Unsw co-op 2009 (1 Viewer)

Spik3balloon

HSC
hi guys, i am a yr 11 going on to yr 12 student, just would like to know what i need to do besides study to get in to coop unsw? anything like leadership camps or community work?
Extracurricular activities, examples of leadership, and community work won't do you any harm. They are looking for well-rounded students.

mary yang

HSC
Extracurricular activities, examples of leadership, and community work won't do you any harm. They are looking for well-rounded students.
do you know any good leadership camps or activities that's worth going? or any that you have attanded? because i don't really know anything about it, my life is basics set for school.... how boring, i know...

untouchablecuz

HSC
sports (soccer)
work (oporto for 2.5 years)
community activities (with local church)
peer support, debating team, tutor etc

this is basically what my extra curriculars are made up of and i got an electrical offer

Pupzrollin

HSC
Ahh...to my shock, I got conditional for Actuarial Studies and shortlisted for Finance. >.<

Kind of reeling in a state of disbelief. >.>

And well done to everyone else~ ^^
Hey was ur interview for co-op at 3:00 by any chance... coz ur the first one that i know of to receive an offer for actuarial

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I got rejected. Ghey.

Who got accepted for Industrial Chem? Come here and i'll stab 'em in the back.. I mean give them a pat on the back.

Akaru-Hime

Rawr~
HSC
Hey was ur interview for co-op at 3:00 by any chance... coz ur the first one that i know of to receive an offer for actuarial
Nope. I was at 11AM. xD

A question: If you accept one offer, but you're hoping for the other which you're on shortlist, by accepting offer A mean that you're taken off the shortlist for offer B?

blueberry08

HSC
cant get through!!! =(
nd hope every1 got what they wanted for atar =)

Akaru-Hime

Rawr~
HSC
Surprisingly, I was also offered the finance scholarship too this afternoon, so I'm juggling between actuarial and finance~

Alas... I don't know what to do. Which one is better and what would you people chose in this situation?

Thecorey0

HSC
Surprisingly, I was also offered the finance scholarship too this afternoon, so I'm juggling between actuarial and finance~

Alas... I don't know what to do. Which one is better and what would you people chose in this situation?
Just remember that you cannot double-major if you do the finance co-op. Ultimately both are basically guarnteed jobs, which industry would you prefer to be in?

asgunu

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

Could I get your advice? I applied for both the finance and accounting coops, and got offered the accounting coop. I also have a high enough ATAR to get into Comm/Law at UNSW.

If i want to work in more front-office stuff in the future, eg management consulting or even IB, should I go for the coop or comm/law?

Also, is it fairly easy to get into internships at investment banks when doing Comm/Law?

Thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey guys

Could I get your advice? I applied for both the finance and accounting coops, and got offered the accounting coop. I also have a high enough ATAR to get into Comm/Law at UNSW.

If i want to work in more front-office stuff in the future, eg management consulting or even IB, should I go for the coop or comm/law?

Also, is it fairly easy to get into internships at investment banks when doing Comm/Law?

Thanks
Do Law only if you are passionate about it.

But yeah, many of my mates went to Comm/law and they got internships at Macq bank, E&Y and stuff. Bottom line is, if you are good enough for Coop, you are probably good enough for internships which pay you alot.

asgunu

HSC
N/A
Do Law only if you are passionate about it.

But yeah, many of my mates went to Comm/law and they got internships at Macq bank, E&Y and stuff. Bottom line is, if you are good enough for Coop, you are probably good enough for internships which pay you alot.
hmm...but i was wondering, arent the internships really hard to get into, with several rounds of interviews or whatever?

Basically, im worried that if i do comm/law, i'll be all study orientated and not have the necessary stuff to get into internships etc.

Im not really sure if i have a great interest in law, so should i still consider Commlaw>Accounting Coop, simply due to commlaw providing greater challenge and a legal background, which employers may look favourably upon?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hmm...but i was wondering, arent the internships really hard to get into, with several rounds of interviews or whatever?

Basically, im worried that if i do comm/law, i'll be all study orientated and not have the necessary stuff to get into internships etc.

Im not really sure if i have a great interest in law, so should i still consider Commlaw>Accounting Coop, simply due to commlaw providing greater challenge and a legal background, which employers may look favourably upon?
If you are just doing law/comm for the sake of being favourly looked upon by the potential employers, you really shouldn't do it. Comm/law is considerably heavier than Accounting Coop and you must have some interest in the course to stay motivated to do well.

Speaking of internships, as long as you get good grades (D+ recommended) with some evidence of extra curricular activities, you shouldn't have problem getting in. Besides, the fact that you got into Accounting Coop shows again that you have what it takes to get intership later on. Also, I believe that getting intership is not easy but it's probably easier compared to getting coop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)