, he could have cited a number of them including Times and Shanghai, which are currently PERCEIVED by media, at the very least, as commanding 'authority'. Surely he would gain the upper hand in doing so.

Manly was trying to discredit rankings in general... I don't think it had anything to do with him being a Sydney Law student trying to put down somebody from UoW.

ManlyChief

HSC
Omnidragon said:
That's incorrect... if he wanted to discuss rankings, he could have cited a number of them including Times and Shanghai, which are currently PERCEIVED by media, at the very least, as commanding 'authority'. Surely he would gain the upper hand in doing so.

Manly was trying to discredit rankings in general... I don't think it had anything to do with him being a Sydney Law student trying to put down somebody from UoW.
I'm glad at least someone could see my point.

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
To do so would be illogical. Let me explain with a little analogous example:

* I want to work in a company with good childcare policies.
* Someone has 'ranked' companies A, B and C according to their overall business success.
* No ranking of A, B and C can be found viz child care specifically.
* I shall therefore rely only on the rankings on overall business success to make my decision.

This is patently absurd because the decision is being made based on 'evidence' that does not answer the question originally put. The 'ranking' is being used only for the sake of using a ranking, which should itself strike any rational observer as absurd.
I know you don't like rankings but I am only pointing out that there were in fact surveys of such sort undertaken recently. It is still in line with the ORIGINAL question if you would so kindly as to re-read it.
I respect the fact that you are unsatisfied with rankings overall. Maybe you should write a thesis or something about it in an attempt to discredit all the academics which contribute to such ranking systems.

Again, I must stress that the ORIGINAL questions raised the issue of rankings. If you don't like it you can either post up more thoughts on why rankings should be banned (to contribute to the discussion) or ignore it and leave. :)

Thank you.

ManlyChief

HSC
santaslayer said:
I know you don't like rankings but I am only pointing out that there were in fact surveys of such sort undertaken recently. It is still in line with the ORIGINAL question if you would so kindly as to re-read it.
I respect the fact that you are unsatisfied with rankings overall. Maybe you should write a thesis or something about it in an attempt to discredit all the academics which contribute to such ranking systems.

Again, I must stress that the ORIGINAL questions raised the issue of rankings. If you don't like it you can either post up more thoughts on why rankings should be banned (to contribute to the discussion) or ignore it and leave. :)

Thank you.
Actually, the 'rankings' in the original question were not referred to with a view to asking us about them,

Hello there!

I am an international student, and have applied to several universities with the intention of completing a LLB/BA course.
I've done quite a bit of research on the various rankings of the universities, but would nevertheless want your opinions about each university. What about the environment in these cities? What is it like?
The student clearly has seen the rankings and is not actually asking us about them, but rather is asking us about our 'opinions' and the 'environment' in each city. The 'rankings' are not material to answering such questions, or, alternatively, do not constitute the best way of answering this question. That was the point I have been trying to make by shying away from a discussion of rankings.

Your little 'go off and write a thesis' quip, that's actually quite amusing and I'll award a smilie face for your effort: :) . But apart from that, I'm drawing a line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and will refuse to comment any further on this thread.

Have a fun summer,
:)

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
Actually, the 'rankings' in the original question were not referred to with a view to asking us about them,

The student clearly has seen the rankings and is not actually asking us about them, but rather is asking us about our 'opinions' and the 'environment' in each city. The 'rankings' are not material to answering such questions, or, alternatively, do not constitute the best way of answering this question. That was the point I have been trying to make by shying away from a discussion of rankings.

Your little 'go off and write a thesis' quip, that's actually quite amusing and I'll award a smilie face for your effort: :) . But apart from that, I'm drawing a line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and will refuse to comment any further on this thread.

Have a fun summer,
:)
I would of liked to give my opinion on each university based upon the rankings I referred to. The thread creator doesn't seem to be comming back anyway. BYE! :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
ManlyChief said:
^ Do you ever get tired of prancing around about this?
This is what I was talking about. It was condascending and there have been several comments like it when Santa brings it up.

You've been very quick to find a way to give credence to rankings that place your school at the top, but even quicker to discredit anything else which places the underdog a little higher "errr! its not a ranking its a funding system, how dare you say its a ranking errrr!". Its come up in numerous threads and its time to get over it.

My point is that most of you attend law schools with very good names, you know it, we all know it, so there is no need to get defensive over these government rankings when they are posted.

ManlyChief

HSC
Ms 12 said:
You've been very quick to find a way to give credence to rankings that place your school at the top, but even quicker to discredit anything else which places the underdog a little higher "errr! its not a ranking its a funding system, how dare you say its a ranking errrr!". Its come up in numerous threads and its time to get over it.
You are lying :(

I have consistently made a point of disapproving ALL RANKINGS.

You have either:

(a) decided to lie and misrepresent my posts in order to save what ever face you think you have lost after your post from yesterday was so roundly trumped; or

(b) you are ignorant of my position on these things, but so arrogant that you think you can speak with authority on them anyway.

EDIT:

Since you are obviously too busy to find the evidence of my opinions yourself, I think I had better cite some posts myself ... have a squiz at:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=1980479&postcount=5
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=1994918&postcount=53
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=1997413&postcount=68
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=2002701&postcount=76
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=2003955&postcount=81
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=1866526&postcount=24
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=1862746&postcount=15

EDIT x 2: For the record I actually really like law students (and other students) from all universities, UoW included.

EDIT x 3: I try to be nice, I really do ... I am sure you are nice, and we should all be able to get along in a nice, nice world. Let's put away the unhappy faces and play nice from now on ... :)

Last edited:

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Ah the ugly beast of the inferiority complex rears its head.

You as a law student should have learnt by now to back up your arguments Ms 12. I don't believe that ManlyChief has ever affirmed any rankings whatsoever let alone those which credit USYD, your shallow insecurities about going to UoW have led you to rant and rave and resort to childish syllabic sounds (Errr???).

Oh and it is spelt condescending (I just realised the brilliant irony of me telling you this).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
My point is that most of you attend law schools with very good names, you know it, we all know it, so there is no need to get defensive over these government rankings when they are posted.
there no need to be hatin'.

i, for my own part, have consistently pointed out how kickass UWS law kids are. especially the really bright ones that win mooting comps.

mr manly has always posted in this forum with great orange cordiality, he seems like a friendly guy, just coz he goes to USyd doesn't mean he's an arrogant prick. :p

i went to UTS, i go to UNSW, i got exams on friday, tuesday and wednesday. don't be hatin' y'all. :)

strummerchick

HSC
N/A
Well, I certainly didn't expect this discussion to evolve in this way...

I never meant to limit the breadth and depth of your opinions/comments with my original question. Thanks for anyone and everyone who replied:)

Well, I've decided to go to Monash..

Thanks again, perhaps I shall see you around in Melbourne.:)

ManlyChief

HSC
strummerchick said:
Well, I certainly didn't expect this discussion to evolve in this way...

I never meant to limit the breadth and depth of your opinions/comments with my original question. Thanks for anyone and everyone who replied:)

Well, I've decided to go to Monash..

Thanks again, perhaps I shall see you around in Melbourne.:)
Have fun :) Sounds like fun :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You didn't discredit anything I said with your neatly hightlighted, underlined and cited post. Leave Santa and his rankings be, if he wants to post them, he will. And has every right to.

As far as Soma's little comment goes, if I was insecure about attending UOW, do you think I would be sitting behind this computer screen making it common knowledge to all the Usyd and UNSW law school students that thats where I went? I had my choice of all 7 law schools and if you have a reason to think I should be ashamed of my school please enlighten us all right here so I can know what your exact thoughts are.

Soma said:
Oh and it is spelt condescending (I just realised the brilliant irony of me telling you this).
And actually, I think you'll find both spellings are acceptable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)